Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I seem to be suffering from a faulty EGR valve and a turbo with sticky turbo vanes. I've dropped the car of to my mechanic and will be picking it up on Saturday (I'll let you know how I get on).

Symptoms:
When booting around in high gears it goes into limp mode, which a restart (turn the engine off and then on) even whilst driving, sorts out. When I'm on the motorway, even if I don't put my foot down, it'll go into limp mode the second I take my foot off and then accelerate again. (Which is thought to be due to the EGR valve)

I was just wondering what could I do to try and keep the EGR in good condition and also prevent getting sticky turbo vanes again...

I'll post back on Saturday, when hopefully I will have some good fortune :)

I'm pretty sure its gonna sting the pocket though...

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Right well i got the car back, turbo is spooling up a lot faster and my clutch is slipping in 3rd and 4th so will be looking to replace that soon.

however it still goes into limp mode at the top of gears 4, 5 and 6 and even with slight acceleration in high gears when carrying a lot of luggage. jamie believes that it may be due to my map overboosting so perhaps that needs tweaking, im going to speak to a few tuning companies and see what they say, i'll post my results...

V

·
0 Posts
I've had a similar problem with my remap which was helped by Jamie at Alfaworkshop dismantling and sonically cleaning the turbo. I still get the odd Engine Management Failure, normally on cold mornings, but the benefits of the remap outweigh the negatives for me.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yeah ive had that done by jamie and also a repair by turbo technics, i was hoping that would solve it but not yet...the search goes on

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
There are modified egr gaskets available with a much smaller hole for the exhaust gas to flow through, its just enough to restrict the flow but not trigger a warning light.
Or you can get a plate from Ebay with a hole in it for a few quid

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I contacted Angel Tune, spoke to Nige, who told me to bring it down and if they werent able to repair it, there wouldn't be a charge, so can't really go wrong at that agreement. Went down to see him, was greeted nicely, and he got straight to work. A little while later, he actually re-mapped my car faster than the tea was served which is quite impressive, I took the car for a blast, and presto, no limp! For the first time in months I could floor it in 4th, 5th and 6th without worrying about it going into limp.

Its only been a few days, and as per Nige's request, I will test it over a week or so, and then if all things go smoothly I will transfer the money over to him.

Honestly, I cannot recommend Angel Tuning enough, not only did they solve my limp mode, even though he had never met me before, he told me to go on my way, test it and then get back to him. Honestly, if you want a remap, do not hesitate and contact Nige.

Will post back after a few days, P.S. Im seriously considering there full carbon-fibre air filter ;)

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
without knowing why you were going into limp mode (what fault code you are getting) you are going to have very little clue as to your real problem and therefore fixing it. after all you did have a problem and a remap is probably masking the fault rather than curing it.

I imagine it was likely an overboost fault, probably the VNT control solenoid, failing to control the turbo properly. I imagine the remap has simply increased the max boost in higher gears, so instead of bringing the actual boost pressure down, they've moved the desired boost up, therefore hiding the problem.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I had it looked at numerous times by Jamie at AlfaWorkshop, who I have all my work done by, and he kept the car a while and said that he believed it was the remap.

Im sure I'll find out soon, if the problem comes back :)

I'm not sure of the error code, it had something to do with the boost pressure sensor i think, however Angel Tuning did say that the ECU reads met the demand and they too believe that it was overboosting...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts