Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Afternoon All

Over the last couple of months, the speed at which my drivers window goes up and down has significantly decreased. Currently it is a similar speed to 'Continental Drift'!
This is something I would like to resolve before the warmer months. Logic says a motor issue. Logic also says expensive. Would I be lucky enough to find out there is another solution?

Many thanks is advance as other postings have been really useful!!

·
Registered
30,167 Posts
Could be a sign that the battery is getting low too.

Could also just be getting stiff in the runners, a squirt of Silicone spray lubricant in the rubbers can help if it is.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Excuse my naievity, but is it just a shot of silicone spray down the window slost, or are there specific rubbers which you are referring too?
Also, with regards to the battery, what kind of life should I expect? My 147 has just gone 3 years old.

Many Thanks

·
Registered
30,167 Posts
The rubber runners at each side of the window.

Battery life is about 4-years these days.

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
Yep, agree with all of the afore mentioned. Battery often a source of the problem. Failing all of this, remove inner door handles and door card, water curtain if fitted, operate window, may need to see if the channels are aligned 100%.

·
Registered
452 Posts
The current weather doesn't help as the councils have a passion for slinging more grit than maccy D put on their chips!. Even though you may wash your car a great deal and lookk after it the salt deposits still build up in the window runners which can affect the rubbers.
Best thing I would say will be the silicone spray as it should add a bit of glide to the operation.
Is it just the drivers window that is being slow? What about the others? Does this window see more use than the others? (if you smoke then you will find that this windows gets a hell of a lot more use then the others).

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
Certainly helps, the silcone spray I mean, but for a long term cure, the operation is worth checking. Have replaced switches/solenoids in the past.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It is only the drivers door, and is not heavily used, as I only bought the car in September (not much point in the colder months). I am a non smoker too.
I will try the silicone spray as a first step, and failing that,then possibly look at the guides in more detail.

Thanks for all your replies, and I will let you know what the result is.

Cheers

·
Registered
30,167 Posts
Can't find any Silicon spray though
Where have you been looking?

Any car spares shop will have it.
You may even find it in Tescos!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts