Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had some work done and found the egr blanking plate badly corroded e.g. Small hole. Anyone else had similar experience? Had egr delete 3 years ago and 25k miles. Surprised it didn't last longer.

·
Registered
36 Posts
What's the plate made from? I've heard the ally ones can eventually burn through.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Yes I also had a hole corroded in the (aluminium) blanking plate.

Strange how this can actually happen in a dead end after the egr cooler??

·
Registered
39 Posts
I'd say replace with a Stainless Steel one, 304 or 316 SS should be fine. Can't see either of those corroding through.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'd say replace with a Stainless Steel one, 304 or 316 SS should be fine. Can't see either of those corroding through.
Not sure of material (garage took photo of plate) but really surprised how quickly it has corroded. Got replacement from eBay but it's aluminium.

·
Registered
36 Posts
If you're handy with a hacksaw or angle grinder you could knock one up from stainless using ally one as a template?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Not sure of material (garage took photo of plate) but really surprised how quickly it has corroded. Got replacement from eBay but it's aluminium.
Stainless Steel ones on Ebay are still pretty cheap. Would surely last longer than an Aluminium one.

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Are you sure Alfa didn't end up supplying plates with a tiny hole in. I thought I'd read that a couple of years ago.

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Yep, but I guess they weren't allowed to supply a complete blank plate/EGR delete.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Was this Alfa supplied balking plate really done or just folk lore? Sounds a bit Alfagateish to me.
Was done...But Alfa had no choice as EGR still has to be functional...If it can help your "feelgoodfactor" about Alfa, every other manufactor suffer from same problem with their EGR-systems..Some more some less, but endresult are the same...Especially if you have a relaxed drivingstyle or do short runs.

·
Registered
4,802 Posts
Alfa did supply partial blanking plates, there were two versions to my knowledge;
For the 1.9 jtdm 8v, a diamond shaped one with three small holes
For the 1.9 jtdm 16v It was the rectangular one with four holes in.

AFAIK you just need an 8mm hole to stop the EML coming on.
Not sure of any benefits from three small holes over one large, presumably it was have higher turbulence, which might just help mixing of the gasses.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App[/color

1 - 14 of 14 Posts