Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Premium Member
77,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Reservoir Run

This route catches some pretty fantastic roads and amazing scenery so if it's a nice day should be a great run out.

Date: Sunday 29 March

Time: 10am for a 10:30am getaway

Meeting point: Start at the car park on the Dam of Derwent reservoir.

Route: From there head down to Stanhope then head up past Kilhope then on to Alston.
From there it would be North towards Haltwhistle where we would pick up the Military road to head up to Kielder water where we can end at the Kielder Castle cafe for a brew and some well deserved nourishment. http://www.dukespantry.co.uk/

Hope to see you there,

Edraven :thumbs:

·
Registered
3,908 Posts
Getting to the start point (for those that have asked), from the North or West follow the A69 until the A68 turn off and head South towards Darlington for approx 10 miles, look for a Brown information sign for Blanchland Weardale and Derwent reservoir picnic area, its a right turn just after a farm house and a small row of cottages.

If your coming in from the South then hit the A68 turn off the A1 towards Corbridge and follow for approx 30 miles then not far after Castleside look for the same brown info signs.

This is the B6278, follow this for approx 1 mile, you will pass a tearoom/b&b on the right then just after this the road bends sharp left and you will see a stone bridge crossing the river, don't cross but take the turn on the right just before the bridge, there are Northumbria Water signs at the turning, follow this road and it will take you to the dam where there is a car park.

The postcode DH8 9TT gets you fairly close to the place.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Getting to the start point (for those that have asked), from the North or West follow the A69 until the A68 turn off and head South towards Darlington for approx 10 miles, look for a Brown information sign for Blanchland Weardale and Derwent reservoir picnic area, its a right turn just after a farm house and a small row of cottages.

If your coming in from the South then hit the A68 turn off the A1 towards Corbridge and follow for approx 30 miles then not far after Castleside look for the same brown info signs.

This is the B6278, follow this for approx 1 mile, you will pass a tearoom/b&b on the right then just after this the road bends sharp left and you will see a stone bridge crossing the river, don't cross but take the turn on the right just before the bridge, there are Northumbria Water signs at the turning, follow this road and it will take you to the dam where there is a car park.

The postcode DH8 9TT gets you fairly close to the place.
Ta:thumbs::)

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Hoping the weather picks up! Still looking forward to this run (I'll be on my own, Sarah is working this weekend). I'll be in my Giuli as the Spider took a knock at the weekend and is at the insurer's assessors :(. Really hoping they don't write it off... !

·
Registered
3,908 Posts
Yes hopefully a bit of sun will show its face, although shouldnt spoil too much if it doesnt still be a good run out.

Will keep my fingers crossed for your Spider.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Unfortunately not going to make it. Hope you get some decent weather, have fun, stay safe and i'll see you at the next one :thumbs:

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Still good to go here :)

·
Registered
6,361 Posts
Going to have bail on this one Ed, sorry but duty calls.
Hope you all have a great run out.

·
Registered
3,908 Posts
Good stuff, and 1 more to boost the convoy a bit:thumbs: good on ya Stuart.

Any of you maybe's feeling the need for a drive and cake?

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Just checked how long to get to the start point - 1hr 50. Means an 8 am start - actually thats 7 am really (clocks go forward tonight !!!) :eek:. See you there, but I'll be in despearate need of coffee!

:)

·
Registered
3,908 Posts
Just checked how long to get to the start point - 1hr 50. Means an 8 am start - actually thats 7 am really (clocks go forward tonight !!!) :eek:. See you there, but I'll be in despearate need of coffee!

:)
You will pass the A68 cafe which will be open, and there is a cafe at the start point but not sure of the opening times of that one, but will see you there:thumbs:

Edit, just had a check, the tearoom is just a bit before you turn into the Derwent visitors centre, Redwell Hall Farm and is open 10am till 5pm.

I think I'll be making this one for a run out!! :thumbs:
Nice one Woody, you've made the half dozen up look forward to seeing you there.

Hope the weather stays like this afternoon, bit windy but no rain, fingers crossed.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Just heard A1 is closed tomorrow in both directions from midnight tonight for 16 hours!! between scotch corner and leeming bar! there is diversions set up but says to allow an extra 30min to your journey!! :(

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Mmm - that's a problem. AA routeplanner with a non-motorway route puts me on the A19, then between Stockton/Middlesborough on to Sedgefield, Chilton, Durham and A691 Consett. Only about 20 mins longer, but more traffic from the Diversion will slow it down I guess. Should still be able to get to DH8 9TT for 10.30 if I leave at 8am.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts