Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, the QV looks like its going to be the real deal, but at upwards of £60K it's not going to sell to the normal punter is it?

So we are left with a couple of initial low powered options. I know it's very early days, but should we be worried that we are going to be left without a cooking engine in the range?

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hopefully they'll find their way here too, and that those numpties that voted us out of the EU won't hold things up!

·
Registered
13,688 Posts
Hopefully they'll find their way here too, and that those numpties that voted us out of the EU won't hold things up!
:paperbag: No matter they'll just stop and rust like all Alfa's anyway. Better off without :lol:

·
Registered
4,932 Posts
I am a little disapointed with the engine lineup. I was hoping for the Giulietta's 1.8 turbo or even a 1.4 multiair. I am surprised they went with large capacity turbo 4 pots.

·
Registered
699 Posts
The giulia is a bigger car ... ;)
But not really any heavier than a Giulietta.

I see the point, a 150 petrol at 2k less would be an option, after all you can buy a 316/316d as entry models.

I guess though that Alfa are trying to minimise development and keep an impressive minimum level of performance.

·
Registered
445 Posts
I don't think there will be a problem with smaller engines - Alfa is pushing the diesels in Europe for the mainstream / fleet market, and the one petrol version is quite clearly targeted towards a more enthusiastic customer - 200 Hp and a 0-100 in 6.6 are a clear lure to the petrol-loyal Alfisti of yesteryear and the odd 320i driver looking for a change, while also trying to reign in the GTI driver who had more...fun in the bedroom than at the wheel, and now needs a 4 door saloon with space and access for baby seats :D

It might actually be a very sound strategy; I am however surprised they went with a 2.2 capacity for the diesel, which in some markets with a "2L" psychological barrier might be a bit of a left of field bet.

I wouldn't be surprised if they develop something smaller down the line, like a 120-140 Hp 1.6-1.8 diesel, and I wouldn't discount a smaller turbo petrol, maybe a 1.6. The car's body is light enough for that, and the competition has such engines.

·
Registered
699 Posts
You've only got to look at used 159's available to see how few base model petrol engines were sold. They re-engineered a whole new head for the GM1.9 to make the JTS, which put out 160hp versus the 185 for the 2.2. After a couple of years they just dropped it and put the Astra Sri 1.8 140hp in anyway. They must have blown a whole load of money making the extra engine for most of the market to go straight to the 2.2 anyway.

I agree that the 200 petrol for the Giulia is probably going to be enough although if a 280 was available then maybe I'd stretch to it. They're quoting a 5.5 0-60 time for that in 4 wheel drive, so might be a touch lower if we do get it as would have a bit less weight in 2wd

·
Premium Member
7,698 Posts
....I agree that the 200 petrol for the Giulia is probably going to be enough although if a 280 was available then maybe I'd stretch to it. They're quoting a 5.5 0-60 time for that in 4 wheel drive, so might be a touch lower if we do get it as would have a bit less weight in 2wd
I think the current gap between 200 hp and 510 hp is way too big, also looking at giulietta being available with 240 hp ....

·
Registered
445 Posts
You've only got to look at used 159's available to see how few base model petrol engines were sold. They re-engineered a whole new head for the GM1.9 to make the JTS, which put out 160hp versus the 185 for the 2.2. After a couple of years they just dropped it and put the Astra Sri 1.8 140hp in anyway. They must have blown a whole load of money making the extra engine for most of the market to go straight to the 2.2 anyway.
Hold on, that is the UK or Australia; In Italy, the very very very few petrols sold were 1.9s, very few people would go to the 2.2, and here in Ireland seems to be the same - I wanted a 2.2, but simply couldn't find a second hand one at all, the few around are kept by enthusiasts who don't sell them often. Just like the 156 and 147 before, maybe over there the petrols are mostly 2.0TS, but elsewhere it's mostly 1.6s and 1.8s, with 2.0s being as rare as hen's teeth.

As a matter of fact, they slapped the 1.8 MPi in the 159 exactly because the market, especially in Italy, wanted a smaller petrol engine than the 1.9...

I agree that the 200 petrol for the Giulia is probably going to be enough although if a 280 was available then maybe I'd stretch to it. They're quoting a 5.5 0-60 time for that in 4 wheel drive, so might be a touch lower if we do get it as would have a bit less weight in 2wd
The 280 hp is the version I'm looking forward to myself, hopefully they won't make the "ah, sure it's no point in Europe" reasoning mistake.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I don't think there will be a problem with smaller engines - Alfa is pushing the diesels in Europe for the mainstream / fleet market, and the one petrol version is quite clearly targeted towards a more enthusiastic customer - 200 Hp and a 0-100 in 6.6 are a clear lure to the petrol-loyal Alfisti of yesteryear and the odd 320i driver looking for a change, while also trying to reign in the GTI driver who had more...fun in the bedroom than at the wheel, and now needs a 4 door saloon with space and access for baby seats :D
They did not planed smaller gasoline engine for this Alfa but still GSE is not yet ready. For me it's a more interesting to see if they will ever bring 350 HP version of GME to Europe.

It might actually be a very sound strategy; I am however surprised they went with a 2.2 capacity for the diesel, which in some markets with a "2L" psychological barrier might be a bit of a left of field bet.
It's simple at it's explained a lot of times. There is a 210 HP version and it has a single turbocharger unlike 2.0 diesels from direct competitors with similar.

I wouldn't be surprised if they develop something smaller down the line, like a 120-140 Hp 1.6-1.8 diesel, and I wouldn't discount a smaller turbo petrol, maybe a 1.6. The car's body is light enough for that, and the competition has such engines.
Can you translate this:
VIDEO/ Fma, gli operai rivendicano un nuovo motore per il rilancio. Spera: ?A Ottobre incontro con Fiat? | Irpinianews.it
ORTICALAB: libera, pungente e benefica
?

·
Registered
445 Posts
It's a bit lacking information and both articles are basically a big union pitch (FIOM is a mechanical worker's guild).

The basics of the story, mixing both articles, is that there is a nondescript "Aluminum 1600cc" engine being developed and the unions are trying to get the plant in Pratola Serra to be tasked with building it; They are currently building the cast iron based 1600cc which, they claim, will be rendered obsolete by the new one; The whole central point of the issue is that there's another FCA plant in Poland currently rated "gold", while Pratola is rated "silver" (we're talking about a combination of production, work safety, organization and so on), so the unions and workers are worried the new engine will go to the Polish plant and the one in PS will keep lingering in limbo (another part of the first article states they're currently paced at 400.000 engines/year while capacity is 500.000 / year, but they're also short of personnel).

It never specifies if this "new aluminum 1600cc engine" is a petrol or a diesel,nor about its final destination; Considering Pratola Serra is currently producing the 1.6 JTDm that sits under the hood of the Giulietta and the Bravo, I would say it's diesel they're talking about. Keeping in mind FCA's announced policy about differentiating Alfa engines from Fiat/Lancia, it would be logical to expect this aluminum diesel 1.6 to be an Alfa Romeo engine, possibly destined to the Giulietta successor and, hypothetically, for a baseline diesel Giulia to go in the 316d market niche...but it's all guesswork, really!

·
Registered
258 Posts
It's a bit lacking information and both articles are basically a big union pitch (FIOM is a mechanical worker's guild).

The basics of the story, mixing both articles, is that there is a nondescript "Aluminum 1600cc" engine being developed and the unions are trying to get the plant in Pratola Serra to be tasked with building it; They are currently building the cast iron based 1600cc which, they claim, will be rendered obsolete by the new one; The whole central point of the issue is that there's another FCA plant in Poland currently rated "gold", while Pratola is rated "silver" (we're talking about a combination of production, work safety, organization and so on), so the unions and workers are worried the new engine will go to the Polish plant and the one in PS will keep lingering in limbo (another part of the first article states they're currently paced at 400.000 engines/year while capacity is 500.000 / year, but they're also short of personnel).

It never specifies if this "new aluminum 1600cc engine" is a petrol or a diesel,nor about its final destination; Considering Pratola Serra is currently producing the 1.6 JTDm that sits under the hood of the Giulietta and the Bravo, I would say it's diesel they're talking about. Keeping in mind FCA's announced policy about differentiating Alfa engines from Fiat/Lancia, it would be logical to expect this aluminum diesel 1.6 to be an Alfa Romeo engine, possibly destined to the Giulietta successor and, hypothetically, for a baseline diesel Giulia to go in the 316d market niche...but it's all guesswork, really!
I know for development of this engine for quite some time but there was no hint from media until now. We're talking about 1600 cc diesel engine.

There were some rumors of 150 HP versions and that debut of that one could be inside of Fiat 500X.
Don't forget they said Alfa will share engines at the bottom but the other ones will be unique. They got unique block for 2.0 GME, right now there is no other usage of aluminium 2.2 diesel besides Alfa, and 690T V6 is just for Alfa. But I doubt they'll got such a treatment for upcoming 1.3 liter GSE and this future 1.6 diesel.

Question about factory is interesting. I have no doubt that engine blocks will be cast at Teksid Carmagnola plant.
But were they will assemble them is still the question. At Polish factory they're now producing TwinAir and 1.3 JTD. The first is near of end of life but I also doubt that the second has much more years ahead of it.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Popped into the Reading dealer earlier this week. Was greeted by a very enthusiastic young sales guy, who said that Alfa was being tight lipped but that Sept/Oct was still on and that the range would include a 290PS petrol!

1 - 20 of 41 Posts