1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Vendor
45,826 Posts
I've had a batch of laser cut ones made up, these are great for diag on the 2.4. Give me a shout if you want some, you need 2 ideally.

·
Vendor
45,826 Posts
One before EGR valve, one flush with the manifold. You could just cap it off at the manifold but if the EGR valve is still working it'll soon get full up of soot.

·
Vendor
45,826 Posts
That would do it, I have a blank for the turbo outlet as well, wondering if it'd be worth getting some made up? Fitting them to the EGR valve & manifold is a doddle but those bolts in the exhaust manifold were a real mission on mine, took hours.

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yep got that one on mine.

Might have to take it off for its MOT in January though ...just to get rid of the little yellow light.

That light won't (currently) cause it to fail the MOT ... on my older car the light won't even go on with it blanked :thumbs:

·
Registered
5,064 Posts
I fitted the restricted gasket to the 159 after a clean of the valve. It had 2 8mm holes in the middle. I can't say I noticed a difference in performance or pick up, but after 15K miles the EGR was much cleaner (took it off for a look out of interest). It also didn't throw up any ECU lights at all, and the 159 seemed pretty sensitive and threw a light up at the slightest change in running.

Would the 2 hole version be better for a newer car? Such as my 57 plate GT? Am concerned that the ECU would have a fit and throw up a xmas display with the EGR totally blanked off!

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Would the 2 hole version be better for a newer car? Such as my 57 plate GT? Am concerned that the ECU would have a fit and throw up a xmas display with the EGR totally blanked off!
Possibly ... with newer cars the ECU measures the emissions and compares them to the expected values, with the EGR open those values would be different so it all depends upon the tolerance of the software + how sensitive YOUR EGR is to the holes ... this is why switching off the EGR on modern cars is not just a case of turning it off, the map also has to be adjusted to expect different values ...

If you've got EGR problems on a more modern car then why not just get it switched off in the ECU?? a (cheaper) non DPF remap will achieve this ..

·
Registered
5,064 Posts
Thanks Chris, interesting thought.
(Touching wood....) I haven't had any problems with the EGR on the GT, took it off before the drive to Italy to make sure it was cleaned, and has been great.
I do give it an italian tune at least once a week, keeping all the relevant valves nice and clear...

After xmas I will be looking at a remap/tuning box, so maybe that would be time and place to get it "switched" off? Having said that, it hasn't been a problem, and the car is on its original valve at 76K miles.

·
Registered
5,064 Posts
Although, after a week of "economy" commuting, if I give the car a blast, there is generally a cloud of soot behind me! Especially noticeable at night in car headlights.
I just assume it is the emissions system having a clear out as I am opening the throttle after being gentle all week.

·
Registered
9,912 Posts
chris my car same as yours engine wise and i get p0404 fault in ecu and mines blanked as well :confused:

edit : no holes in centre mind

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
chris my car same as yours engine wise and i get p0404 fault in ecu and mines blanked as well :confused:

edit : no holes in centre mind

:confused: I have been told that my car won't raise an error ... oh well looks like we'll see then!!!

·
Vendor
45,826 Posts
Seems like it's a case of "maybe it will maybe it won't". This is the second 2.4 10v cf3 150bhp I've blanked off and no errors on either. Both on standard map.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts