Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would you put Eibach red lowering springs (25mm) on a GT standard suspension or upgrade to koni/bilstein suspension??

·
Registered
71 Posts
Gas thingy ?

I find the ride less crashy, but due to being less flexible you notice it over speed bumps.

My Mrs didn't notice lol

I've had lowered cars and hot hatches before and these springs still feel softer

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Gas thingy ?

I find the ride less crashy, but due to being less flexible you notice it over speed bumps.

My Mrs didn't notice lol

I've had lowered cars and hot hatches before and these springs still feel softer

excuse my technical description :biglaugh: I meant the bilstein/koni are use Gas pressure technology as with the standard do not, so was thinking that they will quite firm and you will feel every bump!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Ah right. No I found the opposite effect. So going over a small pothole previously would shake my bones, however now it's no where near as bad. The general ride is improved.

Handling much improved.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ah right. No I found the opposite effect. So going over a small pothole previously would shake my bones, however now it's no where near as bad. The general ride is improved.

Handling much improved.

I had this advisory in my MOT, nearside front lower Shock absorber has a slightly worn bush bush in lower suspension arm, do I replace the worn bush with new, or invest in some new shocks all round :alien: before I add the lowering springs?

I found these Koni STR.T Shock Absorber. The Koni STR.T Shock Absorbers are designed to be a perfect companion to a car’s original equipment, standard or sport package springs as well as performance lowering springs of up to 40 mm.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I had this advisory in my MOT, nearside front lower Shock absorber has a slightly worn bush bush in lower suspension arm, do I replace the worn bush with new, or invest in some new shocks all round :alien: before I add the lowering springs?

I found these Koni STR.T Shock Absorber. The Koni STR.T Shock Absorbers are designed to be a perfect companion to a car’s original equipment, standard or sport package springs as well as performance lowering springs of up to 40 mm.
or replace all the bushes with powerflex, will that make the shocks like new, or will they be degraded generally over time i.e. my car is 2009. Sorry for all the questions, but want to get this right :thumbup:

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
I have eibach springs on standard shocks (156). Can't say I noticed any improved performance but the lower stance is much more appealing and I have no grounding or rubbing issues.

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
I also have eibach on standard shocks.

much better in every way, but going over a very bumpy road results in the car emphasising the bumps. for example, coming off a speed ramp results in a bounce upwards of the car. Bit hard to explain but you can tell its not perfect.

I would lower it for the looks alone.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I have just fitted 25mm Eibach springs on standard shocks to my cloverleaf. Ride is much better although I agree with t3yls, and again its worth it for the looks alone.

·
Registered
6,165 Posts
Ok after some reading, sounds like my FSD and Eibach is the way to go.

I remeber asking this somewhere before, i really dont want to be replacing tyres often.

How is anyone with lowered shocks getting on with inner edge wear. I had issue on my 166 and was sick of changing tyres every 1000miles.

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
Ok after some reading, sounds like my FSD and Eibach is the way to go.

I remeber asking this somewhere before, i really dont want to be replacing tyres often.

How is anyone with lowered shocks getting on with inner edge wear. I had issue on my 166 and was sick of changing tyres every 1000miles.
25-30mm drop wont affect camber to that extreme... Tbh if you're shreading tyres in 1000 miles, it's sounds like either your rolling a slammed out stancer, or you've got some serious toe issues, or something is rubbing...

There are some camber correction bush inserts floating about here, but they're mainly for larger ride height drops I thought...might end up pushing the wheels over too far!

·
Registered
6,165 Posts
Maybe on the 166 toe just was not set up.

I find that anything over -1.40 camber eats inner wear. -1.30 or less is fine. Guess i'll just have to see.

But from what I have read Eibach springs are just the way to go.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts