Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1101 - 1106 of 1106 Posts

·
Registered
10,571 Posts
We certainly need major system changes to deal with the spreading of lies and disinformation through social media,
but in this day and age 'turning off the internet' would be akin to closing all roads and putting the whole nation under house arrest!
😱:D
Just social media then.

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
We may be witnessing the beginning of the end for the Labour Party. Historically, it drew its support from an incongrous combination of:
  • Social democrats
  • Hard left ideologists
  • Working class tribal voters
The last category was and still is the biggest, but their numbers have declined along with manufacturing industry, and many abandoned Labour in this election and may not return. An associated problem is the feebleness of the Lib Dems, who have repeatedly squandered opportunities to occupy the centre left, while the Labour and Conservative centrists lost out by leaving their parties - unjust but maybe inevitable.

·
Registered
44,758 Posts
We certainly need major system changes to deal with the spreading of lies and disinformation through social media,
but in this day and age 'turning off the internet' would be akin to closing all roads and putting the whole nation under house arrest!
😱:D
Times like this I miss pre-internet days, probably just me having rose tinted specs time.

·
Premium Member
77,123 Posts
I was polite and didn't say anything while you called my opinion 'balls'. I have an opinion, but don't mean it is the best, or the only correct one and I accept it and I know my own weakness. However two things I am going to say:

First - constant reference to 'history and culture' as something that cannot be changed doesn't allow progress and improvements.
Second - only an complete loony can say that geology is important for the electoral system. Just because one knows some words doesn't mean one should apply them without thinking.
I didn't say geology was important for the electoral system. I inferred that factors, including geology, might influence the identity, topography, infrastructure, capacity for income generation and self sufficiency of a country. And those factors, together, along with historical perspectives, may influence a national view.

Which you had opted to disregard by positing that the SNP should cease to exist, or seek to contend in Aldershot as readily as Arbroath.

·
Premium Member
45,193 Posts
We may be witnessing the beginning of the end for the Labour Party. Historically, it drew its support from an incongrous combination of:
  • Social democrats
  • Hard left ideologists
  • Working class tribal voters
The last category was and still is the biggest, but their numbers have declined along with manufacturing industry, and many abandoned Labour in this election and may not return. An associated problem is the feebleness of the Lib Dems, who have repeatedly squandered opportunities to occupy the centre left, while the Labour and Conservative centrists lost out by leaving their parties - unjust but maybe inevitable.
Did the first two in your list ever really 'get on' with the last one in your list (apart from having shared goals)? The last of your list have spent the last few years being called gammons by the first two in your list, so its no wonder they didn't turn out to vote.

1101 - 1106 of 1106 Posts