Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few times recently there has been 'bulb failures' (rear side light/ number plate bulb failure etc) come up when I start the car when the fuel light comes on. I've never noticed any bulbs blown though. The number plate bulb failure flashed up earlier when I started the car but I didn't check it. Then later at the Ace Cafe I started it and it came up again, I checked it to see if it was blown or not and 1 of them was out. I gave it a whack :lol: (to see if that done anything) and it came on and the message went away :thumbs: but then the odometer started flashing :(. I turned the car off and then back on again and it didn't flash again and there were no bulb failure warning's either? :confused: is it just being an 'Alfa' or could there be something like a loose connection somewhere?

·
Registered
Giulia Quad, Cayman GT4, Cayenne Turbo
23,458 Posts
I wouldn't worry about it to be honest.. one of those things.. both my 147 gta's have given me funny messages about light bulbs out on startup when they aren't!

·
Registered
6,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
:thumbs: its done it for ages now but never had the flashing odometer, i know that means theres a (possible) problem so thought id ask now. my last 147 would flash up every bulb had blown when i was on a certain road, always in the exact same place and i could look down and wait for it to come up :lol: only ever happened on that 1 bit of road though and nowhere else which was really weird

·
Registered
23,458 Posts
flashing odo is a canbus problem.... sounds like it sorted itself out though.

·
Registered
6,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
it didnt do it again after that so it probably heard me telling someone its been really good over the year ive owned it :lol:

M

·
0 Posts
LJ, the bulb failure message is usually down to a poor earth connection...typically with the rear light cluster. A careful clean of the connections with a little circuit board cleaner and the gentle use of some emery board will solve the problem for good:thumbs:

·
Registered
397 Posts
There's a thread regarding the same problems on gts in the 147,156,gt section right now. suggested problem seems to be corroded connector behind rear bumper. I have no idea if 147s have the same connector.

·
Premium Member
7,522 Posts
A few times recently there has been 'bulb failures' (rear side light/ number plate bulb failure etc) come up when I start the car when the fuel light comes on. I've never noticed any bulbs blown though. The number plate bulb failure flashed up earlier when I started the car but I didn't check it. Then later at the Ace Cafe I started it and it came up again, I checked it to see if it was blown or not and 1 of them was out. I gave it a whack :lol: (to see if that done anything) and it came on and the message went away :thumbs: but then the odometer started flashing :(. I turned the car off and then back on again and it didn't flash again and there were no bulb failure warning's either? :confused: is it just being an 'Alfa' or could there be something like a loose connection somewhere?
Had a numberplate bulb failure on mine some tiime ago, that I could fix by whacking it...
At some point I just replaced the bulb, and had no problems since then....

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
Does 156 Gta have canbus like the 147 Gta? . I had service schedule expired pop up which I've never seen before

·
Registered
6,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
LJ, the bulb failure message is usually down to a poor earth connection...typically with the rear light cluster. A careful clean of the connections with a little circuit board cleaner and the gentle use of some emery board will solve the problem for good:thumbs:
Thanks for the advice :thumbs:

:thumbs:

·
Registered
23,458 Posts
Does 156 Gta have canbus like the 147 Gta? . I had service schedule expired pop up which I've never seen before
It does but the system isn't half as complicated! They are totally different systems.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts