Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
38,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
https://www.connexionfrance.com/French-news/Paris-mayor-says-individual-car-ownership-era-is-over

This is a conversation I've had a few times in the last month-or-so.

Talking with techie engineering and financial types the consensus does appear to be
that outright owning an asset like a car is no longer viable for a number of reasons.
(Autonomous cars, parking, pollution, taxation & cost to name a few.)

The argument that threw it for me was the fact that X% of the time your depreciating asset
is sat parked doing absolutely jack ****.

But some people (a lot of them women) who've discussed this are adamant that they will never not want to own their car.

Discuss!!!

:D

·
Registered
11,705 Posts
Drive the right old car and it will actually appreciate in value if you maintain it properly.
My old Merc is worth more than I paid for it, and the 156 is now on an upward curve too :thumbs:

Buying a new car never made sense for me, even when I bought 'nearly new' I kept them long enough to get my money's worth in the end :).

·
Registered
6,363 Posts
Friends of mine have never owned a car outright in 25 years.
3 year lease and then choose another, a bit grey goods for me but suits them.

·
Registered
38,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This thinking goes one step further than leasing.

The idea is that you will be able to "summon" a vehicle when and where you need it ...

·
Registered
15,222 Posts
Just knowing mine is outside makes my happy. Doesn't matter that I'm not going anywhere in it. It isn't depreciating very much either. Maybe £500 in 18 months.

If I didn't drive, I'd still want a car.

·
Registered
6,363 Posts
This thinking goes one step further than leasing.

The idea is that you will be able to "summon" a vehicle when and where you need it ...
Then i guess thats no more than a taxi?.
I know that some city folk dont need/want a car.
But out of the big smokes its a necessity for a lot of people.

·
Registered
38,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just knowing mine is outside makes my happy. Doesn't matter that I'm not going anywhere in it. It isn't depreciating very much either. Maybe £500 in 18 months.

If I didn't drive, I'd still want a car.
I guess we felt about horses like that, at one point, too.

·
Registered
6,337 Posts
How would it work where my older brother lives in Norfolk? One bus a day there and one back from there, bank shuts on a Wednesday, that sort of place. For my younger brother in Japan, up the side of a mountain on a single tracked road and no buses at all.

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
The operative word there is "will."

I live on the edge of London and often go into the centre, always by public transport, never by car.
I live on the edge of London and often go out into the countryside or to other places in the UK, always by car, never by public transport.

The difference is there's a long established provision of effective transport in the big city. It took huge investment, lots of time and many wrong turns and false starts to achieve. When that's been completed for the summonable vehicle network, which is no more than theory at the moment, maybe I'll join in.

·
Registered
445 Posts
The operative word there is "will."

I live on the edge of London and often go into the centre, always by public transport, never by car.
I live on the edge of London and often go out into the countryside or to other places in the UK, always by car, never by public transport.

The difference is there's a long established provision of effective transport in the big city. It took huge investment, lots of time and many wrong turns and false starts to achieve. When that's been completed for the summonable vehicle network, which is no more than theory at the moment, maybe I'll join in.
I was about to say the same - they invented the "vehicle available on demand" system eons ago, they call them "taxi" and "public transport".

The push now is to render the drivers redundant, thus saving a lot of money...and creating a lot more unemployment; But hey, it'll make car-hating millennials happy, they can go to the office while a computer drives their Apple-branded car and they can play Candy Crush on their tablet; or worse still, crack the laptop open and get ahead with work - so they'll effectively be working an additional 2-3 hours a day.

In a nutshell, it all seems a huge business to me to make money and subconsciously coax people into working longer hours (start during the commute); But it's masquerading as "safety", so it's all dandy and fine. Oh, you can also bet anything that "manual" driving will be banned, you know, because safety. If this thing becomes reality, there simply won't be an "option" to have a normal car for the week end.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Many people look at cars as consumer goods.
As for Alfisti its a hole different matter.
However, if I needed to commute to a big city every word-day, I'll use public transport.
But I have been lucky I'll never worked in a big city.

·
Registered
998 Posts
it will be a long long way away yet.
Many people like the freedom of owning their own vehicle, having it sat on the drive waiting to take you anywhere and everywhere, it creates a strong bond for us car enthusiast types,
Don't think i would ever want to summons an apple car or some other, having worked in car rental and knowing the disgusting skips on wheels that many happily drive around in. Just unbelievable the state they hand them back in too

·
Registered
37,743 Posts
“Is no longer viable” is a bit sweeping. 2 weeks ago I was looking at a CR-V (not for me :tut:) £2,500 with 40k on the clock. I reckon you would get 10 years out of it so that’s £250 a year. PCP deals start at £99 a month, so £1,188 p.a.

I had the misfortune of using an omnibus last week. For the 3 mile trip home I paid £2.30. If I did that for 42 working weeks I reckon we are at £483 pa.

Yes I know the car needs tax and MoT and fuel but you know what, it’s available to you 24/7, no phoning people, no ‘we are busy it’ll be 30mins’, no waiting by bus stops.

Get on your bus, get halfway to your destination and change your mind, spot something and think ‘what’s that over there?” Pop to B&Q for 2 bags of cement, 6 of sand and a new drill, see how happy your taxi driver is to see you, or your bus driver!

The people who are telling you “the owned car is dead” are the ones who make a very nice living off your PCP payments.

·
Registered
4,102 Posts
Also for a huge number of people (but probably declining) owning a car is a hobby. I get just as much pleasure in tinkering as driving. Nothing more satisfying than keeping an older car in great condition!

Reactions: keithyboy

·
Registered
14,827 Posts
There was an experiment in Paris with short term car rental (a bit like Boris bikes). Commercial failure as they had not factored into the plan the disgusting things people do in a car they don't own so they needed twice as many cars to accommodate cleaning after every use plus the cost of cleaning staff and facilities.

·
Registered
38,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Designed by Pininfarina :thumbs:

They are shocking looking things. :tut:

Bet they are cheaper/more reliable than Paris Taxis. ;)
If they got it working for pushbikes ...

(Although didn't the bikes get nicked in Manchester? :tut:)

·
Premium Member
7,631 Posts
Can't see it coming in anytime soon.

Whats next, you are going out so some tramps can come and stay in your house?

·
Registered
15,222 Posts
(Although didn't the bikes get nicked in Manchester? :tut:)
Quite a few of the bikes in Manchester did get stolen and/or vandalised. Basically they said that they were vandal and theft proof and some of Manchester's less moral individuals said "Yeah right. We'll see about that."

If I drive home from work I would expect to see at least 2-3 of them with the locking mechanism removed being ridden by local scrotes. One was recovered near a police station, with the lock removed, repainted in gold, and with different handlebars.

The lack of docking stations meant loads end up in people's gardens and yards miles away too.

·
Registered
38,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yeah it figures. Makes sense to not deploy in such areas.
:p

@PR

Timeshare house based on your shift pattern!! :thumbs:

1 - 20 of 36 Posts