Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi Guys,

wifeys 166 is running a bit sluggish in idle - have no probleming above 1000rpms.. I was thinking of resetting the ECU in order to see if this could help it.. Could resetting it cause any other problems?

could anyone point out the procedure for resetting the ECU..?
hoped to find it in the "homemade Haynes" but with no luck :) so I've tried to do a search for it but couldn't find it..

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Will this work for the 166 as well?

found this thread after looking thourgh several hundreds :)

"ECU reset - Disconnect battery, short the red and black leads to drain any residual voltage from system.
Reconnect battery. Turn ignition on fully but don't start car. leave in this key position for 90 secs - you will hear the stepper motor in throttle body whirr and click for some time. Turn off fully and leave for 90 secs.
Now see if it starts but DON'T touch throttle until engine has got up to normal operating temperature ie rad fan comes on.
Turn off. Start her up again and take for a good blast!"

http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-164-and-166/44755-1999-166-2-5-v6-wont-start.html

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
should work on the 166 aswell, there is no need to connect the + - battery terminals as the residual voltage will dissapate in a few seconds after disconnecting the battery anyway, it does need to be left disconnected for a long perion of time though to make sure it resets properly :thumbs:

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I'm back..
the procedure worked :) the idle is better but still not perfect..
Guees i'll have to look at the MAF..
will have a go in it know..

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hmmm just came back..
The idel is much better but the car does not accelerate/pick up ithe throttle as before..

It took 20 sec to hit 100 (60mpg)..!?!?!?!

any thoughts, or am i dealing with a ver sick beast.?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
bløødy hell - i forget to turn of the engine after it had warmed up!!!
Will this have an effect?

stupid stupid.. :)

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Haven't disconnected the MAF.

just had a go in the car again and it seems like it runs ok up to about 4500rpm, then it starts to run like it runs on 3-4 cylinders, this also happens if you floor the throttle at any revs..
Could the ECU be in some sort of guardian mode?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts