0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sick of them.

Changing back to normal ones.

:rant:

·
Registered
89 Posts
Hey, whats the problema dn what sort are they?

I just bought all new LED GU10s for every spotlight in the house............i originally bought bulbs with 24 LEDS but they were not bright enough... so i purchased bulbs with 60 Leds in each at 170 lumens and they are spot on..........and at only 1.3 watts each much cheaper to run than the standard 50w Halogen. There a bit pricy to start but i thought i would takle the plunge......

·
Registered
8,063 Posts
yeah whys that?

I only fit energy saving bulbs because they last much longer and seem to cope with the odd electricity supply we have in this country much better than normal bulbs

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
CF ones.

I'm changing to encased halogens as I can't stand the delay and "warm-up".

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
no probs here...they blinkin last for ages...:)

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Am slowly swapping ours over as the originals blow - no issues so far

·
Registered
89 Posts
Anyone else tried the latest LED energy savers.........I have just ordered some E14 Candle LED Bulbs for the chandeliers in my house........so far i have reduced each light fitting from 5 x 25w bulbs to 5 x 5w CF energy savers but when my new ones arrive they will be 5 x 1.3w but equivalant brighness to 20w each. Quite pricey but worth it in tthe long run me thinks

·
Registered
11,591 Posts
All these Mercury containing globes ending up in Landfill....and remember to get out of the room for at least 30 minutes if you break a "green' fluorescent bulb.
Breathing Mercury Vapour is not good for you ...except for Greenies who act like the Mercury poisoned Mad Hatter

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Anyone else tried the latest LED energy savers.........I have just ordered some E14 Candle LED Bulbs for the chandeliers in my house........so far i have reduced each light fitting from 5 x 25w bulbs to 5 x 5w CF energy savers but when my new ones arrive they will be 5 x 1.3w but equivalant brighness to 20w each. Quite pricey but worth it in tthe long run me thinks
Do you know about the exceedingly nasty chemicals used to manufacture
silicon devices?

:lol:

As with all bandwagons we will see an equal (or worse) environmental effect
down the line.

e.g. in winter your heating will increase minutely to make up for
the reduction in heat put out by your lighting.
Fine if your heating is provided by nuclear generated electricity
but otherwise zero net benefit to the environment.

:lol:

·
Super Moderator
44,766 Posts
Have to agree with Nev. They never get to the claimed level of brightness anyway - equivalent to a 100w incandescent my bun - and for the first five minutes after turning them on, you're groping in the dark.

What's all this talk of LED equivalents? For standard bayonet fittings?

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yup. There are LED and halogens now available that have been encased
in standard bulb fitments.

Only seen LEDs upto about 25W equivalent so not quite there in
the brightness stakes.

I tried one in an enclosed rocksalt lamp and it filled up with condensation. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
15,172 Posts
I blame energy saving lightbulbs for the state of the country.
That 'lightbulb above the head' cartoon is now a thing of the past, with kids now imagining a slow to start energy saving bulb, which never really gets as bright as it should. A bit like some of the kids, really. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
5,250 Posts
I put LED spots in my kitchen because the halogens blow for a hobby, if I don't look at the lights I can't tell if they are on or off because they are so bloody dim, the 5ft strip light I put in to replace the others spots is brilliant, takes a few seconds to come on but, and this is quite an advantage with lights, I CAN SEE ! . :thumbs:

·
Registered
15,172 Posts
I put LED spots in my kitchen because the halogens blow for a hobby, if I don't look at the lights I can't tell if they are on or off because they are so bloody dim, the 5ft strip light I put in to replace the others spots is brilliant, takes a few seconds to come on but, and this is quite an advantage with lights, I CAN SEE ! . :thumbs:
A glowing recommendation, there. ;)

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
BBC Radio Four's "More or Less" did a feature on the subject late last year, still available on iPlayer here:

BBC iPlayer Console - More or Less: 11/12/2009 (starts at around 2m25s)

What we have here is a fatal combination of politicians & statistics, the end result of which is always the same: lies.
Good one. Missed that episode.

R4 is great for this kind of factual programming.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I've put a total of ten five foot daylight fluorescents in my carage so I can see properly - that's 290 Watts. OK, they take a couple of minutes to get going fully but it's like day in there and that's what it needs to be at my age!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts