Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 76 Posts
E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK I know things could be a lot worse but they sure as hell could be better, just fed up with this poxy country. :(

·
Registered
507 Posts
I am with you Eddie

As soon as I can get my commercial pilots licence I will be flying to pastures new :D

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Leave now, before the rest of the world get
choc-fulla-brits! :)

V

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I keep meaning to ask if you can put me up Nev, I could have seen the Paris-Nice live for example! In all seriousness though, when I've been to Mediterranean countries, the whole pace and space thing seems very amenable, that's regardless of the better climate too...

·
Registered
15,174 Posts
I'm getting seriously fed up here too. :(
As patriotic as I am, as much as I love these fair Isles, there's not much more I can take. :(
Might sell up and re-start the business in Italy. Been thinking this for the last 3 years or so. It's just a HUGE step to take. :rolleyes:

But is the grass ALWAYS greener. I fear not. The problem is I just don't know...

Ah well. It's in the plan for the next 2 year budget. ;)

·
Registered
510 Posts
The quality of life is the key.

I mean, you will still need to get up every moring to go to work, get the kids to school, pay the bills etc, etc, etc no matter where you live. (unless you are independently wealthy, and if so what the hell are you doing living here!) It's the quality of life when you are not working etc that will mean the most I think. Good weather, relaxed pace certainly do contribute to feeling good.

Friends of mine who live in Australia have often said that over there people don't live to work like they seem to here, they work to live. The brits still work on average much longer hours than any other european country. We just don't seem to be able to get the balance right. And a money grabbing, greedy government won't help.

The next question is; where to go?

·
Registered
37,196 Posts
I am seriously considering leaving too. I am fed up with struggling to survive even though we are told we are better off that we ever have been. What Bullocks!!
The rich are better off and so are the layabouts, but not the average person in the street. Even then if you do have a few quid it is taxed off of you.

So where do I go? Its a long way but I fancy Australia. Maybe somewhere like Spain or Ireland, but I need to do some more research.

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I keep meaning to ask if you can put me up Nev, I could have seen the Paris-Nice live for example! In all seriousness though, when I've been to Mediterranean countries, the whole pace and space thing seems very amenable, that's regardless of the better climate too...
Last time I "put someone up" he stayed 3 months
and was still there after I'd moved.

:cheese: :cheese:

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I am with you Eddie

As soon as I can get my commercial pilots licence I will be flying to pastures new :D
Nice one! room for a passenger?

The quality of life is the key.

I mean, you will still need to get up every moring to go to work, get the kids to school, pay the bills etc, etc, etc no matter where you live. (unless you are independently wealthy, and if so what the hell are you doing living here!) It's the quality of life when you are not working etc that will mean the most I think. Good weather, relaxed pace certainly do contribute to feeling good.

Friends of mine who live in Australia have often said that over there people don't live to work like they seem to here, they work to live. The brits still work on average much longer hours than any other european country. We just don't seem to be able to get the balance right. And a money grabbing, greedy government won't help.

The next question is; where to go?
Very well put. When I had carpets done earlier in the year, the fitter was going out to Australia where he could earn more cash and have a better standard of life for doing the same job.

·
Registered
15,174 Posts
Hmmmm. I am thinking of moving back to England. Talk about going against the tide :cry:
You should stay in Prg mate.

I was to and fro from CZ nearly every month last year and I enjoyed every minute of it! :)

(my ex was from Brno ;) )

·
Registered
32,440 Posts
I am seriously considering leaving too. I am fed up with struggling to survive even though we are told we are better off that we ever have been. What Bullocks!!
The rich are better off and so are the layabouts, but not the average person in the street. Even then if you do have a few quid it is taxed off of you.

So where do I go? Its a long way but I fancy Australia. Maybe somewhere like Spain or Ireland, but I need to do some more research.

I wouldn't bother going to Ireland mate. I left and don't want to go back (only to Gods own country, Co. Cork :)). Maybe it was just where I was from but it felt so inward looking and parochial. I don't like visiting the town anymore, I feel nothing for it anymore.

The taxes are high and cars cost a bomb and aren't even near UK spec. The pcae of life is slower it must be said but that can be annoying at times. It is also now full of Eatern European emmigrants and emmigrants from Africa so is the same as the UK.

My home town is nothing like the place I grew up in. I want my parents to come over here and live nearer to me, I don't like them being there but of course they are happy there - well my Mum is my Dad would come like a shot.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Yeah, I would, but my wife (from Bristol) has had enough, and wants the kids to get english education. She wants to get back to her career, too, which being TV media is not a lot of opportunities for her here.

I've been fighting a losing battle for a couple of years now to stay, but the time is nigh now. :(

What brings you to Prague BTW? Other than the nightlife, obviously :D

You should stay in Prg mate.

I was to and fro from CZ nearly every month last year and I enjoyed every minute of it! :)

(my ex was from Brno ;) )

·
Registered
15,174 Posts
Prague has always been very kind to me TBH. :)

I also travel to Tyn quite often. All with work, not too much pleasure... ;)

·
Registered
37,196 Posts
Maybe I will give Ireland a miss then. Its just I have friends there, they speak english and it is not too far away.

I just have to leave the UK soon I cannot afford to live here anymore.
By the time I have paid my Rent, council tax and bills I can barely feed myself and run my car.
I need the car for work so if that had to go I would be well and truely up **** street.
Its not as if I have a really low paid job either. So how people on low income manage is beyond me. I cant get by on £10 an hour let alone £5.50 that some people work for.

·
Registered
32,440 Posts
it's a lovely country, the views, the Guinness :) etc etc but not as Irish as it used to be and as I say it is expensive :(

have a holiday there though, you will like it - Southern Ireland, Cork and Kerry - the best part :)

1 - 20 of 76 Posts