Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, this is just a general question about engine changes on cars which use ecu. Can you use the existing ecu and electrics with a replacement engine or is it best to buy electrics with an engine. I have a headgasket failure on another project, previous owner said it had piston replacement and new headgasket but obviously it didn't or it wasn't done well! I may do engine swop as a cheaper alternative to new head kit depending on what I find when I take the head off... yeah I know... at least if you rebuild the engine you know its done... you could buy another duff motor etc..
I am sure its a dumb question but all my previous engine swops have been on old Land Rovers and Triumphs, this would be my first modern car transplant.:confused:

·
Registered
5,227 Posts
So long as its the same size engine it will work using the original ecu!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for that info, wasn't sure if the inlet and injection system where paired with an ecu at point of assembly/manufacture?
Cheers,:thumbs:

·
Registered
5,227 Posts
Nope. Depends which engines but general Alfas are interchangeable to a point.

·
Registered
9,601 Posts
Basically its more or less essential to keep the car's own ECU - if you use the ECU that comes with the donor engine you will need its code box and ignition key, or at least the chip out of the kay, as well.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts