Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
3rd breakdown in one month!

My yellow V6 spider refused to start on Tuesday morning, got Green Flag to tow me to Alfa/ Fiat independents Days MK Ltd in Milton Keynes. They have had a look at it and suspect the main ECU is fried - they tested fuel pump electrics and found main ECU is getting power but also not sending out signals to other components incl fuel pump & imobiliser box

They now need a wiring diagram/schematics for the ECU.

I have an ECU on my spares car in Somerset with immobiliser box & keys

But Days quite rightly say they would like more testing in case they put replacement ECU etc in and that also gets fried!

They have diagrams for CF1, CF2, and the later 3.2 and other Alfa models but not 916 CF3 they have asked their contacts incl main dealer but no joy !!

Anyone?

·
Registered
4,627 Posts
If you download the usual workshop manual package, what you want ( ECU ME3.1 ) is in Vol 3 part 2, 1998-on models, Section 55-29F.

Open the file and drag the scroll bar to about 80% of the way down and you should be reasonably close. At the top left it'll say "Spider-GTV '98" and at the top right look for 55-29F.

·
Registered
'98 GTV V6
1,299 Posts
Here is the manual extract that pkr is referring to.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Many thanks guys! from what the mechanic said, I was expecting a different version of the ECU - but its been confirmed as an ME3.1

·
Registered
30,171 Posts
Many thanks guys! from what the mechanic said, I was expecting a different version of the ECU - but its been confirmed as an ME3.1
CF1 = M3.7.1 (cable throttle)
CF2 = ME2.1 (fly-by-wire)
CF3 = ME3.1

3.2 = ME7.3.1

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Had to hire a car to get back to Somerset on Friday, returned on on Monday and delivered engine ECU, immobiliser ECU and appropriate key from my "spares" car to garage in Milton Keynes. They fitted and the car is now running again.

The old car is still trying to haunt me because the air bag light came on, just as it was, when I parked it nearly 7 years ago!! Soon corrected though!

I'm using the original key in the ignition. With a replacement key temporarily taped near the aerial loop to turn out the code light

It's a temporary arrangement, I now need to swap the lock set, but this can be done as and when. Getting out the 1st door lock from the spares car was time consuming, but the 2nd was quicker when I worked out what to do! For the boot lock I followed a guide on here.

The steering lock looks a b*gger, anyone done this? I will need two new special bolts to refit the steering lock, I can't find them on ePer, anyone know the part numbers?

I never had a barrel in the passenger airbag switch in the spares car so looks like I'll have to leave the original barrel.

Glove box, I'll just swap the complete box. I'm not sure yet how to swap the cubby hole lock. Guess I'll have to dismantle the mechanism

Dave at Days MK Ltd thinks the ECU was fried because I jump-started the car previously (about two weeks before it died). So the moral of the story is to be very very careful when jump-starting. Making sure there are no sparks!!! Of not jump start at all!!

Rich ;)

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
The ignition switch bolts can be undone with a small chisel. Just replace them with normal bolts, M8 I think but might be fine thread.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts