Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at my next project on the 156 and remember reading about removing the hydralic power steering system and installing electric.
1) has anyone done this and would you recommend it?
2) what parts did you use?

·
Vendor
46,348 Posts
Do you mean removing the belt driven hydraulic pump and installing an electronic hydraulic pump like from a Saxo and plumbing it into the existing rack?

Or are you thinking to remove the hydraulic system altogether and fit electronic assistance motor to the column?

I've been thinking about the first option for a while now, either on my 2.4 JTD or the GTA track slag but have been too busy to do either,.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was thinking about converting to a standard steering rack with a electronic powered colum. I think that the corsa or punto system is used, but not sure really?

·
Registered
8,786 Posts
why would you want to? I can't help thinking your goal is likely unachievable.

So I wouldn't recommend it, those systems are prone to overheating aswell if you're manoeuvring a bit more.

·
Vendor
46,348 Posts
I was thinking about converting to a standard steering rack with a electronic powered colum. I think that the corsa or punto system is used, but not sure really?
There isn't a non-hydraulic Alfa steering rack available, so making one fit from something else would be a lot of work.

·
Vendor
46,348 Posts
I think the giulietta (and mito?) has electric power steering......
Sorry I meant one that would fit his platform, 156/147/GT. I doubt a Mito or Giulietta steering rack would fit a 156 without quite a bit of work.

·
Registered
38,691 Posts
I cannot understand why you would want to do it. Compared to normal hydraulic steering electric systems have zero feel of the road.

Or is that extra 1bhp or so you would gain important?

I would swap the electric steering on my Giulietta for a hydraulic setup like a shot.

·
Registered
36,832 Posts
you wouldnt want the Mito/Corsa system unless you like driving along the motorway to be like tacking a small boat into the wind!
The Giulietta has twin-pinion system to avoid the over-compensating inputs the Mito requires...
But neither would probably fit another car?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So I think I'm packing up this is generally a bad idea.
what about Puds suggestion of retaining the hydralic system powered by a stand alone pump?

·
Registered
8,786 Posts
I cannot understand why you would want to do it. Compared to normal hydraulic steering electric systems have zero feel of the road.

I would swap the electric steering on my Giulietta for a hydraulic setup like a shot.
And it wouldn't make any difference. The relatively little feedback (trust me, others are far worse) is due to the suspension geometry, and was done on purpose to get a more refined car.

·
Registered
8,786 Posts
So I think I'm packing up this is generally a bad idea.
what about Puds suggestion of retaining the hydralic system powered by a stand alone pump?
I'm not sure what the gain would be, besides simpler serpentine belt routing. Peugeot used such a system in the 307 for example (and parts). How will you control that setup however? if you're going to run the pump all the time, there's no benefit.

·
Registered
906 Posts

Fiat Stilo electric power steering is the same ****... Zero feeling on the road...

In a german car forum a guy describes it as feeling like a stirring rod in cream bowl :biglaugh:

·
Registered
6,004 Posts
I'm not sure what the gain would be, besides simpler serpentine belt routing.
Uhm, I see the OP has a 1.8 TS - If you do not have AIRCON - you cannot run the Alternator without the PS pump - the tensioner pushes the "return direction" belt against the outgoing path belt. I've tried this in my race car :smash:

With the AIRCON - you'll have to run the idler pulley the wrong way around - grooves on the flat roller on the way back instead of the way to the AIRCON. This is do-able, but you'll have to figure out what length belt to use :paranoid:

http://www.alfaworkshop.co.uk/images/71747798-179-3-800.jpg

·
Vendor
46,348 Posts
Uhm, I see the OP has a 1.8 TS - If you do not have AIRCON - you cannot run the Alternator without the PS pump - the tensioner pushes the "return direction" belt against the outgoing path belt. I've tried this in my race car :smash:

With the AIRCON - you'll have to run the idler pulley the wrong way around - grooves on the flat roller on the way back instead of the way to the AIRCON. This is do-able, but you'll have to figure out what length belt to use :paranoid:

http://www.alfaworkshop.co.uk/images/71747798-179-3-800.jpg
Do you mean like this?

Attachments

·
Vendor
46,348 Posts
What about no tensioner, no idler, just the crank pulley & alternator and using a stretch belt?

·
Registered
6,004 Posts
Do you mean like this?
Yes, that is also excluding the aircon, but using the Idler that is present in the cars WITH aircon. Cars that came without aircon does not have that idler. You can still add the aircon in the path

What about no tensioner, no idler, just the crank pulley & alternator and using a stretch belt?
I forgot about that. Yes if you can find a 4PK / 3PK of the right length it could work - 6PK is an overkill if you only run the alternator, just make sure you put it on straight

·
Registered
9,338 Posts
I think the giulietta (and mito?) has electric power steering......
probably less reliable than a properly maintained hydraulic one. We had to have our MiTo one changed in warranty .. and the dealer had a back-log to fix!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts