Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Took a couple of pics of the old boy "Frizby" on his 10th Birthday (1st Jan)

His legs are not what they used to be but he still thinks he's a puppy.

Attachments

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
The only time he's quiet is in pictures:lol:

Frizz is lovely:D

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Not a happy time at the moment. Friz had a large nosebleed on Friday, and has a rough and sometimes laboured breathing, so off to the vets they immediately referred him to the willows in Shirley nr Solihull (dog bupa! I have to say they are absolutely superb, they have called us with updates regularly and treated him with care and respect as if he were their own) after a consultation and a sleepover he's had a ct scan and they have found a tumor in his nose and one in front of his heart, they are sending them away for tests but with the nasal ones they are normally malignant. He also due to age has a partially paralysed larynx hence the poor breathing, his throat is also inflamed and swollen a little. All in all its not looking to clever for my old mate, family are in bits if im honest so am I, he's been part of the family since he was 8wks old, He's due home on tuesday all being well to then wait for the results and a plan of action if there is one.

Whilst we'd like to have him for as long as possible, I'd want him to be happy and pain free so whatever is best for him. He is insured so that's one thing we don't have to worry about.

Place seems empty without him, funny that, as you adjust to meet their needs.

·
Registered
32,440 Posts
Nice pics, sad news Leigh. As a boy I always had a dog at home and have lost a few along the way to medical problems. It still makes me sad they were such good friends to me but I also have many great memories.

Good luck and you will have those memories :)

K

·
0 Posts
I only recently became a dog owner and never really wanted one. Now that we do have one, I'd be devastated if anything happened to her.

As dpat said, you'll always have your memories.

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
Sad times matey:( We're there for you (Clare & I and AO).

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Update .....

We've had Frizby's results back from the vet and its pretty grave really,

His nasal tumor is malignant and is also inoperable so we have limited options

1. Do nothing and he probably has 3-6 months but in the vets experience its nearer 3 than 6, we can manage any pain and take a decision when we need to.

2. Anti cancer drug therapy, 4-8 months possibly 12 if really successful, but it wont cure it, side effects possible chemo type sickness.

3. Radiotherapy, trip to Liverpool or Cambridge once a week for 4 weeks, general anaesthetic, possible 12 months + but not a cure, side effects hair loss, mouth ulcers, sunburn type problems, and due to the location possible blindness - this is not an option we will consider.

So tough times at the moment, I know he's only a dog but he's been part of the family for over 10 years. We will probably initially try the drug route, but should this lead to any discomfort or major sickness we will stop and just let nature take its course until we/he decides its time to go.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
I feel your pain. My gf and split up last year after 5 years living together. We had adopted 2 retired greyhounds and I missed them like hell. I walked them every couple of weeks, a bit like shared custody of kids. Me and the ex are back together but not living together, but weekends are spent with her and the hounds, days all of us, nights me and her. Jeddie the ***** dog is now 10 and that's good for a greyhound, she still likes a run off lead, but tires quickly these days. I know time is running out and will be in pieces when she goes to the track in the sky.
You have to make Frizz's time comfortable and you will know when the sad day comes...you just know. Don't let him suffer but make a fuss in the time you have left (as I reckon you already do!!).
Pets. Stinky, never ending food bins for stomachs, ruin the garden, but loyal and loving. Where would we be without them?

K

·
0 Posts
It also filters **** as in male hen (or David Cameron)
It also filters ******, ******, ****, ****, ****, ****er and *******, all of which are equally interchangeable with David Cameron.

Hopefully the side effects of the drugs won't be too severe for Frizby.

·
Premium Member
7,625 Posts
We've had Frizby's results back from the vet and its pretty grave really,

His nasal tumor is malignant and is also inoperable so we have limited options

1. Do nothing and he probably has 3-6 months but in the vets experience its nearer 3 than 6, we can manage any pain and take a decision when we need to.

2. Anti cancer drug therapy, 4-8 months possibly 12 if really successful, but it wont cure it, side effects possible chemo type sickness.

3. Radiotherapy, trip to Liverpool or Cambridge once a week for 4 weeks, general anaesthetic, possible 12 months + but not a cure, side effects hair loss, mouth ulcers, sunburn type problems, and due to the location possible blindness - this is not an option we will consider.

So tough times at the moment, I know he's only a dog but he's been part of the family for over 10 years. We will probably initially try the drug route, but should this lead to any discomfort or major sickness we will stop and just let nature take its course until we/he decides its time to go.
Sorry this is a bit vaig but some friends have a dog who looks exactly like yours (though a *****), and she had tumours (not sure where, sorry). Anyway, they took her to Liverpool several times for the treatment, and 2 years later she is doing fine....

·
Registered
26,529 Posts
Sad news, my Lab cross was my best friend and had cancer at 10yrs. :(

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
A sad day yesterday, my good old mate Friz was put to sleep at the emergency vets. He had been unwell on xmas day and also boxing day but yesterday morning we knew it was time. He dropped off wrapped in his favourite blanket being fussed by family sitting on the vets floor with him.

I'll miss him terribly :cry:

Sleep well mate :thumbs:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts