Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
well we sold our house 5 and half months ago and moved into a rented property.

the rented property has been a nightmare, every time you want hot water you have to heat the whole house. You can imagion what my bills are like! plus a few other minor issues like the shower works on and off, pain when you get up to got to work and turn on the shower and nothing, and it takes a hour to cook a pizza as cooker knackard, mould growing in the front room (they grind on you after a few months at £700 a month).

Anyway bought a house all good, ties in with end of six months agreement, with a month togo get a letter from agent todo inspection while we were at work (I assumed this was because agreement is coming to a end) I called uptoday as the six months is up at the end of the month (2 weeks) tobe told I have to give a months written notice WLF!!!!!!!
:censored:

·
Premium Member
2,823 Posts
The problems you have had are unacceptable, was the months notice not in the agreement that's quite normal

·
Registered
537 Posts
Check your agreement. Tennancies are normally 12 months, with cancellation after 6 months with a month's written notice on either side.

Hope you took photos when you moved in. I suspect you may struggle to get your deposit back :devious:

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
the agreement does say "after the fixed period a months notice has to be given" I assumed the fixed period was the six months we took the house on for and if we took it over the six months we would have to give a months notice. Im not sure nted before so I called the solicitor who we are buying the house through for advise, and a awaiting a call back.

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
Sounds like you'll have to suck it and move on.

An experience with lessons to learn, I've been through all this with my son who has rented properties for years.

You have to learn the rules, photos of problems, reporting issues by e-mail and asking permission to make changes.

Or you get battered by your deposit being withheld, but not too difficult to get back, it is held in a holding account by a third party I believe.

·
Registered
38,319 Posts
Just smash the place up and **** everywhere like a French person* would.
:D

* Yes, yes it's terrible to stereotype a whole nation like that.
Everyone knows it's only single French women who would do this. ;)

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Check your agreement. Tennancies are normally 12 months, with cancellation after 6 months with a month's written notice on either side.

Hope you took photos when you moved in. I suspect you may struggle to get your deposit back :devious:
A standard AST is 6 months but you still have to give written notice to leave at the end of the 6 month initial period. After the months it rolls on as a monthly periodic tenancy determinable on a months written notice.

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/content/ending-assured-shorthold-tenancy

see the section

Tenant’s Notice – Fixed Term Tenancy

At the end of the fixed term the tenancy ends and under statutory rules there is no stipulation that the tenant must give notice. The tenant can leave without giving notice, providing they leave before or on the last day of the tenancy. However, if the contract stipulates a formal notice period then the tenants should comply with this. In any case it is common courtesy for tenants to inform the landlord that they wish to leave, giving the landlord time to market the property early and thereby avoid a long vacant (void) period. There is also the matter of a formal check-out procedure and a landlord’s reference: if the tenant is likely to be applying for another tenancy, it is very likely the new landlord will approach the old one for a reference.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts