Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi ya,
Can anyone help diagnose problem with my 2.0 8valve? :(
It fails MOT on the CO readings on fast idle and second fast idle.
the first idle limit CO should be below 0.3% (act.0.65%)
the second idle limit CO should be below 0.3% (act.0.41%)
:confused:

the llamda values are 1.013 and 0.991 respectively.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
4,651 Posts
Er you mean the CO was above 0.3 % the HC readings need to be less than 1200ppm

Anyway the first thing to do is to change the oil and fit a set of plugs then buy a petrol treatment like Redex or similar and stick the bottle in the tank when it`s low on fuel then give it a real good run ..............make sure you keep the revs up over 5000rpm in the gears to get everything hot and the fuel additive working

Then take it back to the test station and make sure its red hot when you get there

If it still fails then it might be your Cat that needs changing but i doubt it

Looking at your readings they fell from 0.65 to 0.45 between the first and second fast idle tests so it seems as though the cat is working just a little gunged up...............try the fuel treatment first ;) ;) :D should go through ok after that

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Doh!!!
yep I mean CO not HC. :rolleyes:

should be quite simple then,no parts reqd?

just as well just bought 2 new front struts as they failed (£49 each made by Sachs) don't know if they're any good but got em now so don't tell me they're NFG. ;)

·
Registered
4,651 Posts
There NFG :p :cheese: :cheese:

Sorry could`nt resist ..................Sach`s should fine :D :D :D

Hope yer get through the emmisions ok ;)

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thnx,
Just out of interest,when the MOTer was attempting the fast idle tests,he was having real difficulty keeping the revs between the limits (2450-2950).
I had a go :rant: and he was right ,the revs fluctuated on a steady throttle opening (+/-250ish):eek:
Is this same prob or different one?

·
Registered
4,651 Posts
Hmm Might be carbon build up in the throttle body which the fuel cleaner should sort also

Have a quick check around for air leaks ................does it idle ok??

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yep,
natural idle seems to be ok,but it may be less noticeable.

The only other thing I've noticed is a slight hesitation/misfire when pulling from low revs in high gears :confused:

M

·
0 Posts
Sounds like it's running lean which goes along with Speedy saying an airleak.
If it's pulling in air where it shouldn't, maybe the electronics are over compensating and overfuelling :confused:

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
You all knew I'd be along soon didn't you....

....check the lambda fuse & relay........sounds a lot like my V6 when it was playing up....

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
wrinx said:
Any <a href="http://www.ntsearch.com/search.php?q=news&v=56">news</a> on this yet?

wrinx
Yes passed, :) :)
Took it back for retest after I'd done the struts and the pads.Put some injector cleaner in and told garage to have a look at the emmisions if she still failed. :(
Anyway ,£72 later and the CO figures had dropped to 0.05%........mmmnn :tut:
This was done apparently by cleaning the Llambda and reseting the fault codes.
Well I've got my MOT pass but I'd really like to know whats wrong with it! :rant:
(they added that I'd need a new cat soon,but I'm not so sure)

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Cleaning the Lambda???? How do you do that then chaps?? Sounds a bit dodgy to me..... Clearing the fault codes...disconnect battery for 10 minutes....which also resets the ECU. Now that might have helped....

But whatever, it's got a ticket so who cares.

Nice one.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
...and I see your browser has been hijacked by the really 'useful' seach site...

"Any <a href="http://www.ntsearch.com/search.php?q=news&v=56">news</a> on this yet?"

FWIW, you can actually trust the uninstall program from their website..wonders never cease :rolleyes:

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the info on the browser hijacking..... ...couldn't sus what was going on :confused:.couldn't even use me smilies at first :(

·
Registered
3,194 Posts
ChrisS said:
Cleaning the Lambda???? How do you do that then chaps?? Sounds a bit dodgy to me..... Clearing the fault codes...disconnect battery for 10 minutes....which also resets the ECU. Now that might have helped....

But whatever, it's got a ticket so who cares.

Nice one.
Yes, very sus.
If there is a build-up of soot on the lambda, then the CAT will be clogged too.
Sounds like she's running rich or burning oil!

More diagnosis required. What's your oil consumption like?
Does it take a long time to warm up?

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
alfetta2000 said:
Thanks for the info on the browser hijacking..... ...couldn't sus what was going on :confused:.couldn't even use me smilies at first :(
It's a devious little blighter - re-parses every web page you look at, replacing all key words like NEWS, TV etc etc with links to it's own lovely self...wouldn't be quite so bad if it didn't end up breaking valid links by doing this.

Did you get it out OK??

1 - 17 of 17 Posts