Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On Christmas day I had a pain in my ribs. Agony. Paramedic arrived in less than 10 mins. A+E doc said probably gall bladder. Tests done 2 weeks later (at 6pm so i didn't have to get time off work). Visit to consultant 6 weeks after that - yes i have gallstones and need my gall bladder removing :eek:

So here I am waiting for my sister to take me to the hospital to have the op this afternoon !

From pain to cure (hopefully) in less than 6 months - that's very efficient, don't you think?

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
From pain to cure (hopefully) in less than 6 months - that's very efficient, don't you think?
Depends - Have you been in agony for the last 6 months? If so - then that's shocking.

If the pain was releived and there was little urgency, then 6 months isn't too bad in the grand scheme of things I suppose.

·
Registered
19,792 Posts
6 months? Doesn't matter whether he's in pain or not. That's terrible.

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
6 months? Doesn't matter whether he's in pain or not. That's terrible.
Well, if his early treatment relegated his need for surgery to non-critical / non-urgent then it may well be terrifically efficient to have prioritized all the urgent cases ahead of him wouldn't it?

What if he'd posted to say that "the bloody nhs had kept me waiting 4 weeks for life saving open heart surgery, meanwhile the incompetent idiots had already operated on my next door neighbour who only needs his gall bladder replaced and he's not even in pain...."

We'd then be complaining that the nhs could prioritize their way out of a paper bag.

N

·
0 Posts
It's terrible when you comapre it to the service I see
people get here. ;)

(In fact, it's not terrible, it's a ****ing disgrace! :mad:)

R

·
0 Posts
It is the age old problem of the best allocation of scarce resources. We want a larger, better NHS ready to treat any of us at a drop of the hat, but we don't want to pay for it. Even assuming there will be some inefficiencies and wastage, more money to the NHS = shorter wainting times. We reap what we sow

·
0 Posts
'they' want us to go private ;) - but still contribute the same money into the system - just like Dentistry :mad:

Anyhoo, all the best :thumbs:

·
Registered
30,408 Posts
Highest paid doctors in the world, after the USA = NHS

Highest paid nurses in the world, after Australia = NHS

That is where the majority of our resources have gone.
Nurses get paid next to nothing for the work they do.
They are worth two or three times the amount they get paid.
Its the management at the top that gets paid way too much and there are too many of them.
Oh and GPs!

·
Registered
37,599 Posts
Nurses get paid next to nothing for the work they do.
Daily mail reader or nurse AV?
They are worth two or three times the amount they get paid.
That would put most of them on £90K plus
Its the management at the top that gets paid way too much and there are too many of them.
Aye!!
Oh and GPs!
What, you don't think they deserved a £30K pay rise???
:lol:

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Op a success :thumbs: I'm back home feeling slightly woozy and VERY sore but OK.

Interesting reading all these comments (btw i'm a 'her' not a 'him'!) Fortunately I haven't been in pain at all since the episode at Christmas - they decided to do the op so the pain wouldn't happen again (gall stones REALLY REALLY hurt). One of my friends had the same problem a few years ago, was in pain virtually every time she ate anything and she had to wait 2 years for her operation, by which time she'd lost nearly 3 stone in weight. I was expecting the same wait but i suppose it depends which health authority you're with.

I agree with the comments about nurses not being paid enough but it seems to be the case that pay and job importance don't match.

:)

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Apa...these days the NHS has a stipulation that from referral by your GP to cure or appropriate treatment, there should be an interval of no more than 18weeks....thats somewhat shorter than 6 months...
if you werent in pain then the op would be scheduled as an elective op..which was your case, but if you were symptomatic regularly and their investigations showed particular problems, then im sure your op would have been scheduled as an emergency.
this is not usually the case...
your friend who waited 2 years...well, thats just shocking!
but it should not happen anymore...
the nhs does a fab job getting treatment to people within the time period....bearing in mind that we pay only national insurance, we really are blessed with a fantastic service.
yes, certain people are undervalued and underpaid, but not everyone has ultimate responsibilty for the lives of the patients that lie on the operating table or in the beds...this isnt often taken into account.
that responsibility is what is overlooked when people complain that various nhs employees are overpaid.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
That's my point exactly, things have improved with waiting times. The consultant who did my op had been brought into the hospital specially to reduce the waiting list - from seeing him to having the op was within the 18 weeks. I was really pleased to be seen so quickly.

I agree that overall the nhs does a good job. I'd hate to have a system based on personal health insurance - many people just wouldn't be able to afford it. It's reassuring to know that medical attenion is available for everyone, especially in an emergency.

Nurses, doctors, anaesthetists, fire fighters, police officers, teachers (I'm biased here as I am a teacher), paramedics etc etc all have jobs which really help people and come with a high level of responsibility which isn't always adequately rewarded - especially when you consider that many footballers earn a nurses annual salary in a week :confused:

H

·
0 Posts
I think the NHS, overall is a great system. I've never had any complaints when myself or my family has been in hospital, either for planned operations or for accidents.

I was unfortunate enough to be in A&E a few weeks back in the early hours of a saturday morning, and the sickening abuse that the staff were getting from drunks with busted heads and bruised knuckles was unbelievable, and I'd guess that over half (probably closer to 3/4) of the 'patients' were in there because they'd been fighting and/or drunk.

I take my hats off to the staff for dealing with people like that and still smiling, because I certainly couldn't manage it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts