Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys

I'm currently finalising my book about GTV and Spider (916 series), and have been unable to get permission for a picture I really wanted to use, showing a GTV interior, door open, with electric seat controls fully on show.

I have just a week to finalise all my pictures, and it would be a shame to omit something that shows the electric seat controls.

If anyone is prepared to take a pic of their electric seat controls (*must be minimum of 1500pix wide) I'd be keen to see them for potential inclusion in the book, which will be published by Crowood.com in around 10 months from now.

if you have anything suitable would please PM me

Thanks chaps!

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Clive,
Excellent, top left just what I need - just sent you an email!
Many thanks
Robert

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Many thanks for your efforts Clive!

Still looking for some pictures of an electric seat, must be minimum of 1500 pix wide. If you fancy seeing your car in the forthcoming book about 916 GTV/Spiders, here is your opportunity! Photographer credit guaranteed in the book too...

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes of course - will post updates as the book progresses through the production process!

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Can you explain what the structure of the book will be.

History of the design, (1994 Paris Motor show),Pinan Farina designer info (Enrico Fumia, his thoughts on basing it on the nechanics of the Audi Quattro and his story) and the factories who produced the cars in the later stages, Pinafarina and San Giorgio Canavese Grugliasco and the story of it being the last car produced at Arese.

Through pre production into production, Phase 1 and 2 (1998) and 3 (2003), variants in engines in each phase, colour options and limited edition series, GTV Cup series racing, extra's (optional - electric seats, sunroofs and rear screen spoilers - I had one on my 1996 GTV ts) ,wheel sizesand types, countries exported to, numbers produced in each type, totals, etc etc

Perhaps a section on tuning, re mapping, customizing (exhausts etc etc) ?

Something it that vane or what have you planned ?

It sounds an exciting project

Alan

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi Alan,

Sorry somehow managed to miss your post - yes the book will touch on everything in your suggestion. I'm just finalising the book for submission to the publishers this month - then all being well it should be on shelves late summer/autumn this year.

Will of course keep the good people of Alfaowner posted on progress!
Rgds
Robert

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
By the way I am still looking for a photograph of GTV electric seat controls - has to have been taken by you and at least 1500 pixels wide if anyone is able to help? You will be credited as photographer in the book of course!

·
Registered
5,758 Posts
By the way I am still looking for a photograph of GTV electric seat controls - has to have been taken by you and at least 1500 pixels wide if anyone is able to help? You will be credited as photographer in the book of course!
What was wrong with Clive's pictures? I thought they pretty much covered it.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Clive's pictures were indeed excellent, but he doesn't have higher resolution versions available.

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
Enrico Fumia, his thoughts on basing it on the mechanics of the Audi Quattro and his story
Alan
Allan please expand on the Audi Quattro mechanical!

I always felt that something more interesting than the production setup was intended for the GTV but couldn’t establish what. RWD? 4WD? The thing is they could have created a lot of internal space and saved a lot of weight by making a couple of small changes to the current setup unless they had other plans which never realized.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Allan please expand on the Audi Quattro mechanical!

I always felt that something more interesting than the production setup was intended for the GTV but couldn’t establish what. RWD? 4WD? The thing is they could have created a lot of internal space and saved a lot of weight by making a couple of small changes to the current setup unless they had other plans which never realized.
Sorry just saw the post - three days late !!

Enrico Fumia the Pininfarina employee and regarded as the designer of the GTV also designed an Audi called the Quattro Quartz.
This was in 1981 and well predates by a decade his GTV car design.

Fumia took strong inspiration from this prototype and he based his initial ideas for the GTV/Spider on the mechanics of the Audi Quattro Quartz.
Indeed some thoughtsfor the GTV were to make it a possible 4 x 4 but as always it went to the front wheel drive platform instead.

Noticeable design achievements of the Audi Quartz included the clamshell bonnet masking the headlight units into quasi-quad round spotlights, an aerodynamic front spoiler, aerodynamic colour-coded bumpers, the pronounced almost identical side groove, the shape of the front bumper, are all some similar features to the later designed GTV, although it is a touch more sharp edged perhaps.

The background story was that in the summer of 1980, Sergio Pininfarina announced that he wished to create a concept car dedicated for the Automobile Revue at the Geneva Salon of 1981, based on the (then) brand-new Audi Quattro Coupe.

The advanced all-wheel drive Quattro technology offered on the original 2+2 coupe from Ingolstadt was hidden beneath a rather unexciting body, and hence the decision to use this car as a base was made. Audi happily cooperated and donated a 1980 Quattro Coupe.
Under the direction of Leonardo Fioravanti, at the time director for research and development of Pininfarina S.p.A., Enrico Fumia penned a graceful coupe shape 30 cm shorter and 8 cm lower than the original car.

Due to this, the Quartz clearly offered less space in the rear than the standard 2+2 Quattro, but it looked futuristic and stylish compared to the sober original.
That lack of space is something we 916 GTV/Spider owners know all about !!

The Quartz represented a timeless ground-breaking design for Pininfarina leading it to form the basis for the 1995 Pininfarina Alfa Romeo GTV and Spider.

Above all, the Quartz concept was fabricated from exotic materials, and featured interesting styling features such as the exhaust which was shaped in the form of the four Audi rings: amazingly this element was not taken over by Audi designers.

As for what it could do the engine with its turbocharged 5-cylinder 200 bhp Audi Quattro underpinnings and combined with the slippery Pininfarina shape gave a top speed 217 km/h, 0-100 km/h came up in only 7.1 seconds and 0-180 km/h took only 18.7 seconds.

Alan

Attachments

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Another issue was the thoughts of Gianclaudio Travaglio who was in charge of designing the rear suspension for the 916 series.
Whilst he states that two of the comparator cars that he looked at carefully were the Lotus Elan and the Honda Civic VTi it was the Lotus with its 4 wheel independant suspension that fired his imagination and caught my attention.
Just what would he have done if given the OK to go 4 x 4 as per Fumio's Audi Quartz thoughts I wonder.

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
Thanks that is real interesting.
The GTV really look’s like a 90’s rendering of the 80’s design.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Thanks for the extra shots of the Quartz.

It is when you see the rear shots you also see the similar all in one rear lighting section just like the 916 GTV/Spider series.

With the front looking similar with the clamshell lighting and the side flanks with the deep crease as well, inspiration was certainly here in this car and perhaps less so than in the obvious Proteo concept of 1990

Alan

1 - 20 of 20 Posts