Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 120 Posts

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have decided that I will propose to my girlfriend when we are celebrating my 30th in Glencoe at the end of May. Should I choose the ring? We seem to have simlar taste in rings when jokingly looking in jewellers windows or use a joke/naff ring to propose with and then go and choose the ring together. I'm leaning towards me choosing the engagement ring so it's a true gift from me to her, with her obviously choosing the wedding ring. Any thoughts/suggestions/advice?

·
Registered
3,534 Posts
It depends on the amount you want to spend and if you have any ideas, but I recently got engaged and had the ring designed. I started with an idea, described to a jeweller (a friend of my cousin's husband who did their rings) 3 design options, she came back with 3 overhead sketches (and gave me an indication on cost). I selected one, she showed me a side-view and one look confirmed that was what I saw in my head. I paid 50% up front and she then made it from scratch with an agreed size diamond (look at the 4xCs to see what to get) and sent it guaranteed next day delivery. Well worth it and means so much more - the size of the diamond isn't always the most important thing.

Also, if you're not looking at yellow gold and can't afford/justify platinum, consider Palladium as an alternate to white gold.

·
Registered
6,738 Posts
I proposed last Christmas and she had basically chosen the ring as we had discussed getting married for years before but said we'd wait until we had bought a house first, but she had the exact ring in mind and she really likes getting exactly what she wants so I got a jewler friend of mine to make it up for me.

But having said that in your case, if you are going to surprise her, like dank said, I think you should choose yourself. One thing to think of also is getting her ring size. FYI the design we (she ;)) chose was the Cartier 1895, it's really nice and there is a real wow factor with it. Best of luck with it!

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It depends on the amount you want to spend and if you have any ideas, but I recently got engaged and had the ring designed. I started with an idea, described to a jeweller (a friend of my cousin's husband who did their rings) 3 design options, she came back with 3 overhead sketches (and gave me an indication on cost). I selected one, she showed me a side-view and one look confirmed that was what I saw in my head. I paid 50% up front and she then made it from scratch with an agreed size diamond (look at the 4xCs to see what to get) and sent it guaranteed next day delivery. Well worth it and means so much more - the size of the diamond isn't always the most important thing.

Also, if you're not looking at yellow gold and can't afford/justify platinum, consider Palladium as an alternate to white gold.
I was thinking a traditional 6 claw .60 caret platinum ring. Seemed to be a good balance of ring to diamond. If you have any recommendations please let me know. All I have is Steven Stone and Boodles (HAHAHAHAH Errr No!)

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
I have decided that I will propose to my girlfriend when we are celebrating my 30th in Glencoe at the end of May. Should I choose the ring? We seem to have simlar taste in rings when jokingly looking in jewellers windows or use a joke/naff ring to propose with and then go and choose the ring together. I'm leaning towards me choosing the engagement ring so it's a true gift from me to her, with her obviously choosing the wedding ring. Any thoughts/suggestions/advice?
Looks like I'm going to suggest the opposite to everyone else! :p

When I proposed my then girlfriend sort of knew that I probably would be proposing at some point, but had no idea when. I didn't buy a ring for the deed, as I felt that it was better being a joint choice. Worked out well - she chose a ring we both liked. :D

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Looks like I'm going to suggest the opposite to everyone else! :p

When I proposed my then girlfriend sort of knew that I probably would be proposing at some point, but had no idea when. I didn't buy a ring for the deed, as I felt that it was better being a joint choice. Worked out well - she chose a ring we both liked. :D
I suppose that is the safest option and while we are choosing the ring I could push the idea that an Omega Seamaster is actually an investment.

·
Super Moderator
916 Spider P1 Lusso
9,446 Posts
Mr PG chose my eternity ring and I am totally delighted that he chose it and that he had such good taste, although obviously that had already been proven because he'd married me!

He did think I had sausage fingers though and bought me a ring several sizes too big, but that didn't really matter.

My cousin recently got engaged, at Glencoe too as it happens, and her bloke chose her ring.

If you know your lady well enough to want to spend the rest of your life with her then I would hope that you would be able to choose what she likes! Go for it.

·
Registered
8,661 Posts
I think it's an entirely personal thing.

If you think you know her well enough to choose, and you want it to be a complete surprise, then choosing it beforehand so it is a gift from you to her is a lovely idea and very romantic.

We picked the ring out together - in fact we picked all three rings (my engagement and wedding, and his matching wedding) all on the same day. It's something a lot of people forget, the engagement ring should be chosen carefully to ensure that a wedding ring will sit nicely next to it. However, your idea of the traditional claw setting on platinum sounds nice, and shouldn't be too difficult to match something with. We then walked down to the end of Bournemouth Pier and went down on one knee to propose so, although it wasn't a surprise, it was still hugely romantic;).

Good luck with whatever you choose, it's good to know the world is still of romantic souls:)

·
Registered
17,564 Posts
I think its entirely up to you to decide if she would rather choose it herself or be surprised. You can get an idea of her favourites by window shopping together possibly.

I chose my own (white gold channel set) just before we were married as we were never actually engaged for a length of time. We chose the matching wedding rings together (white gold) at the same time. I chose my own eternity ring afterwards.

Agree with what Mama said - lovely to see such romance :)

·
Administrator
45,539 Posts
I had the length of time with my then girlfriend to be able to make sure I knew her ring size, and the sort of ring she liked.

Obviously if you only start to research those questions just before you plan to propose, you might raise suspicions!

If you trust your own judgement, then by choosing it yourself, you are very much giving her 'your ring', which I think is more special.

But the idea (which I'd not thought of before) of giving a 'filler' ring and then taking her shopping is also a nice one.

·
Registered
997 Posts
I have raised this question on a different thread.Next time we are on holiday together I am planning on popping the question .I have made up my mind to purchase the ring myself.Friends of ours recently became engaged and he went down the symbolic ring and then let her choose.His fiancee liked the idea I don't feel there is any right way .I also want it to surprise (as much as it can be after 6 years:) ) The ring size is a tricky thought I have purchsed one ring for her I don't remember choosing a size , how to get it without arousing suspicion will need some thought.

G

·
0 Posts
You choose , and make it something cheap and cheerful, perhaps something a bit unique. If she invests too much importance in the ring, it can't be true love.

I may be a bit bitter here though, my first wife had a custom designed engagement ring and wedding ring set (the wedding ring fitted inside the engagement ring), cost a bloody fortune and the marriage lasted 14 months!!

Cheers,

Nigel

·
Registered
948 Posts
When my mate Rob got engaged a few of us went into Winchester with him for moral support on the ring buying mission.
To cut a long story short we got smashed in various pubs before flagging down any vaguely attractive girls outside a jewellers shop to ask their opinion on what ring to buy.

The girls all seemed to like one ring in particular so Rob went in and emerged shortly after over a grand down...his fiance/now wife was delighted with her ring and has no idea to this day of how it was carefully chosen :thumbs:

·
Registered
8,063 Posts
I had already proposed before I had the ring so I didnt have to make that decision and that actually turned out to be for the best.

We both had decided that a solitaire diamond was what we wanted but when she tried on the various rings at the jewelers they didnt look good on her finger, probably because my wife has quite thin fingers and the single diamond was a bit overpowering. We ultimately decided on a 7 stone cluster which looks fantastic and really suits my wife.

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
I suppose that is the safest option and while we are choosing the ring I could push the idea that an Omega Seamaster is actually an investment.
Sounds like a plan! :thumbs:

I assume your prospective fiancee isn't on AO ands your cunning plan isn't blown?! :eek: :D

·
Registered
6,721 Posts
As it was her who said we were getting married, I let her choose! I went for a watch rather than a ring. Not an Omega Seamaster, just a 21-jewel Accurist, but at £40-ish in 1968 it wasn't cheap - still the best-looking watch I've ever had.

·
Super Moderator
916 Spider P1 Lusso
9,446 Posts
Mama said that the engagement and wedding ring should be able to sit together, here's another idea. I have tiny hands and even the smallest wedding and engagement ring combination meant I couldn't bend my finger anymore :lol:

When we got married I moved my engagement ring onto my right ring finger (for the wedding) and that's where it's always stayed :)

Mr PG's choice of eternity ring fitted perfectly with my wedding ring, being so much slimmer than an engagement ring, so I wear those together instead :thumbs:

Sorted :D

G

·
0 Posts
When my mate Rob got engaged a few of us went into Winchester with him for moral support on the ring buying mission.
To cut a long story short we got smashed in various pubs before flagging down any vaguely attractive girls outside a jewellers shop to ask their opinion on what ring to buy.

The girls all seemed to like one ring in particular so Rob went in and emerged shortly after over a grand down...his fiance/now wife was delighted with her ring and has no idea to this day of how it was carefully chosen :thumbs:
Totally brilliant!

1 - 20 of 120 Posts