Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm working my way through my Spider restoration, currently dealing with the engine bay.
I’m looking around for the firewall lining. Mine disintegrated, with a bit of my help. Tried few breakers but no luck with any in a re-usable condition so thought to ask here if someone can tip off how to get hold of one?
I'm also considering trying to rebuild this. There are some materials avaialble, Butyl/Aluminium combination, being modern would propably do a better than OEM job, I would like however to maintain a original look, which is a black fabric type of appearance on the outside. Also, the original is having a rather rigid structure, as the insulation materials are sitting on top of some sort of formed composite.
Any tips on how to tackle that? Suggestions on materials?
Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
421 Posts
I tried to find a replacement for mine which was badly stained and torn in places the foam backing was also starting to disintegrate in places. I managed to get it off in one piece removing everything from the bulkhead first. They are apparently impossible to find new for RHD cars at least. I re-covered my old one with this which did a great job in my opinion. Because of the shape of the old heat reflector you can't just do parallel bands cross the whole piece. I decided to focus primarily on the top which was clearly visible. Don't worry about the direction or size of the new pieces of foil further down. The joins don't show very much from a distance and the whole effect being clean and shiny is way better than the old one. I made radial or parallel cuts from the centre of any holes or indents and wrapped the excess around the back. As it wouldn't stick to the foam very well I used a hot glue gun to keep the flaps in place. Overall very happy with the result. I will try and find some pictures.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Great, thanks for the info.
I have to say, your silver wall looks decent and I'm now thinking trying to find one in a poor state then do what you've done. I lost most of the structural bit from my original lining.
I will see how lucky I am trying to find one.

BTW - from the photos, seem it was a major rebuild - all finished and up and running?

·
Registered
421 Posts
BTW - from the photos, seem it was a major rebuild - all finished and up and running?
Not running yet but most of the parts are back in the engine bay at least. I moved house 7 weeks ago so the pressure was on to at least get it back on four wheels so it could be put onto a transporter and moved 70 miles! Waiting for the weather to improve and the new house DIY jobs list to diminish then I will be back on it. I want to do the rear sub-frame too so might be a while. It will need some welding too. Really like the job you have done on the rear and underneath. Hopefully I can get mine to something like you have achieved!
IMG_3818.jpg

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Not running yet but most of the parts are back in the engine bay at least. I moved house 7 weeks ago so the pressure was on to at least get it back on four wheels so it could be put onto a transporter and moved 70 miles! Waiting for the weather to improve and the new house DIY jobs list to diminish then I will be back on it. I want to do the rear sub-frame too so might be a while. It will need some welding too. Really like the job you have done on the rear and underneath. Hopefully I can get mine to something like you have achieved!
View attachment 953558
All looking very smart, that's exactly the sort of enginebay condition I would like to achieve.

I started mine from the rear and the floor, finally concluded and with the bits on the car, my microscopic garage de-cluttered so I'm now tackling the engine and the front. It is a 3.0 spider I purchased last year, looking to upgrade on my 2.0 I now sold. Managed to find one for sensible money, driving well, but not really something I could get on the road. Last MOT'd 6 years ago, but from milage, standing still for the last decade which had an effect. So working my way through, and pushing hard to finish before the summer ends.
Didn't really plan innitially to go this deep, but I just can't help it :) My current dilema - with the engine out and stripped from auxilaries, mainly for cleanup and belts + clutch - Being so close - should I strip the heads to profilactically change the head gaskets, drop the sump to at least inspect the bottom end, change all shaft seals. Not that it needs it...and this is how it all grows :)

·
Registered
421 Posts
Fantastic work Dzienj, that rear suspension is definitely up there with some of the best rebuild work I have seen. I know what you mean about the getting sucked in to a seemingly endless list of things to do 'as I have got this far might as well do x then y etc. etc. So far I have done the single mass flywheel conversion (found leaking rear crank seal, then quite worn big end and main bearings all replaced, crankshaft journals polished) new clutch slave and master cylinders (MC a complete bast*rd to replace even with the engine out), Alfaholics handling kit, Quaife Diff, lots of new/replated bolts/pulleys and fittings. New aux belt tensioners and pulleys. New brake master cylinder and brake lines from the ABS, complete front suspension rebuild (strut, springs, droplinks, bolts. top mounts, wishbones) ABS sensors, wheel bearings, track rod ends. Refurbed Brembos. Cleaned, de-rusted and re-painted front sub frame. I have had the coil cover, plenum and cam covers polished but on reflection :D I would just have them vapour blasted clean and leave with a matt finish if I did it again. I'm sure there is a lot more too. Only been at it for 5 years so far! It will all be worth it in the end though.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeppey, finally, after weeks of pastering sellers and breakers, I finally managed to find someone who was keen enough to get the panel off a spider and sell it to me. Cloverbreakers is the place, very decent and helpfull people/person. Condition seems decent enought and collecting it this weekend, along with few other bits and pieces.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
And on a more general note of where I am with the rest now...
Stuck with the engine on the bottom end and the shell selection but decided to move on and get on with it.
Heads all ready for it, nice and shiny. Covers and plenum, all painted ( although aquablasted first, but the effect was terrible) Tones of new parts, seals, gaskets, pulleys all waiting to be assembled. Gearbox finished, stripped, cleaned, inspected and re-sealed. And of course the most important - busso intake thrumpets - re-chromed.

I hope this time next week - I will have the engine sorted. Another two weeks or so, engine back in the engine bay, and hopefully in arround a month - the car back on the wheels !!

·
Registered
421 Posts
Amazing. Glad it is all coming together now. Have the aquablasted covers been painted now or is that the final finish. What didn't you like about the aquablast finish? Did you have the gearbox casing blasted as well? I spent ages with alu cleaners which were a waste of time on the whole. Out of interest where did you get the plating and blasting done? Always worth a mention for others who will be inspired by this in the future and want to do the same.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Amazing. Glad it is all coming together now. Have the aquablasted covers been painted now or is that the final finish. What didn't you like about the aquablast finish? Did you have the gearbox casing blasted as well? I spent ages with alu cleaners which were a waste of time on the whole. Out of interest where did you get the plating and blasting done? Always worth a mention for others who will be inspired by this in the future and want to do the same.
My initial approach was to just aquablast them, I didn't wanted to get it painted , wanted to stay original, raw aluminium and hoped for a nice,clean,like-new look.
Place I've used was a Bosch injection refurb garage closeby. I used them in the past for injectors and knew they have an vapourblaster. They took the job onboard, but with the equippment they have and after spending a lot of time, only achieved the below.

I tried to brush all the "blackness" out, but ended up with very un-uniform finish. At that point I decided to paint. So high temp etch primed it all and after trying multiple paints for colour, went with motip engine enamel as the top coat.

Ref the alu brightners - I confirm- waste of time, at least with the ones I've tried.
What I used on the block and gearbox is a tip from one of the toolmakers we use at work. Yellow wire brush to get the scale off, dremell in the cavities, then parafin + scotch brite to pull up the colour and uniform the surface. It is labout intensive and doesn't produce "like new" effect, but leaves the parts fresh and clean. The heads were hot bathed at the machine shop and came out clean, but still had to remove some scale afterwards using same method.

For the plating, I had 3 dispatches so far, all I'm dropping is cleaned, derusted and wirebrushed.
1) Derby Plating - used them for Rear suspention and underbody bits + few engine parts + trumpets chroming. £300+VAT combined, two passivation colours, 4wks lead time. Pricey( mainly the chrome) but great quality.
2) Nune Street Plating Derby - used them for engine parts, all wired, yellow passivation - £100+VAT. I also did the gearbox parts all wired £30 +VAT - lead times up to a week. Great quality, good price, great people. They also powder coat and did my engine bits.

·
Registered
421 Posts
I used Derby Plating for my inlet runners too! Bizarrely, I did think when I saw your photos that they may have been done by them by the way they were wrapped up. Thanks for the tip on the gearbox cleaning I gave up on mine in the end as I needed to get it back in.

What did you have Derby Plating do on the rear suspension? I haven't done mine yet but wasn't aware there was much that needed plating other than the bolts and it doesn't sound like you used them for those?

Do I take it you live in the East Mids. then dzienj?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Burton on Trent is where I'm based, a town of many smells, breweries, marmite plant, pirelli tires, nestle instant coffee factory.
People living here are assessing wind direction with their noses, although I'm not yet there :)

We've got a plater here, called Lorec, actually - less then a quarter of a mile away from me, but it was such an interesting experience to talk with the gentleman that I decided to go to Derby. That said, I'm subjective and I'm sure he does the magic in his trade.

The Derby Platers job was all the fasteners for the rear/front suspention and the floor ( they don't do embrittlement though, but I decided to cut a corner here), all the exhaust and underbody bracketry, rear and front caliper bits, all the suspention bracketry, fuel rails, radiator fans motors.

P.S Spend some time today on the engine, all smooth, but now stuck on the camlocks not fitting :mad: - just created another post for it.

·
Registered
421 Posts
I used to be on the Notts/Derby border but have since moved to West Yorkshire. Burton breweries are wonderful, done a few tours over the years.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Still few bits and pieces to do, loom to re-wrap and few missing bolts, but I'll call it "assembled" :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts