Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was just checking over the car before taking her to the body shop and i noticed the rear tyres have got scary tyre wear in the inside....pretty annoying since the rest of the tyre has loads of tread left :cry:

I'm guessing this is cause of the merc bushes failing? Or what other bits and bobs are probably shot?

I'm beginning to wish the insurance company had written her off now.....:rant:

·
Registered
267 Posts
I've just had four-wheel alignment done on my 164 for this very problem. I assumed it was negative camber due to failed bushes, but it turned out that the toe-in was completely out.

I found that a lot of places said on the 'phone that they do four wheel alignment, but then when I turned up and showed them the problem said they couldn't do it, which was pretty infuriating. Eventually I found a proper motor-sport place with a Hunter four wheel alignment system that gives you a pre and post-alignment printout. Wasn't cheap at £75 but hopefully it's sorted the issue.

·
Registered
6,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
cheers tom - she'll be going in to the garage next week to have a look at the front end rumbling/knocking so i'll get them to have a look....i'll maybe see if i can have a look before for any obvious play.

·
Registered
10,889 Posts
aye, i suppose it was only a matter of time - she has done 135k now :D
Well there only is 3 bits....the merc kerknuckle thingymahbob,the arm that can be powerflexed and the bit I havn't tackled yet the boomrang arm.
yep the inner edge can occur at a tremendous rate .Do you know what your camber is sitting at?

Are you sure the collision/shunt has not had a more serious impact.;):D

Pomeo

PS Mines are now low mileage wrt to you.;):cheese:

·
Registered
599 Posts
My indie did some kind of bending to the rear end in a jig i believe 6 months or so ago and things seem to be better. Car was a bit / \ after being lowered.

All Merc bushes etc. done first of course.

H

·
Registered
10,889 Posts
My indie did some kind of bending to the rear end in a jig i believe 6 months or so ago and things seem to be better. Car was a bit / \ after being lowered.

All Merc bushes etc. done first of course.

H
What Hami says..all bushes etc done first and them the alignment.

Pomeo

·
Registered
754 Posts
The rears on the 166 seem pretty easy to knock out of alignment. I've gone through rears quickly in a similar fashion; some minor work (I forget what) set them out of camber.

·
Registered
6,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i jacked the car up and had a good wiggle of the rear wheel and i couldn't really feel any noticeable movement....was expecting quite a bit to be honest so hopefully it's just the alignment that needs doing. She's away to the body shop now so it will just need to wait :D

·
Registered
754 Posts
After dropping £££ that time I got the rapid inner wear, I now routinely run a 30 visual second check of the rear treads after big trips, just in case.

It don't think it helped that I ran something very soft back then, I forget whether they were Pirellis or Goodyear F1s. I'm now on Michelin Pilots which seem much tougher (and quieter, and grippier ... ).

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
Ask for a copy of the post work print out. Any alignment centre with good equipment will do one. it should show:-

1. Thrust angle (effective angle of rear wheel steering if rear toe is out.)
2. Individual rear toe.
3. Rear camber.
4. Front toe.
5. Front camber.
6. Front caster.

Some don't automatically do a "before" print but you can ask for one if the work isn't already completed. Some show before and after on the same sheet.

·
Registered
54 Posts
From forum I have read that somewhere exists tracking data for TI suspension. Does anybody have the exact figures for it? None of the tracking stands/computers I've been, have this info.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts