Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
14,426 Posts
He always comes across as a massive bellend. It's a strange comment to make at any time. To make it about someone who is putting his life on the line to save others ups his bellendery to monumental.

I wonder what he spent on his defence.

·
Registered
17,123 Posts
Can I just check something here. Musk offered (for whatever reasons) to make a sub.

The chap replied quite harshly. Could this all have been avoided by replying with: ‘thanks so much for the very generous offer, Unfortunately, due to the route in and out, I don’t think the sub will work.’

(Not excusing what Musk did next, though)

·
Registered
8,670 Posts
I think it's possible to admire someone for one character trait and deplore her/him for another. I admire Musk's vision but deplore his crassness. Kind of how I feel about Clarkson.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Well said....my sentiments exactly. I avidly follow all the SpaceX projects...phenomenal!

The cars....interesting and innovative.

The man himself....arrogant, disconnected and frankly, not playing with a full deck. Although maybe this is precisely why he has the chutzpah to do what he does?

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Neither of them come out of it well.£190m damages for being called names? The egos of both too enlarged to admit wrong doing on either side and just apologise for going ott.

·
Premium Member
77,123 Posts
Makes you wonder if the law is balanced, doesn't it?

I know that if you daub 'pedo guy' on the side of a house, pretty much anywhere, the local jury will find another way.

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
Makes you wonder if the law is balanced, doesn't it?

I know that if you daub 'pedo guy' on the side of a house, pretty much anywhere, the local jury will find another way.
His lawyer tried to bring the case in the UK, where he says it would have succeeded. (But then, he would, wouldn't he?) Apparently in the UK the defendant would have to show it was either factual or in the public interest, whereas in the States there's a "freedom of expression" defence. To be honest, it does all look a bit marginal. Stupid and offensive though Musk was, nobody thought he was making a serious accusation of paedophilia, just hurling a crass insult.

·
Premium Member
77,123 Posts
His lawyer tried to bring the case in the UK, where he says it would have succeeded. (But then, he would, wouldn't he?) Apparently in the UK the defendant would have to show it was either factual or in the public interest, whereas in the States there's a "freedom of expression" defence. To be honest, it does all look a bit marginal. Stupid and offensive though Musk was, nobody thought he was making a serious accusation of paedophilia, just hurling a crass insult.
I'm not so sure about his intent. He doubled down on the accusation, making the point that this was an older englishman, resident in Thailand etc.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts