Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Righty then. Looks like I'm using the 159 a bit more now as the jobs changing and it's the family car....so, it's a small list of things that annoy me but I'm starting :)

Hesitancy. On very light throttle it (56 reg 159 jtdm 1.9) hesitates. Like a petrol with a gummy sparker.
My mrs is very gentle with the car and it's doing short journeys. Methinks the egr is an issue...
So I've bought a vented blanking plate (engineer in me says that's a restrictor not a blank but hey!:)).
Have I done a good thing?

·
Registered
507 Posts
Yes :)

Its a fix that Alfa implemented I believe after they discovered the egr gets gummed up. However if its already exhibiting the issue, you might need to clean the egr valve/replace it.

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I cleaned it up on its last service about 6k ago and it wasn't really that grim.
So the vented ones are ok? Only there's vented and non vented.
When I did my old petrol omega it was a total block..

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
ive also been thinking about this lil mod , thow i have now faults with the way my car runs
I've got cables and full copy of MES if you ever get stuck matey!

·
Registered
291 Posts
I cleaned it up on its last service about 6k ago and it wasn't really that grim.
So the vented ones are ok? Only there's vented and non vented.
When I did my old petrol omega it was a total block..
Yeah the vented ones is ok.

Fitted the official Alfa one about a year ago only about £6-7 which looks exactly like the one in the eBay link. Never had an issue with warnings or such. Though it still allows my MAP to get sooted up too much considering I went from a totally open gasket to this partially blanked/restricted one.

·
Registered
4,836 Posts

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
Many of us have fitted the version below, its easier to fit than the Alfa one (only two bolts), and reduces the flow more (therefore more of the advantages), a couple of people (literally a couple) have said it gives them the EGR fault code though, for most of us it was great.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/EGR-valve...arts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item19d6f36971
Would this be as good as blanking the EGR completely and plugging in a dongle to keep the engine management light off? Or would the benefits not be quite as good. Don't mind purchasing a blanking plate and dongle together if the benefits would outweigh a vented blanking plate...

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
Would this be as good as blanking the EGR completely and plugging in a dongle to keep the engine management light off? Or would the benefits not be quite as good. Don't mind purchasing a blanking plate and dongle together if the benefits would outweigh a vented blanking plate...
It will never be as good as blanking the EGR completely.
I started with this plate (the diamond with a hole), and then went fully blanked when I got my dongle. The improvement with the fully blanked plate over the restrictor was (in my opinion) as pronounced as between restricted and unrestricted. The new urgency off the line was fantastic, and how I imagined the car should be.

I also got better MPG and don't have to use the clutch as much pulling off (which has got to be a good thing). Full report on my findings here (done about 15,000 with it now!).
http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa...d-egr-removal-no-remap-dongle-5-000-mile.html

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
It will never be as good as blanking the EGR completely.
I started with this plate (the diamond with a hole), and then went fully blanked when I got my dongle. The improvement with the fully blanked plate over the restrictor was (in my opinion) as pronounced as between restricted and unrestricted. The new urgency off the line was fantastic, and how I imagined the car should be.

I also got better MPG and don't have to use the clutch as much pulling off (which has got to be a good thing). Full report on my findings here (done about 15,000 with it now!).
http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa...d-egr-removal-no-remap-dongle-5-000-mile.html
Sounds good to me. Ordered a fully blanked plate and am looking into the dongle. Got to be worth doing. The positives far outweigh the negatives and, with just over 100,000 miles on the clock, am worried about all the soot / manifold / swirl flap issues that seem to be reported. Hopefully, by bypassing the EGR, this will become cleaner or, at least, not get any worse. On the whole, the car runs like a dream - especially after we've re-built the dreaded M32 gearbox, so am after preventative methods for other known probs. The DPF is already drilled significantly!

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I fitted it, took less than 5 minutes. In fact, getting the engine cover rubbers back on the engine cover took longer!
Improved it a bit.
While i was there i popped the drakebox on and hid it. :D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts