Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
can anybody help please ? i have a 1997 spider and the battery keeps going flat. i had a mobile mechanic out who said the alternator seemed fine and to replace the battery which i did but it's still the same. the dashboard battery light flicks on when you start it then goes out and the light above the oil light (not sure what it is but it looks like a pie in an oven) is not on when you turn on the ignition
any ideas?

·
Regional Support, For Lincolnshire - AOL
16,368 Posts
The " Pie In The Oven " symbol is the cat over temp alarm so is not connected to your problem. See the link below for the other symbols.

The alternator light should be on until the engine is started and then should go out.

A lot of people have had flat battery problems caused by the Radio Head Unit, this is normally supplied by a feed that is permanently live and not switched by the ignition, I think some have found a switched feed to use instead which will of course cure this problem.

Initially just disconnect the Head Unit front panel and see if that is the problem, if the battery stays charged then you know what has to be done !

Of course also check that all your battery connections are clean and tight, poor battery connections have also given these symptoms.

http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/profile.php?do=editattachments&u=32081&showthumbs=1

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the advice nige will have another look
my alternator light just flicks on when you turn over the engine and not when the ignition is just on so do you think it could be something to do with the alternator? it was reading 13.5 v though when tested.

·
Regional Support, For Lincolnshire - AOL
16,368 Posts
Seems there is a problem with the warning light, should be on when the ignition is on and go off at engine start, it may be a problem insomuch as if there is an Alternator fault at anytime you perhaps wouldn't be alerted to it by this light coming on. It's getting to wiring diagram time for this one, unfortunately I've no ready made advice here on this one.

To put your mind at rest about the current ( no pun intended ) state of the alternator put your meter across the battery terms with the engine stopped and note the voltage. Start the engine and check again, the reading should go up a bit to something just over 13 Volts. If the voltage does not increase then there is a problem.

Hope you can resolve this one, please keep us posted and add to the AO knowledge base. Maybe someone else will have a clue, AO is quieter at the weekends so hopefully next week someone will be along who's dealt with this before.

Good luck.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts