Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

As we got into winter this year, I topped up the antifreeze level. Since then, the engine has run quite cold, only getting up to 90 degrees when I'm sat in traffic. I had initilly put this down to the freezing conditions we've all sufferred, but the problem continues.

I don't think its the thernmostat, as the engine does get upto 90 if im driving in town and queuing etc.

Could I have addedd too much antifreeze? It must be due for a change now anyway - is it a difficult job for a novice to drain and refil?

·
Registered
30,246 Posts
If the temperature is dropping on the move then you need a new thermostat.

Too much antifreeze will not make it run cold...

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the advice. Is it an easy job for a novice, or am I better getting it to an Indy?

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Only getting up to 90º?? That's BANG ON what it should be! If it was getting higher before then clearly you had a problem with the old coolant not doing its job properly. Good quality antifreeze/coolant is always going to exchange heat better than plain water or old coolant that no longer has all its properties.

90º in all conditions (traffic/motorway) is ideally where it should be at.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What I meant was, the only occasions it actually gets up to the expected 90 degree mark, is when Im sat in traffic. After that it drops down to around 60 and stays there.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
OK, sorry, misread it :eek: New stat then! Easy enough DIY job and there is a step by step photo guide somwhere on AO specifically for the 156.

A

·
0 Posts
After spending 100 EUR for an unnecessary thermostat replacement, I'd get the real temperature checked first via Alfadiag / FiatECUscan / Unidiag. I've lost all confidence in the gauge, so...

·
Registered
11,591 Posts
I've got alfadiag, so how do I check the engine's actual temperature?
I suspect that if you stop your car when the temperature is showing 60C and TURN ENGINE OFF
and only then touch the radiator (do not want to loose fingers in fan if it comes on ;)) ,
you will find the radiator cold or lukewarm if the temperature is actually 60C and caused by a faulty Thermostat.

·
Registered
7,120 Posts
a freshly changed stat should be at 90 within 2/3 miles or 7/8 minutes if in stop/start traffic based on when I changed ours

HTH

·
Registered
581 Posts
After spending 100 EUR for an unnecessary thermostat replacement, I'd get the real temperature checked first via Alfadiag / FiatECUscan / Unidiag. I've lost all confidence in the gauge, so...
My gauge doesn't agree with the Alfadiag (ECU) temperature either - it under reads quite a bit. Not sure if that means the ECU temperature is right though!

Strangely enough, I recently changed my water pump and changed the coolant (antifreeze) at the same time, and now the gauge appears to read ever so slightly lower. Not sure how that could be explained, unless the new coolant was somehow more efficient, or there was some blockage in the rad.

There again, after 1 year of Alfa ownership there's a strong possibilty I might be loosing my marbles :cheese:

·
Registered
581 Posts
Seems like it is a common issue for the gauge to disagree with the sensor reading from the ECU (Alfadiag reading). Maybe it is the gauge itself that is not accurate, rather than the sensor itself, I don't really know. DavidC might know!!

Am I right in thinking that there are two temperature sensors - one for the ECU, and one for the gauge? Seems strange to me that there needs to be two if they are both doing the same job.

Anyway, seeing as how my fuel gauge tells me I have loads more petrol when the car is facing downhill, I'd be inclined to take whatever the other gauges says with a pinch of salt!

·
Registered
5,002 Posts
Good quality antifreeze/coolant is always going to exchange heat better than plain water or old coolant that no longer has all its properties.
I'm afraid I disagree. You won't notice the difference between new and old coolant on the temperature gauge. And just remember, even using something like water wetter to improve the heat transfer, you won't see much benefit on the temperature gauge even if it keep the engine cooler!

·
Registered
581 Posts
Well, the thermal properties of water are a good bit different from ethylene glycol (major component of coolant/anti-freeze), so using 100% water as your coolant, versus a mix of the two will certainly behave differently.. in theory at least. However, whether this would be noticable on the temperature gauge of your Alfa is debabable. Obviously no-one should be using 100% water anyway..

1 - 20 of 25 Posts