Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
37,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got one of those energy monitor gadgets the other day, it has been plugged in for a couple of weeks now and it is a total failure. I don't know if it has been installed incorrectly by the DIY muppet or if it is just not very good but;

Of an average evening it scores about 9-11 with the lights (a few) on.

It sky-rockets when the following are on;

Kettle
Iron
Microwave
Oven
Tumble drier

The following seem to have little or no effect;

TV
Stereo
More lights, loads more lights
1x Fridge freezer (6')
1X Fridge (4')
1x Freezer (6')

So, after 20 years of going around turning the lights off in every room I am now going to;

Buy loads of frozen ready meals to watch in front of the TV with the stereo left on in the other room and every light on.
Stop washing or ironing any clothes, ditch most of the proper cooking in favour of the quicker microwave
Use my log burner.

Talk about de-motivational. If you have kids, don't get one. They will never turn a light off again.

·
Administrator
23,037 Posts
Got one of those energy monitor gadgets the other day, it has been plugged in for a couple of weeks now and it is a total failure. I don't know if it has been installed incorrectly by the DIY muppet or if it is just not very good but;

Of an average evening it scores about 9-11 with the lights (a few) on.

It sky-rockets when the following are on;

Kettle
Iron
Microwave
Oven
Tumble drier

The following seem to have little or no effect;

TV
Stereo
More lights, loads more lights
1x Fridge freezer (6')
1X Fridge (4')
1x Freezer (6')

So, after 20 years of going around turning the lights off in every room I am now going to;

Buy loads of frozen ready meals to watch in front of the TV with the stereo left on in the other room and every light on.
Stop washing or ironing any clothes, ditch most of the proper cooking in favour of the quicker microwave
Use my log burner.

Talk about de-motivational. If you have kids, don't get one. They will never turn a light off again.
Kettle - 2-3 kw
Iron Ikw
Microwave - 1-2 KW
Oven - 1-5 Kw
Tumble Drier - maybe 2-3Kw.

That's a lot of KW and you haven't mentioned heating.

On the other hand the fridge,freezers, lights,TV and Stereo, use bugger all by comparison so your monitoring system is probably right.

Yep put pans on the log burner and boil some water - but, I am afraid that with kids, you are committed to huge expense.

We save on heating by only using a wood burning stove to heat two open plan floors - sitting here now in a tshirt and thinking it is a bit hot!!

On a practical basis - do your washing/dishwashing overnight on a cheaper tariff.

Cooking - all you can do is plan it so everything is served at the same time - thus saving stuff being kept in ovens whilst you cook other stuff.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts