Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know why there are no induction kits tailored to fit the GT 1.9 JTD? After searching high and low, all I can find are the panel style filters.

So, does anyone know of anywhere that sells either an induction kit or even just a conical filter? I can hear you all saying one or two things already... so I'll preemptively say that I'm not interested in any performance gains, only a better sound, and I'm not willing or indeed capable of making my own... in fact, I probably won't even fit it myself... shameful I know. :ermm:

I know it's difficult to help someone who seems not to want to help himself but I just don't have the experience, aptitude, tools etc to do anything myself so I was really hoping to find something which was plug and play.

·
Registered
5,227 Posts
I am sure you can get a universal kit to actually fit. As long as the piping diameter is the same.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So, has anyone on here ever managed to fit one of the universal BMC CDA kits into an GT 1.9 JTD?

·
Registered
351 Posts
I have a couple of different pipe couplings/reducers for it. 80mm -70mm diameter and 76-70mm diameter. Not sure what size your original intake pipe is but I'm sure someone will advise.
Where are you located?

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah, I'm not sure of the size of the intake pipe either... I think I'll need to do some reading and digging under the bonnet if I want this to work.

I'm curious to know why you didn't like the BMC filter yourself?

...oh, and I'm in Sheffield.

·
Registered
248 Posts
I found a universal kit on flea bay that looked like it could fit for around £40 - No idea if it would be any good, my thoughts were to fit a Honda S2000 standard cone filter on the end as Ive heard a few good things about them (velocity stack and all that..........:ermm: plus they are between £15 - £20). This may be completely useless but maybe someone in the know could give some pros and cons........ or just cons lol :jester:

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It's a possibility. It may be overkill to put in the BMC CDA because the only thing I want is the sound, I'm not remotely interested in any performance gains.

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
although you are not looking improved performance I am also sure you don't to negatively impact performance/economy?

unless you site your cone filter down low or box it off and have a cold air feed up to it you are going to negatively affect performance and economy as warm air from the engine bay will be sucked in rather than nice clean cold stuff.

if you do remove/bypass the airbox to sight the cone filter down low then you have the risk of hydro locking the engine.

so if you are going to do this do it right.

1) shield it off

2) feed the filter with nice cold air from low down.

otherwise don't bother.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Yeah, I'm not sure of the size of the intake pipe either... I think I'll need to do some reading and digging under the bonnet if I want this to work.

I'm curious to know why you didn't like the BMC filter yourself?

...oh, and I'm in Sheffield.
I found the sound was just overkill in the V6, she makes a nice enough sound as standard.
I'm not after much. £50 posted. It does come with a short cold air feed pipe.

·
Registered
248 Posts
I found the sound was just overkill in the V6, she makes a nice enough sound as standard.
If Cobblepop isnt interested, i may well be. Where abouts in Wiltshire are you? Hopefully not too far from me :)

·
Registered
351 Posts
If Cobblepop isnt interested, i may well be. Where abouts in Wiltshire are you? Hopefully not too far from me
Another wiltshire boy? I'm in Wootton Bassett mate

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I appreciate the offer Dominic but I just don't know enough about this yet to risk buying anything... even at such a knock-down price.

I just wish there was someone out there who knows exactly how to fit a BMC CDA to a GT JTD... I'm willing to travel and pay for services rendered :thumbup:

P.s Thanks for your help guys, and in particular thanks to joeymannero. You always offer salient and prudent advice.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Wow, I've been on this for a few days now and it really is impossible to find somewhere which will supply and fit an induction system to the derv GT!

·
Registered
948 Posts
From what I gather there is little benefit altering induction on a diesel as they use air in a different manner to a petrol jobby...the only increase in noise being a slight amplification of turbo sound?

It may explain the gap in the aftermarket items, no sales = no demand?

Taxi idle aside I've learn't to live with the diesel clatter, though removing the front pre-cat, throttle plate/egr blanked and 250 ml of 2 stroke in every tank may have helped?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts