Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

i posted a a month ago that my dad had owned alfas since 1982..from a Alfetta up to his present 156. This means that i basicly drove all and crashed some of them.. :(

Anyway, the point of this mail is this, whats better backwheer power or front wheel power. yes, you Q4 guys are out of this one.. :)

The best Alfa i have driven including my own 155, was my dads 1991 AR 75 3.0. It was a blast!!! V 6 power, 188 HP(i belive) very stif, it had a stiffer base than the previosy AR 75 2.5..(dad owned one of those too), the car was a monster basicly, it killed all the basic BMW´s and Mercs, in those days and the Japs (rice burners) were mostly older people or fammilies. I remeber i used to take the car when my parents were out of the country to the night clubs, just parking out side would get a couple of girls talking, then when you reved it and did a 180 turn, locking the wheels and just spinning around, WOW.. cant do that with a front wheel power car. My dad and i drove the car from sweden to spain 4 times, never failed ones. In 1998 he sold it for a measly $2000 with about 350,000 km on it.

The other day i drove passed a delaership here in panama, a really nasty place, where they most likly screw you all the way to the bank and back, anyway, out side was a 1989 AR 75 2.5 Inizione.. its the smaller engiene, but i must admit., i got an erccion from looking at it, sooo many memories came back in a flash. i got out and checked the price.. $1500... 185,000km.. i got the keys, heart beating, sweating and got in.. Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!! Smelled of dogg ****, seats all torne up, hand break broke, dash bord with a crack.. it was a disaster inside... i just sat in the stink for 1 min, almost had tears in my eyes, got out, returned the keys, and on my way out, i patted the hood (like patting a dog) and said quietly, i hope someone with alot of money buys you baby, and fix you up, sorry it couldn´t be me..as i drove away in my 155, i flashed the 75, and maybe it was the sun reflecting in the headlights, but it looked as if she flashed back.. :)

Wow..i know i am emotional, but damn... so be it.

nicholas

·
Registered
632 Posts
Nicholas:
i flashed the 75, and maybe it was the sun reflecting in the headlights, but it looked as if she flashed back..
Good story but this bit was funny. Kinda like a "Herbie" moment

·
Registered
601 Posts
Or a more sinister Steven King style 'Christine' moment?! eek!

Sad to see the cars you used to love as a kid all messed up though. I went for a drive in a 1984 V6 capri a few months ago....sounded fantastic, but jeez....what a mess!!! Plus they wanted about £2k for it!!!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
herbie was a great movie.. so was christine..

i want Alfa to make back wheer powerd cars again, this fron wheel power is booooring.

·
Registered
632 Posts
bw:
Sad to see the cars you used to love as a kid all messed up though.
I can only remember my Dad ever driving Cortina's (MkIII, MkIV, MkV and an estate MkIV) so there's nothing to get too sentimental over there, but I still take an extended look whenever I see one today whether it be broken down (usually are) or otherwise :)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I always had FIATs like my old Pa' until Fiat bought Alfa in 1983, after which I allowed myself a nice 33 P4 along the road to GTV and 155 V6.

It seems that mostly everyone has some nostalgic hankering for the car their dad used to have, so I say we Alfisti should begin a programme of intense procreation immediately, or future generations will only want a restored Focus as their Sunday classic.

My new missus is called Giulia and I've trained her to tell the difference between a 145,146,147,156 and wide- and narrow 155s. That 156 Sportwagon causes her problems (she thinks it's the 5-door 147, bless) and 164/6 she can recognise but confuses the numbers.

Our boy, Romeo (when he comes) will not make the same mistakes!.

Ralf S.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Not sure about wanting the same cars as my dad - he went through the old mid life crisis and started buying knackered old MG's and Austin Healeys that never really worked properly. The best car he had when I was a kid was a brand new Opel Manta in gleaming black - well it seemed like the best but was basically a cavalier in disguise, so within 4 years it was pretty much dead, plus the Volvo 3 series he had later was actually quicker :rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,299 Posts
Bealzbob:
bw:
Sad to see the cars you used to love as a kid all messed up though.
I can only remember my Dad ever driving Cortina's (MkIII, MkIV, MkV and an estate MkIV) so there's nothing to get too sentimental over there, but I still take an extended look whenever I see one today whether it be broken down (usually are) or otherwise :)
Yeah, my Dad had Fords, and mostly Cortinas. Must admit, I had a Mk IV 2.0 and didn't think it was too bad a car (I was young at the time!). My sister-in-law's husband still drives Cortinas. I don't know where he finds them these days!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I remember my Dads Triumph Spitfire Mk I, Lotus Cortina Mk I, Ford Corsair and Ford Zephyr which I thought was cool as anything with it's Batman wings at the back.

Marlon

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I still have a soft spot for SAAB's, we had one from new. An old K plate 96, V4 engine and freewheel mode so there was no gearbox drag when you lift off.

We also had a nakkered old beetle and three wheelers!!!!! Wouldn't touch either of them now!!

I had an Opel Manta as one of my first "sporty" cars, loved it eek!

wrinx

1 - 10 of 10 Posts