Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
I've been having a lot of trouble with my 159 the last qouple of months. It's very hard to get the engine started after a qouple of hours of standing still, and its kinda juddery when driving on low revs.

It's been in and out of the workshop, without it helping much. They did mention that the injectors MIGHT be to blame, but I dont want to go down that route just yet.

So I was thinking I'd have a go at cleaning the EGR-valve as this might help me solve it.

So my question is, WHERE is it located? I've got the 1,9jtd 120bhp version...

(For those interested: My 159 is incredibly hard to get started when its been standing still, say overnight. Outside temperature doesnt seem to matter, as it was just as bad during the summer as it is now. Strange thing is: If i turn the ignition on (without starting the engine) and let the car run through all the checks and everything until it says "Press brake or clutch"....THEN start the engine, it starts every time. But even then it does shake rather violently and it doesnt sound good, rather like its getting choked..

If I try starting it as soon as the pre-heating symbol disappears on a cold engine, its a no-go. It just coughs, shakes and well...dies.)

All tips are greatly welcomed!

·
Premium Member
1,848 Posts
maybe worth checking the glow plugs if its hard to start and i would also run some injector cleaner through :) not sure where the egr is on the 120 but the 150 has it mounted on the rear right hand side of the inlet manifold as you look at it.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The workshop said the glowplugs were okay, but it might be worth checking again.
Injector cleaner is something I havent tried yet, that might also be worth a shot!
Thanks for the suggestions! Things do to during the weekends are always nice to have! :)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
But it happens during the summer as well, when its 30 degrees outside. Exterior temperature doesn`t make any difference at all to the problem :(
When I wrote "cold engine" I meant it as in having stood still for a qouple of hours.

·
Registered
358 Posts
I think the glowplugs only really kick in when it is really, really cold, and I mean cold!!, the EGR sits behind the engine, just by the Power Steering (I think) reservoir, I would be surprised if its the EGR, best bet is to get some diags on it

·
Registered
421 Posts
few issues with crank sensors on here lately. maybe worth a search and a read?
Yeah it could be this (crank sensor) or maybe dual mass fly wheel??? I'm guessing this takes the vibrations away from the engine vibrations? Not sure if i'm right there.

C

·
0 Posts
Should 120bhp=150bhp bhp, or is it for real
They made a 1.9 8v JDT version of the 159 which was 120 bhp - just never sold it in the UK.

Mine did this and it was caused by the EGR valve sticking, so I'd try replacing/cleaning that.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts