Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does the egr flap in the inlet manifold, y'know the one that looks like a throttle butterfly, open as the car cold starts or does it stay shut and drag in eg's until it's warm?

I ask as mines being a sod to start. Before I blanked the egr off (lots of Aggro with a non sealing egr valve) it started 2nd turn, no questions.
Now it's 9 or 10.
My thinking is that the butterfly is shut and it's thinking the egr is active, trying to suck again a (now) dead leg.

Or am I eating cheese from under the fridge again?

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ye gods!!! :eek:
Doesn't look like that thankfully!!! Was the rest of the intake that bad?

·
Registered
15 Posts
yes.

So I cleaned up the butterfly and got what I could out of this end of the inlet manifold.
Its had EGR delete on it so theory says it wont get worse. Getting the inlet manifold replaced / thoroughly cleaned is on my list of things to do but unlikely to be done for a while. I like to think it idles smoother now, though there is nearly always a puff of smoke from the rear end (DPF gone as well).

http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj11/sidevinders/IMG_20140614_123030small.jpg

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Looks good at the end of it all!
(Scary assault rifle by the way!!) :)
Did yours run on after you'd pressed the stop button?
I'm wondering what would happen if I removed the flap part from the spindle...?

·
Registered
896 Posts
Does the egr flap in the inlet manifold, y'know the one that looks like a throttle butterfly, open as the car cold starts or does it stay shut and drag in eg's until it's warm?

I ask as mines being a sod to start. Before I blanked the egr off (lots of Aggro with a non sealing egr valve) it started 2nd turn, no questions.
Now it's 9 or 10.
My thinking is that the butterfly is shut and it's thinking the egr is active, trying to suck again a (now) dead leg.

Yes Ithink your clucking at straws. When iI clean out my throttle body I read some where don'tt touch the bbutterfly don'tt ,move it. I think its not llike a petrol engine at all and is only used to stop the engine. Clean your tmap sensor that may help its only held in by one torq bolt they are usually filthy unless egr blanked.
More post on here about tmap sensor some people call them map sensor but its tmap temperature manifold air pressure top of the engine near the egr/throttle body. Not to be confused with the maf sensor mass air flow
Which is in the air inlet system nearer the air filter box.

·
Banned
3,110 Posts
EGR is ECO- device.
It is always open car has no speed irrespectively revs.
While speed EGR would close at particular combination rev&speed.
Could be some slight deviations.

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes Ithink your clucking at straws. When iI clean out my throttle body I read some where don'tt touch the bbutterfly don'tt ,move it. I think its not llike a petrol engine at all and is only used to stop the engine. Clean your tmap sensor that may help its only held in by one torq bolt they are usually filthy unless egr blanked.
More post on here about tmap sensor some people call them map sensor but its tmap temperature manifold air pressure top of the engine near the egr/throttle body. Not to be confused with the maf sensor mass air flow
Which is in the air inlet system nearer the air filter box.
Yeah, tmap is brand new, maf has been removed and cleaned to within an inch of its life.
I realise its not an actual throttle butterfly per se, its just that in my head, with the egr now non existant, the system may well be closing that butterfly thinking its pulling in exhaust gasses when it actually cant.
Its a pig to start. It has new glo plugs and all the nasty crud has been cleared out of the inlet manifold.

Ahh sorry - not that I remember. Nothing obvious anyway.

Also I moved the butterfly valve for the inlet to help clean it with no ill effects - if thats what you mean.
Thanks mole, the valve itself is very much like the ts throttle when it moves, i might remove it just to see what happens :D

·
Registered
300 Posts

Now it's 9 or 10.

That thing that 'looks like' a throttle body actually is one lol, its servo controlled, when you put the key into the ignition you can hear it cycle open and closed again, as with the swirl flaps. Its closed on start up and opens about 4% on ignition and the more gas you give it the further it opens. You can run your car on ecu scan and it tells you exactly how much. Primarily it controls air flow to the manifold and regulated pressure via a reading from your map sensor.

·
Registered
12,570 Posts
That thing that 'looks like' a throttle body actually is one lol, its servo controlled, when you put the key into the ignition you can hear it cycle open and closed again, as with the swirl flaps. Its closed on start up and opens about 4% on ignition and the more gas you give it the further it opens. You can run your car on ecu scan and it tells you exactly how much. Primarily it controls air flow to the manifold and regulated pressure via a reading from your map sensor.
Tried that explanation before mate, it falls on deaf ears.........move along.:rolleyes::rant:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts