Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Heard this on the news. For people down under Holden badges will cease to be put on any cars. But in addition you won't even be able to buy the comparative Chevrolet badged version as it looks like that General Motors is not going to bother with RHD cars.

Will other manufacturers follow suit, giving up on the RHD market? Given that it is only a small number of countries are RHD.

·
Registered
3,805 Posts
Except its not a small number...196 countries (depending on your politics and which wars the US are funding/starting today!) in the World and about 60 drive on the left....so over a quarter. Bet that was more than you thought!!

��
Anguilla
Antigua
Antigua and Barbuda
Australia
Bahamas
Bangladesh
Barbados
Bhutan
Botswana
Brunei
Cyprus
Dominica
Eswatini
Fiji
Grenada
Guernsey
Guyana
Hong Kong
India
Indonesia
Ireland
Isle Of Man
Jamaica
Japan
Jersey
Kenya
Kiribati
Lesotho
Malawi
Malaysia
Maldives
Malta
Mauritius
Mozambique
Namibia
Nauru
Nepal
New Zealand
Northern Ireland
Pakistan
Papua New Guinea
Saint Lucia
Saint Vincent and the Grenadines
Samoa
Scotland
Seychelles
Singapore
Solomon Islands
South Africa
Sri Lanka
St Lucia
St Vincent and the Grenadines
Suriname
Swaziland
Tanzania
Tasmania
Thailand
Tonga
Trinidad and Tobago
Tuvalu
Uganda
UK
Zambia
Zimbabwe

·
Registered
33,779 Posts
This will be affected by the PSA takeover which does not look good for the Holden Commodore which is based on the Opel Insignia. The Insignia only had a business case when sold as a Buick which will not continue now GM has broken ties with Europe.

·
Registered
143 Posts
As an Aussie I can safely say - good riddance to bad rubbish. They made shitty cars (although to be fair i did once rent the very last series 2017 SSV Redline with the LS3 in it and it was fucking mental and surprisingly handled well for such a huge car) and bled the aussie taxpayer dry.

My first car way back in the early 90s was a Rover 2000TC - it was a 1969 model with de dion rear end, 4 wheel discs, a lovely OHC 2 litre and general refinement (plus the girls at school thought the leather and wood interior was cool, which I was ok with).

A 1969 Holden was leaf springs, drums all round and a wheezy pushrod iron POS that made my Dads series 1 LandRover look high tech... They remained similarly behind the times for most of their time here, sucking taxpayer subsidies and hiding behind tariffs. Detroit corporate arse hattery at its finest.

Having said that, if I moved to the US I'd buy a Chevy SS :)

·
Registered
33,779 Posts
I worked with the English Designer responsible for the HSV styling. I wonder what he’s going to do?
The hatred between Ford and Holden ?.Not so sure as Ford wrote a very nice sincere message on LinkedIn. The hatred may be between owners but probably not the companies as there was evidentially a friendly rivalry.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts