Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4,924 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After getting my drivers side upper wishbone replaced (passenger side 4.5k miles old) and the roll bar droplinks replaced. I still have a slight knocking when going over harsh bumps (much better than before and the car feels smoother on the road too), Therefore i have come to the conclusion that the anti-roll bar bushes have seen the best of there days.

I am considering replacing the roll bars with a proper Eibach Anti roll bar kit, does anyone have any opinions/experiences with this on a 147? (suspesion will remain standard for the moment).

·
Registered
8,063 Posts
I have Eibach kit on my 156 and I think it made a good reduction in body roll without increase in harshness. Most noticeable are changes in direction are now much better controlled.

But they are not cheap and you might want to think about going for the GTA anti roll bars instead. They are not quite as thick but they are cheaper.

·
Registered
350 Posts
yeah i have it on my 147 much better:thumbs:

·
Registered
288 Posts
Iv just recently bought some of these aswell! Just waiting to get them fitted, asoon as there on ill let you know! :thumbs:

·
Registered
4,924 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Right, i have decided, GTA arb it is. The money i save will go on a csc.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
What's the difference in price between the two then?

·
Registered
25,673 Posts
I've just ordered the eibach kit to go on my car when the Q2 goes in beginning fo next week.

GTA ARBs will be fine for your twinnie though, they were great on mine, you might want to get an upper strut brace as well, might prove a good partner for the arb's in your less weighty engined car...

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Strut brace goes on at the weekend :thumbs:

·
Registered
4,924 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
8,063 Posts
You need the thicker rear GTA bar too, this will help reduce understeer but whole kit should cost half the price of Eibach kit

·
Registered
25,673 Posts
You need the thicker rear GTA bar too, this will help reduce understeer but whole kit should cost half the price of Eibach kit
What he said ;) I put both on mine, only thing you have to watch for is the sensor for the auto leveling headlights if you have xenons as this is sited near the rear arb on cars with xenons.

·
Registered
4,924 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Didn't think of that. Where can i buy that from as shop4parts only lists the Front ARB.

·
Registered
563 Posts
I've been looking at getting the GTA front and rear ARB's on my 156. It looks like you can only get the GTA rear's from an Alfa dealer. It's not cheap replacing the front though as the subframe has to be dropped 3-4 hours labour, the back is pretty straight forward though.

Cheers,

Mark

·
Registered
25,673 Posts
Got my eibach kit on and it;s chuffing awesome :thumbs: very little roll beuatifully flat through corners and seems to have helped deaden percussion into the strut when hitting a pothole, maybe it acts a bit like a tuning fork??? I Dunno but it's definitely made a massive difference :D

·
Registered
8,063 Posts
Got my eibach kit on and it;s chuffing awesome :thumbs: very little roll beuatifully flat through corners and seems to have helped deaden percussion into the strut when hitting a pothole, maybe it acts a bit like a tuning fork??? I Dunno but it's definitely made a massive difference :D
Thats good to hear that they make such a difference.

GD.....I assume you've kept the original GTA bars, any chance you could measure the GTA bar diameter? :) seems to be some confusion over the thickness of the GTA bars

·
Registered
25,673 Posts
Thats good to hear that they make such a difference.

GD.....I assume you've kept the original GTA bars, any chance you could measure the GTA bar diameter? :) seems to be some confusion over the thickness of the GTA bars
Nope, they'll be thrown in a corner of the mechanics workshop, I can get him to measure if you like, shouldn't be a problem however it aint just diameter that's a limiting factor, the type of metal used will also have a large affect on rigidity of the bars so I wouldn't get too hung up on diameter.

I'll still be looking to see what can be done with titanium tube at some point as arbs weigh a chuffing ton.

I've got a set of digital verniers so I could pop over sat mornign and do some measuring just in case there are deviations along the length due to design factors.

·
Registered
8,063 Posts
I was having some discussion that the GTA front bar is 24mm but it might actually to be only 23mm - so basically just needed a quick measurement. :thumbs:

And rear bar too :p

The GTA bars are probably worth quite a bit if your going to sell them as an upgrade for a standard car - the discussion I'm having is to do with replacement poly bushes for them :D

·
Registered
25,673 Posts
The GTA bars are probably worth quite a bit if your going to sell them as an upgrade for a standard car - the discussion I'm having is to do with replacement poly bushes for them :D
I think I've clawed that back in the price it cost to fit the Q2 and the Eibach ARBs (that I sourced) and the brake hoses, plus all the other bits and pieces it was only £700

1 - 19 of 19 Posts