Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a 1.6 alfa 147 (2005). I've just finished doing the clutch and CSC, put it all back together (for the 2nd time after having a the first CSC fail right away) and now it wont start.

Charged the battery and even tried it with a booster on, all the lights come on etc but when I turn the key the engine turns over but doesn't start.

I can't hear the fuel pump prime and there doesn't appear to be any pressure in the lines.

It doesn't appear to be sparking either.

If I plug my OBD tester in, the lights and dashboard go mental, switching on on off/flickering etc while the machine attempts to connect. It always fails to make a connection.

I am guessing this must be some sort of power to the ecu issue? or could it be a totally dead ecu? (please god no!)

Are there any common places for wires to get damaged, worn etc? Obviously something has been disturbed while the engine and box have been moved about but not sure what?

On occasion the engine won't even turn over, or even attempt to. It doesn't click the starter or anything. This is intermittent.

The engine did start up fine the first time I had the box off... I'm at my wits end now :confused:

Had loads of alfa's over the years but this one is a pain!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Nobody? :confused: I really need to get this back on the road, my Capri was written off the other week and for now this is my only car

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
I've got a 2005 156 JTS and when I changed the airfilter while servicing it mine also failed to start, it was the one of the fuses in the fuse box in front of the battery, I'd disturbed the wiring while I was moving it to get access to the airbox. The car turned over but wouldn't fire. That's one place to check, simply remove each fuse, check the terminals and wiring and replace.
Also check the fuel cut-off button under the passenger seat.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've got a 2005 156 JTS and when I changed the airfilter while servicing it mine also failed to start, it was the one of the fuses in the fuse box in front of the battery, I'd disturbed the wiring while I was moving it to get access to the airbox. The car turned over but wouldn't fire. That's one place to check, simply remove each fuse, check the terminals and wiring and replace.
Also check the fuel cut-off button under the passenger seat.
Checked all of them and the fuel cut off as well :confused:

·
Registered
7,032 Posts
do you have a diagnostic kit like Multiecuscan or Alfadiag and a cable ? to check if the ECU is fried
or not ? its a modest investment if you have not, pays itself back in no time !

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
do you have a diagnostic kit like Multiecuscan or Alfadiag and a cable ? to check if the ECU is fried
or not ? its a modest investment if you have not, pays itself back in no time !
I've got a bluetooth OBD, and 3 different cable based OBD systems. None of which can connect to the ECU.

But again I don't know if that means the ECU is dead or if it's an electrical issue (ie the ECU not getting all the power it needs?

The OBD port supplies power to the OBD device but thats all I know.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Have you tried swapping the fuses under the bonnet? the fuel rail fuse/relay could be blown, IIRC its the one on the left (on a 156).
Cancel that, its the one on the right!
View attachment 171979

That being said, mines a JTS, yours may be different I'm just going by personal experience. Try swapping the injector relay with the AC relay .
View attachment 171980

Yes, just went out to my car to take these pics!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Cancel that, its the one on the right!
View attachment 171979

That being said, mines a JTS, yours may be different I'm just going by personal experience. Try swapping the injector relay with the AC relay .
View attachment 171980

Yes, just went out to my car to take these pics!
Hmmm my fuse box looks nothing like that, but i'll find out which one it is and give it a try

C

·
0 Posts
Have you reconnected the earth strap that goes to the gearbox?

What's a csc?

No code system faults?

Have you checked all the connections in the fuse box? I think there's also an earth under the hinged panel inside it that holds all the fuses...

C

·
0 Posts
You've probably had the throttle body off to gain clearance to the gear linkage and starter motor. I think there's an earth from the ecu on top to the throttle body or something like that. Is this connected?

(In the pub and I've not worked on a 147ts for a while, my memory is therefore hazy...)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Have you reconnected the earth strap that goes to the gearbox?

What's a csc?

No code system faults?

Have you checked all the connections in the fuse box? I think there's also an earth under the hinged panel inside it that holds all the fuses...
You've probably had the throttle body off to gain clearance to the gear linkage and starter motor. I think there's an earth from the ecu on top to the throttle body or something like that. Is this connected?

(In the pub and I've not worked on a 147ts for a while, my memory is therefore hazy...)
CSC = Concentric slave cylinder

I've no idea if there are any codes because I can't connect to the ecu.

The throttle body hasn't been touched, only the pipe that leads to it with the MAF in it

C

·
0 Posts
CSC, well I suppose that makes sense...

Not fault codes, Code light (immobiliser)

Have you checked the inertia (fuel cut off) switch?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
CSC, well I suppose that makes sense...

Not fault codes, Code light (immobiliser)

Have you checked the inertia (fuel cut off) switch?
I'll check the code light.

I have checked the fuel switch, but even if that was tripped that wouldn't stop me connecting to the ecu would it?

Does anybody have a wiring diagram for the ecu loom? I've found a pin out diagram http://dialectd.servebeer.com/pinout.JPG So i'm going to check that I'm getting all the +ve's and -ve's that it should be, but if not is there a diagram I can use to trace that pin back into the car to see where its gone wrong?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
http://dialectd.servebeer.com/motronic 7.3.1 pin diagram.jpg

This is what I have got from the ecu plug, which if the other pinout diagram is correct means im missing a few +ve's and -ve's

I've got going into the ecu...

Pin 3: +10.83v
Pin 12: + 1.94v
Pin 15: +12v
Pin 26: +12v
Pin 27: -VE (Earth)
Pin 29: +3.2
Pin 30: +11.87v
Pin 31: +12v
Pin 45: +3.2v
Pin 46: +12v
Pin 47: +12v
Pin 50: +12v
Pin 53: +12v
Pin 60: -VE (earth)
Pin 61: +1.6v
Pin 62: +12v

Now based on the other diagram I SHOULD if that one is correct have..

Pin 15: +12v
Pin 16: +12v
Pin 24: -VE (earth)
Pin 25: -VE (earth)
Pin 32: +12v
Pin 47: +12v
Pin 48: +12v
Pin 49: -VE (Earth)

So the pins that match up are 15 & 47 but nothing else seems to???? So either the pinout diagram is wrong or im missing some +VE's and -VE's???

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I've since found a full pinout for the ECU

A1 - Not connected
A2 - Not connected
A3 - Alfa Romeo CODE connection
A4 - Not connected
A5 - Not Connected
A6 - Compressor engagement request
A7 - Power supply for accelerator pedal potentiometer
A8 - Signal for potentiometer - 1 accelerator pedal
A9 - Quadrinary - Fan 1st speed request
A10 - Cruise Control ON/OFF
A11 - Not connected
A12 - CAN-L line
A13 - Compressor relay control
A14 - Not connected
A15 - Direct supply
A16 - Supply controlled by ignition, via main relay
A17 - Not connected
A18 - Cruise Control warning light
A19 - T.MOT warning light
A20 - Preparation for Flash Programming
A21 - Not connected
A22 - Fuel level sensor
A23 - Not connected
A24 - Earth for potentiometer - 1 accelerator pedal
A25 - Earth for potentiometer - 2 accelerator pedal
A26 - Brake lights switch
A27 - Brake lights switch
A28 - SPORT function switch
A29 - CAN-H line
A30 - Fuel pump relay feed
A31 - Main relay activation
A32 - Supply controlled by ignition, via main relay
A33 - Not connected
A34 - Not connected
A35 - Rev counter signal
A36 - Not connected
A37 - Not connected
A38 - Not connected
A39 - Not connected
A40 - Signal for potentiometer - 2 accelerator pedal
A41 - Quadrinary - fan 2nd speed request
A42 - Cruise Control Resume
A43 - Cruise Control SET +
A44 - Speedometer sensor signal
A45 - CAN-H line
A46 - Injection warning light
A47 - Supply controlled by ignition
A48 - Supply controlled by ignition, via main relay
A49 - Not connected
A50 - Operation of fan 1st speed
A51 - Not connected
A52 - Fuel consumption signal
A53 - Diagnostic connection (K line)
A54 - Air temperature sensor signal
A55 - Not connected
A56 - Supply for accelerator pedal potentiometer
A57 - Air flow meter signal
A58 - Cruise Control SET -
A59 - Clutch pedal switch
A60 - Oil pressure switch
A61 - CAN-L line
A62 - Operation of fan 2nd speed
A63 - Air flow meter supply
A64 - Not connected

Most of the +VE's that im missing appear to go to the supplementary fuse box on the front of the battery tray. Labelled as B1, and its connection C.

So tomorrow I'll check the connections in that terminal block and try to trace the problem...

1 - 20 of 27 Posts