Alfa Romeo Forum banner

21 - 22 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Advice above is good. However, I've been fitting an electric pump in the engine bay to all four of my 105's for the past 12 years and thousands of miles in each, with no issues whatsoever, (see above a Mitsuba pump just fitted to a Spider, my latest acquisition.)
I personally wouldn't keep the mechanical one, but you obviously can if you prefer.
With an electric-only set-up, you can use a hidden on/off switch to use as an anti-theft device if you like.
I
I've not heard of Mitsuba before. Facet pumps are popular and compact. Could I ask why you prefer Mitsuba. Are they better than facet? Do you use some kind of roll-over valve or automatic cut-out to stop it pumping in the event of accident?

·
Registered
309 Posts
Mitsuba are / were renowned as the very best electric fuel pumps available. They were used exclusively by the Ford, Vauxhall, Rootes Works Rally Teams in the 60's 70's and early 80's until most cars turned to injection. I also almost always fitted them to my rally cars back in the day. Their reliability is legendary.
I used to have a very good Cobra 289 Replica which came to me with two Mitsuba's fitted. This was in 2002, so I replaced them with Facet Red Tops, specifically to keep the Mitsuba's for the future. They were at least ten years old then, and I've transferred them from car to car ever since, and they have never, ever failed.
I thought they weren't made any more, although I've just found this link to someone in Japan selling them, and I have seen some repro ones.http://www.datsun1200.asia/category/select/cid/420/pid/9102/language/en
I don't know what the exchange rate is, but they will be expensive, as they always were, but they are without doubt IMO the best of the best. (I've also used Facet , Bendix, Carter & Hardi in the past, and none of those come close).
If you're thinking of Facet, make sure you use the cylindrical reciprocating type, (Silver 0r red-top) and NOT the squarish solid state type, as they are extremely noisy.
They occasionally come up on Ebay s/h, don't be put off buying one, as in my experience it will work as good as new, and I've also seen the repro ones on Ebay in the past, but there are none listed at the moment in the UK. The quality of an original is by far the best I've seen with the exception of the early 60's / 70's Hardi pumps on 911's.
I don't actually use a cut-off, never have, but I know I should .....

21 - 22 of 22 Posts