Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
3,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had a dpf remove and EGR delete on my 159 but heard stories of the EGR still losing pressure even though it's closed shut. Is it worth fitting a blanking plate over the EGR valve even though in theory it should be closed anyway ?

I asked the remap company about this and they say it's not needed but i'd rather solicit opinion from others as well - so is there any point doing this ?

TIA,
Mike.

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
It's probably only required if you think the EGR doesn't close properly.

I've also heard a story of a remap being carried out but with a leaky EGR. Maybe the tuner who did yours is saying it isn't necessary because they're inspected it to make sure that it's closed.

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
It's a 20 minute job to see if it's leaking and another 10 to clean it if it is, so worth a check.

Mine was passing quite a bit when I got it.

·
Registered
3,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My concern is 'if it's not broke...' but then again how would i know if even slightest bit of pressure is been lost ?

If it can't cause any issues putting one on then for the few quid it's worth it regardless, the seal might degenerate over time so having a plate on safeguards against any future issues....or am i being too simplistic here ?

·
Registered
696 Posts
fit one anyway,

it'll take 10 mins tops, and you wont get dirty hands like you would by cleaning the egr.

It's the only sure fire way of being 100% sure there's no dirty air getting in.

:)

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Fitted one on mine. It was checked by the tuner to make sure is was fully closing. But for my own piece of mind I fitted one.

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
I have one (but without the remap). the benefit of that is that i get an extra orange light on the dash ....which is one more than you lot get :p

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
I cleaned my EGR until it was spotless. If i then blew through it hard it would still pass a bit, and my blowing is nothing compared to the pressure on the valve when fitted.

Definitely fit one

·
Premium Member
45,240 Posts
Just wondering how much pressure there is ?
The exhaust gas is taken from the manifold before the turbocharger so there will be a lot of pressure in there.

EDIT: It does pass through a cooler before it hits the EGR valve so will contract and reduce the pressure a bit, but it'll still be fairly high I reckon.

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
The exhaust gas is taken from the manifold before the turbocharger so there will be a lot of pressure in there.

EDIT: It does pass through a cooler before it hits the EGR valve so will contract and reduce the pressure a bit, but it'll still be fairly high I reckon.

'Fairly high ' ? i'll just take the pipe off and test it ! :)

·
Registered
3,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Guys - is it an easy fit or should i just let the local Indie pop it on ?

I've seen a youtube clip and it looks straightforward enough (on an Astra) - any images showing the exact location on the 159 ?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts