Alfa Romeo Forum banner

End of my Alfa era

Tags
end era
3K views 43 replies 11 participants last post by  Maximus84 
#1 ·
5 years ago I bought my first 156 2.4 10V, I loved it to pieces and a proper bargain at £600.00. Didn't put a foot wrong and very fun to drive. I replaced it with a 156 175 which I also loved, then had a slew of issues with a G. and 159..

Tax and MOT due on the 159 I traded it in for a Focus ST-2 (2013 / 252 HP) in black over the weekend after a test drive fell instantly in love with it, I'll miss the show stopping looks of the 159 although for a smidge under 19K brand new that focus is so much car for the money and is amazing to drive. Also the mountune kit which doesn't affect my warranty is on the cards for another 30+ HP.

I was after a 3 MPS but the deal ended up falling through, looks like they have stopped production and they aren't replacing it. I love this forum and really enjoy the Alfa community, I'll pop in from time to time just to speak to some of the top blokes and ladies here.

In my head I made the right decision and will miss the Alfa's of past.

#9 ·
Thanks everyone, really appreciate it.. Cue I'll stop giving you a hard time over the G. : In retrospect I did like it, just had bitter eyes on :).. Alfa sorted out the few niggles, but I wasn't using it enough and it showed hence a petrol.

Not sure what happened with that 159, must of been a lemon geez.. Still it pulled some looks from people, sad to see it go. But round my area the ST if far rarer? I've seen 5 159's locally and 3 G.'s. Actually started appearing after I bought mine hmmm?

@ Nige, glad to see a fellow owner change to an ST, what colour did you get it in?

@ AL, thanks and yeah it's one hell of a drive.

G
#10 ·
Good luck with the ST, they're cracking cars as has been stated.

Have recently returned from a tour where one of the other cars was a Mountune equipped Focus RS and it was a cracking car. As you say the Mountune stuff made no difference to his warranty and neither did impact his insurance as it's a fully Ford approved modification so looks like a very worthy upgrade :thumbs:

#14 ·
one of the dads from my daughter's swimming classes has the old ST (the 5-pot), with a mountune conversion. he went for the stage 1 or whatever it is, the lowest output one. still pumps out something like 240/250bhp with shedloads of torque. he took me out for a spin in it last year and it was FAST. my next car (if it's not a company one) might well be the new ST estate. pics please, shadow :thumbs:

#17 ·
Interesting read - although I've loved owning the Brera, with a little one on the way I need something with 5 doors.

It's still gotta be fast though (the Mrs has a MkI Leon CUPRA at 200Bhp so it's gotta be quicker than that!), and something a bit different...

In the last couple of days I've seriously been considering the ST-2. Goes well, practical, a bit different and loads of kit for the money. How are you guys finding them? I was originally after a GQV, but this Ford is turning my head!

Would be interested to hear how it fares as a serious proposition - any regrets?

Cheers

#18 · (Edited)
Well the test car I drove had loosened up a bit on 8K miles, the Recaro's had bedded in a bit and I was also looking at a Mazda 3 MPS at the time. The ST if fast, I mean seriously quick.. That 250Bhp Brera (I had a 159) won't hold a candle simply due to weight I think, mines still winding in and noticeably slower than the test driven car. Same as the misses 500 Abarth, it took at bare minimum 2000 miles before the poke and the real kick came in (Including a substantial MPG increase).

Now the 159 / Brera interior IMO is much nicer looking but the seat's are better in the ST, but I didn't once think.. Ohhh the interior, I can't buy this. It's more than good enough and I was too busy having fun in it, which it's been a while since I had fun in a car. Actually I can't remember the last time I had so much fun? Lexus ISF 5.0L V8 was my last smiles all round car..

Stereo's great, voice recognition actually works without having to re-jigg all the names like I did in the 159 so it could understand my daft Yorkshire accent. No rattles, just masses of fun...

I got to test drive my own car (Sounds strange I know) this week and waiting for actual finance finishes etc. to be sorted mid next week for a Saturday pickup (Signed today). Never regretted it once and becoming seriously impatient at the moment :D..

One thing, if you pound it and I mean seriously pound it all the time (Which can't be good for it anyway).. You can get it down to low 20's MPG wise, on the M-way I was getting 44 and most people get around 32MPG combined with a fair bit of fun / heavy foot.

Looking at a black ST vs. a Black 159 in the looks department, this might be blasphemy but I don't think it's that less prettier? I suppose it is a little as I think the 159 is one of the best looking cars ever. But I dunno I like the look of both..

Also not fast enough? Well Mountune are press releasing this month for the MK3 upgrades... Even stock against a 280HP VXR and Megane 265 it can hold it's own (And win some times):

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p015yqqr

#19 ·
I used to work as a New Car Salesman at a Ford Dealer.

Took the ST (the original, this was back in '06 or whenever, not long after it had come out) out for a blat and grinned from ear to ear. The 5cylinder engine was a rorty, torquey animal of a thing.

However, I remember one occassion where a gentleman brought his Focus RS (the original) in as a possible part-ex. He took the ST out for a drive and was unimpressed.

Then again, I drove his RS and wasn't very impressed with that, so it's horses for courses, lol.

Either way, I think that, technically speaking, an ST is a better car for driving fast than most Alfas.

You won't find any snobbery from me on that part, lol.

#21 ·
Surprised about the RS (unless the original MK1), my first car was a 1999 Focus 1.4 and it did me well.. Removing nostalgia, it was dog slow and heavy on fuel. But insurance was cheap :)..

There's something about fast Ford's that really work. I had the option of a GQV and Leon Cupra.. Still went for the Ford.

#20 ·
What is it about driving a Focus or any Ford that makes some drivers such ********* :mad: Tailgating, rude gestures, overtaking where they shouldn't :tut: and that's just the test drive ! :p

#23 · (Edited)
Very true, although I still have a vendetta against the MK3 Mondeo they seemed to chew through DMF / Injectors and liked leaving you stranded when the alternator went, even though they are great to drive. Some of Ford's deals are cracking.. So impatient I want it NOOOOWW!!..

Only have to keep it for 2 years, so looking forward to see what Alfa have in store after a couple of years.

#33 · (Edited)
Its a shame that the 159 and the Giulietta didn't work out for you Shadowamd - your initial enthusiastic posts were one of the things that made me look at the 159 for myself.

Anyway, how's the ST-2 working out now you've had it a couple of days?

#34 ·
It's no problem Mr. if the 159 would of kept running right I'd of kept it forever nearly :).. Very nice car and hope yours serves you well.

I normally don't gush about cars, but I love that ST-2. Powerful, great ride, plenty of kit and great steering. Recaro's like to poke you in the bottom when you get in the car :D, apart from that no complaints, just enjoy looking at it and driving it. Any excuse seriously :).

#35 · (Edited)
Ok so had it nearly a month and 1,000 Miles.. So I'll do a little review.

I'll start with the Bad stuff:

The hill start assist is rubbish, it doesn't quite know when to turn itself off so I never have it on. Turning circle could be better and that's it for the bad stuff.

Good stuff:

The brakes are phenomenal, I've not felt much quite like it bar on a couple of much more expensive cars. The recaro's have bedded in and it's a lovely place to sit, I have USB and AUX but by pure accident I found out the system can control your phone via bluetooth and you can play MP3's straight off your phone :), very awesome feature. Now the juicy part, the power for such a small BHP car (Currently at 271) is amazing the way it delivers when warmed up is staggering. I'd say it'd be much quicker than it's 0-60 time if it wasn't for wheelspin when you plant it (Done this by accident getting out of a junction). Joining a Motorway is much fun, plant it in second and you'll be at 60+ in a bat of an eyelid then change straight into sixth.

The dealers have been great, they rang to check up on me after the first couple of weeks. There's a 3 month inspection to look for anything that might need replacing / sorting out. But on the whole it's not faulted and all in all feels very well built. Ride comfort's great for this sort of car, the only Kudo's I'll give to my previous 159 is the stereo. Even with the Sony surround it's not as good, not bad mind due and the steering is very precise..

If I don't decide to trade it in for an RS, or if Alfa can deliver something in a couple of years it's a definite keeper.

#38 ·
Thanks for the update - I actually went round to the tlocal dealer for a test drive this morning.

Took it out for only 10/15 mins round a semi-twisty back road (national speed limit) and was quite impressed. Steering had a good weight to it and felt quite direct (first time I've really driven an EPAS car). Handling was good, and the ride not too firm. Makes a good sound under load, which doesn't sound as artificial as I was expecting. Seats were nice and snug too!

The Demo car I drove was a fully-loaded ST-3 with lots of added extras (and 5k miles on the clock). They tried to sell me that but couldn't quite make the numbers work (and it was the Tangerine Scream, not sure on that colour!).

I think I'm sold on the car though - an ST-2 in Spirit Blue and the dark alloys will do for me! I just need someone to take my Brera off my hands for a decent and fair price!

One question though - does the ST-2 come with Cruise Control as standard? The brochure is a bit misleading...

Cheers!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.