Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Considering an engine bay steam clean however concerned with water getting into the electrics, woundering has any one had this done and experienced any problems?

·
Registered
6,213 Posts
Yes Defintely stay away - steam is moisture which will kill all the electrical components in your engine bay. Alot of computer electrical components in modern cars now not like they used to be 10-20 years ago.

·
Registered
900 Posts
I would never steam clean, i always jet the areas around the outside but nothing better than an old shammy and a toothbrush my friend

·
Regional Representative, For United Arab Emirates
408 Posts
Gunk!! Around the sides toothbrush, cloth and a garden spray with a sponge to collect the water/dirt works a treat and doesnt' take long!

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
PLEASE DO NOT DO THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I brought my GTA from a dealer, it had been steam cleaned. I got about halfway home and I had the engine light come on. Water had go into the coils and the bill for just diagnosing, cleaning out etc was £180.00

I was really really peeved and I only got half that back from the dealer

·
Registered
6,213 Posts
PLEASE DO NOT DO THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I brought my GTA from a dealer, it had been steam cleaned. I got about halfway home and I had the engine light come on. Water had go into the coils and the bill for just diagnosing, cleaning out etc was £180.00

I was really really peeved and I only got half that back from the dealer
Ouch ...

So the motto of that story is ...

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
the worst thing is I had saved for months, travelled hundreds of miles and I ended up with a car which spent its first week of ownership at the dealer:(

All sorted though as bar the diff (which seeing as it is so common doesn't bother me) it hasn't really put a foot wrong. Eats up the miles and I was doing serious mileage last year.

·
Registered
6,213 Posts
shouldnt the dealer had advised againast steam cleaning ?? you would think they would know better. Although the bottom line is that they win financially in both situations, doing the steam clean and the repair for the damage it did.

·
Registered
189 Posts
bugger bugger bugger, wish i'd read this 12 hours ago...

car waiting to be picked up by the aa...

trying to avoid swearing...

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
bugger bugger bugger, wish i'd read this 12 hours ago...

car waiting to be picked up by the aa...

trying to avoid swearing...
No way! That's very unfortunate, hope the repair is easy and cheap:thumbs:

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Best way to make a really proper job of it is to get items powdercoated i.e plenum chamber and front coil cover.

In the long run anyway. My car is still all original though. I just get a bit of soapy water and a stiff brush to sort it out - still looks pretty good :cool:

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
I had this job done on my Fiat, but the engine bay was relatively sparse and electronics in comparison basic.

I'd never do it on anything with complex electronics.

Best of luck sorting it Ronan.

·
Regional Representative, For United Arab Emirates
408 Posts
Like I said guys, Gunk, a garden spray bottle, toothbrush and sponge/cloths works a treat. I have done my GT and GTA and it works fine, if you're sensible and looks like new

Romano.

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
I use AG's engine and machine cleaner on a slightly warm engine. Leave it soak in, agitate with a brush if needed, rinse with a fine hose spray, coat with AG's rubber and vinyl care and close the bonnet. Comes up gleaming and never had any problems!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts