Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Let me start by saying that my 156 handles better than any other car I have ever driven. I've had a Golf Gti and a Fiesta Xr2 which at the time I thought were great but now I know were mediocre. And the engine, especially since remapping, gives a lusty yet economical performance.

Those are the good points.

I have had my car 7 months and it is now requiring attention for the 9th time. Two of those are regulation - 72k service + cambelt, and separately tyres - but that still leaves 7 unscheduled stops in 7 months. Thank the lord for my warranty.

FFS. These cars are designed by genius, built by cretins. There is no other explanation.

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
many people have little trouble - others have a little more.

i admit i have spent what i paid for the car again in servicing it since got it a year ago, but then we do get a great deal on a second hand purchase.

all swings and roundabouts imo

·
Registered
104 Posts
MAybe the way to look at the situation is that all the faults are being cleared up under the warranty and soon your car will be fully sorted?

Having said that, if it carries on breaking down once a month then that is totally unacceptable and it may be time to get rid. I know I got to that stage with my GTV, but that was nine years old.

What problems have you experienced with your 156?

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
If you don't buy new, you are always run the risk of getting a car with problems, but then if you look at the depreciation, your saving a packet. Can't have it both ways, I buy my Alfa's new and look after them and hardly ever have a problem (GT been in once in nearly 4 years for problem problem) - although you pay in the pocket for the privilege.

Ya pays your money, you takes ya choice.

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
If you don't buy new, you are always run the risk of getting a car with problems, but then if you look at the depreciation, your saving a packet. Can't have it both ways, I buy my Alfa's new and look after them and hardly ever have a problem (GT been in once in nearly 4 years for problem problem) - although you pay in the pocket for the privilege.

Ya pays your money, you takes ya choice.
But even if you buy a car new it can still have problems ....

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
Sure, but if you buy new you just have to worry what the dealer has done, if you buy used, you have to wonder how the previous owner treated it. Did they check the oil frequently? Did they rev it hard when it was still cold? Did they service it on time? etc etc...

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
None of the stuff that has gone wrong has been that drastic. But it seems my time is so 'highly geared' that the temporary loss of my vehicle, and the distance I have to travel to get it fixed, gives me a disproportionate amount of grief. So even though each one is not that bad, it's the fact that its the 5th... 6th... 7th time that is wearing me out.

Furthermore. I paid something of a premium for a car from an Alfa dealer with an Alfa warranty - which covers "everything", said the man. I valued the peace of mind. However, I am now finding them telling me that one thing after another is not covered.

I know, I know. It takes a certain temperament to be an Alfa owner. Maybe I'm just too much of a drama queen who would be better off with something German, but I love that car so, I just wish it loved me back once in a while.

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
Boss has had his 3 series convertible in more times than I can count in the last 10 months... not sure German is the way forward!

Skoda maybe?

D

·
0 Posts
many people have little trouble - others have a little more.

i admit i have spent what i paid for the car again in servicing it since got it a year ago, but then we do get a great deal on a second hand purchase.

all swings and roundabouts imo
Basically what you said is right. I have thought about buying another car for different reasons but could never do it I think ever.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
my brother's VW bora has been in twice a year for the last 5 years!
and the last time it went in they had the thing for 5 weeks! and he didnt even demand a courtesy car! he got free car mats - enough to keep that mug happy i guess...:rolleyes:
german is not the way!
brothers VW
cousins VW (less woes)
uncles merc troubles once a year at least
cousins bmw 330 also mini woes

touch wood, while a little pricey my alfa so far is the most reliable of all...

best of luck with your car ayrton, but each time it goes in why not post on here what the issues are and if the dealer says its covered or not?
name and shame etc? or get advice from the smart guys too; regards how things should be covered if he is bluffing
good luck and keep it! - or sell it to my brother! I'll even pay for it!

·
Banned
9,721 Posts
12 years of Alfa ownership and I've only ever had one problem, it was terminal but butthe car had earned the right to do it (155 Q4 cambelt snaped at 158K). It was just more econimic to move onto the next Alfa than have that fixed, so now I have the 146, though it should have been the 159 Ti but the old doris "didn't see" the big estate car on her right going round the roundabout in the middle of the day with it's lights on, blind biatch, 3 hours I'd had it when it went to the crusher in the sky. Had to expain to her that a Volvo S70 DOES NOT fit in the passengers door of a 159.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Don't understand the relevance of your thread title?
Well spotted. It was relevant to the first draft of my initial rant but then I edited it before posting and what made the title aposite found its way to the bin. But I forgot to put another title.

Incidentally I got it back fixed today - big thanks to Dave at Intaservices, great service as ever - and I'm in love with it again. Until the next time obviously.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Couldnt agree more about lack of German quality - Friends and relatives Mercs, BMWs and VWs have all fallen over more than my Alfa. My brother traded a 147 for a Merc because of insurance cost and worries about future reliability, and his Bavarian ECU failed after a week! The 156 has done 80K in 2 years, with just front suspension joint wear, fixed under warranty.

The 146 was going like a trouble free train when the truck hit it. the 33, however...

You want total reliability buy a Honda. Just dont fall asleep at the wheel!

·
Premium Member
1,991 Posts
You want total reliability buy a Honda. Just dont fall asleep at the wheel!

Had a wee laugh and chuckle on this statement!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts