Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You know when you lift your foot off the throttle & the engine "brakes" naturally (I'm sure there's a technical term for it....), well my GTV V6 definitely feels like the engine's braking more severely than usual when I've lifted my foot off the accelerator. Feels a bit annoying. Does anyone know the reason why / how to sort it? I know my lambda sensors are a bit iffy (confirmed by Gus at Alfatune) so I'm guessing it's down to that ... just saving up now to replace them.

Ta!

·
Registered
30,221 Posts
Are your brakes dragging?

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
I've had that before when the throttle body has thrown the toys out of the pram on a couple of occasions. Doing the throttle calibration (key in but not on for 90 secs then off) seemed to sort it out. Noticed the idle seemed particularly low when it happened to me too.

Sent from my D5503 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
248 Posts
If I ease off suddenly in 2nd or 3rd during a steep acceleration, there is a considerable drop in revs, quite a bit of engine braking, but if the acceleration is moderate and the engine has gained some momentum, then there's less engine braking. I've got a lighter flywheel from a 2.5 V6 engine on mine, which takes a bit more for the engine to gain momentum, but it does accelerate/decelerate a bit quicker. Do you have the standard dual mass flywheel on yours?

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies chaps. Good idea Hobson, will definitely give the re-set a try, though it doesn't idle particularly low at idle.

Antonius - as far as I'm aware it's the standard flywheel I have on mine. I bought it 4 years ago & there's no invoices saying a lightweight one has been fitted.

It's not a big issue but it just, y'know, detracts slightly from the driving experience. My last GTV didn't do it. Maybe I'm being a bit fussy...!

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
As David C said, check the brakes. Lift each corner and spin the wheel, could be you rear brakes aren't releasing enough, check the callipers still have the return springs and that the hand brake cable works correctly.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts