Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if it's normal that with this cold weather (-7°C) after 10 km the engine isn't warm jet. When I drive it increases til 50-60 and when when I stop at the lights it hits 90 and than the fan kicks in.
Plus since I've replaced the cooling water I have a little leak. What do you guys think? Maybe the thermostat? How can I be sure? It's a 1.7TS

Cheers

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Once the cooling fan has kicked in, does the water stay about 90ºC or cool down to about the first mark on the temp guage again ???
If it cools down, I would suspect the thermostat. It may be that anyway as 10K (6 miles) is quite far to drive with a cold engine. Is there enough water in the system ??? Just asking as you say you've recently changed it.

Where is the leak ??? If it's from a join, you could tighten or replace the hose clip. If it's in the radiator itself, try using a "stop leak" thing like Radweld, which you add to the cooling system water and it seals small leaks.

Marlon

I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This does sounds like the thermostat - mine is the same - heats up to 90 degrees in traffic but drops again to just over 50 on an open road. Just bought a new thermostat this morning - this is a main dealer only part (for V6) and it was £24! But they insist on selling you the complete housing which seems like a bit of a rip-off.

Ian

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm gonna look at it this weekend, there is still enough water in it but it lost quite a bit, the level is about 0.5 cm under the arrow.

They said to me that new cooling water is more agressive than the dirty old rusty cooling water and also thinner. So that there is a chance that it will leak. Anyway it's got to be fine tuned.
I hate these spots under the car.
An Alfa doesn't leak.

I don't like the temperature level. How can I test if it's the thermostat or not?
What can it else be?

I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ooooo, aggressive water.....

Actually it's the antifreeze which acts as a 'leak seaker' (not fresh water) so if previously you didn't have much antifreeze but now you've put the correct amount in this could increase the possibility of leaks.

I test a thermostat by suspending it on a bit of string in a saucepan and boiling the water - it should open fully well before the water boils and close again as the water cools. Make sure the thermostat doesn't touch the saucepan sides or bottom, hence the string to suspend it. Using a cooking thermometer in the water (if you have one) will tell you the temperature that it opens at. Obviously, if the thermostat is open when you take it off the car (cold) then it's definitely scrap anyway and this test is pointless.

Ian

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Similar problems to my knackered thermostat. Turned out there wasn't a thermostat in it at all in the end! Some goof had just taken it out when it stopped working!

Cold all the time, till traffic, then warm, then cold again when a bit of road showed up!

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
mine reaches about 95, when i stop at the red lights, or in slow traffick, considering i live in a hot country i guess its normal. on open road its like 85-90.

is that OK?

N

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yeh that sounds ok the fan should come on at around 93.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
stil sounds a bit hot, mine was like that last year, in the summer ( yeh, yeh, like we have one) but the radiator fins were corroded away, check them out, it has solved many a heating issue..

1 - 10 of 10 Posts