Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I recon its fairly staight forward to put a 1800cc twinspark engine in a vehicle with a 1600cc engine, ive done a number of twinspark engine changes.But has anyone done it i.e 1.8 in a 1.6 and were there adverse effects.I have a 147 with a blown engine and have been offered a low mileage 1800cc 156 with accident damage as the doner vehicle.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
1.6 has put a rod through the block but the ancillaries and manifolds coilpacks wiring etc are ok its only the 1.8 block and head that will be put into the 147 all else is original.The manifold holds the ecu so the 1.6 ecu will run with the mix and match hopefully .................

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I could be wrong but the 105 bhp twin spark model does not have a variator on the inlet camshaft, also does anyone know if a 1.8 will fit in a 1.6 car the 1.6 manifold exhaust manifold and wiring etc etc would be put on the 1.8 block/head.Come on guys someone must know im sure its been considered before!!

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Yes your rite it is the 1.6 105bhp euro model that doesnt have the variable inlet manifold, they UK 120bhp has.

Exhaust manifold should be the same, as both 1.6 and 2.0 ones are the same so i dont see how the 1.8 would be different.

I think you'll be fine with this conversion, as a friend of mine has a 147 2.0 Selespeed which was getting serviced and cambelt done and we found that the last stupid owner who did the engine job put a 1.8 block on the car. Hence no balancer shaft belt so slightly cheaper cambelt change :lol:

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Thanx for the reply p.s. i meant inlet camshaft but we both/all knew what was meant.Im aware that some engines can have alternative engines fitted of the same type and the end result is fine. It used to happen with the smaller punto engines and also most rover k series engines. Being as it essentially only the block that i will swap all else remains the same i will give it a try for the fun of it!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts