Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had the EML come on when I left the GTA idling.
It cleared itself after a couple of days.

Yesterday my mechanic took it for MOT...yes the EML came on during the emissions test as it was idling..doh!

Faults read were to do with rear bank injectors/coils, but my mechanic thinks it is an ECU fault.

GTA has Wizard manifolds, everything else standard.
Alfatune re-map.

My thoughts are:
Rear bank timing slightly out?
ECU on the way out (but car runs fine, so not classic failure symptoms yet)?
ECU picking something up due to catless manifolds?

Anyone else had this?
Any ideas?

I'm going to ignore it for now as the car drives fine...just ECU throws a fault when idling for any length of time (hot or cold).

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
another thought...I have had the car in storage for three months on a smart trickle charger...battery seems fine and it always starts first time...but I'll see how it goes after using it regularly as I think this happened before from a period in storage.

·
Registered
4,156 Posts
I wouldn't think it was the ECU. More likely the o2 sensors? Did you read the error code, that's the best place to start.

Reactions: FAssarsson

·
Registered
506 Posts
I would think about lambda sensor.. my old GT 3.2 did the same thing often and general concensus when I goggled it back then was that many 3.2’s have that issue.
almost as if the value for the lambda sensors are set too close so it triggers it on idle. My money would be on the O2 sensor or slightly off camshaft on that bank.

·
Read Only
4,556 Posts
Got MES?

Graph the pre cat lambdas and post ‘em if you do have it.

Was the message about misfires on 1 - 3 , or was it “low signal”.

Is the idle smooth? If the idle is rough, then it is likely to be cams.

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Got MES?

Graph the pre cat lambdas and post ‘em if you do have it.

Was the message about misfires on 1 - 3 , or was it “low signal”.

Is the idle smooth? If the idle is rough, then it is likely to be cams.
Thanks, I have just ordered this: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/192453027995

I believe that is the thing? Will I need the registered version for the lambda readouts?

I only got vague info from my mechanic...but I believe it was to do with misfire on coils/injectors 1, 2 and 3.

Idle is maybe a bit lumpy, yes....

Any help/advice with setting up MultiECUscan appreciated...I have a PC and my wife has a laptop...so I'll have to borrow her laptop or buy my own one...we'll see lol.

·
Registered
9,347 Posts
As the licenced version of MES is €50 I would probably bin the CD and download the "free to use" software from the MES website. https://www.multiecuscan.net/ Besides they have v4.4 out now

Once bought the cables for a Peugeot off AliExpress which came with a CD of the software and my anti-virus software nearly had a coronary when I tried to install it!!

·
Read Only
4,556 Posts
Generally the Engine ECU stuff "just works". Connecting to Airbags and ABS systems can be a bit of fun.

There is a generic "misfire detected on cylinders 1 - 3" message that does not mention coils - everytime I have had this, it has been rear cam timing. This is accompanied by a lumpy idle and a very specific lambda trace as the ECU tries to compensate. As soon as you get off idle, it runs perfectly.

There are also very specific "xxx coil low signal" messages that point to a wiring fault. It usually runs like crap with these, and continues to run like crap at high speed.

·
Vendor
46,720 Posts
There's 7 possible misfire codes on these engines, 1 is a generic misfire code which isn't cylinder or bank specific, and the other 6 codes point to individual cylinders misfiring.

Could also be a very minor air leak from somewhere if its just bad on idle, but a good possibility it is a cam out like rxe says.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts