Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have seen loads of threads regarding ECU resets but most are years old, I was just wondering if the suggested list of instructions are still the same or have they evolved in any way over the years.

Is there a more up to date set of instructions for an ECU reset?

Can this be done by the AA/RAC?

·
Registered
748 Posts
I did this yesterday as per the main thread.

ECU Reset
1. Disconnect battery for 45 mins
2. Reconnect battery, and turn ignition to MAR for 90 secs
3. Turn off and leave 90 secs
4. Start engine WITHOUT pressing throttle and let the car idle for 15 mins (I repeat, do not touch the throttle whilst the car is idling)
5. Turn engine off and leave for 10 minutes
6. Start the car and go for a drive, using a number of styles (eg town, motorway, thrash etc)

Can't tell if its done anything yet as hardly driven yet....but no ill effects ( car still runs! ).

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info, I will try it tomorrow and report back.

If I need a new EGR valve and Map Turbo Sensor, where is the best place to get them?

·
Premium Member
7,399 Posts
basically, all that does is re-initialise the throttle valve...
As a diesel doesn't have one, it's not going to do much (anything) .....

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
you need to blank the egr not buy a new one! have you cleaned the sensor ...its like a 5 min job ( you mean the sensor in the inlet manifold?)

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The EGR has been blanked and sensor cleaned, the Engine Management was cleared of all faults but the light has come back on today, if the ECU reset turns the EML off it will be a result as the car is running ok.

It's just that light .....................:mad:

·
Registered
3,064 Posts
The EGR has been blanked and sensor cleaned, the Engine Management was cleared of all faults but the light has come back on today, if the ECU reset turns the EML off it will be a result as the car is running ok.

It's just that light .....................:mad:
It's a brand new fault that's causing the EML...

Blanking the EGR without a remap to delete the EGR software from the ECU causes a new EML to come on.. The ECU looks for a drop in airflow from the MAF when the EGR valve is opened - when you blank the EGR without the remap; the ECU actuates the valve, expects a difference in the MAF, and if it doesn't see a drop in the MAF then it throws up an EGR fault message.

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
if you search that fault code, you'll find every post mentions faulty egr or blanked egr. It may be the code that will always be there because you have blanked the egr, despite the description that is allocated to it. You can't clear the egr blanked code unless you access the ecu.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I will go through the process to reset the ECU and if the EML comes on again I will just replace the EGR Valve and Turbo Sensor.

Where can I get the best deal?

Can you buy an EGR already blanked off or if I am buying a new EGR am I best leaving it?

·
Registered
3,064 Posts
You've completely misunderstood what's going on here...

Remove the blank, start the car a few times, and the light will go out.

Replace the EGR valve and keep the blank, you'll still get the EML because the blank causes it. It's nothing to do with the vlave or MAP sensor, it's because you've blocked the EGR flow without getting the ECU remapped to allow you to run without it.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
I will go through the process to reset the ECU and if the EML comes on again I will just replace the EGR Valve and Turbo Sensor.

Where can I get the best deal?

Can you buy an EGR already blanked off or if I am buying a new EGR am I best leaving it?
There's nothing wrong with your EGR or MAP (turbo) sensor. All your current faults are because you've blanked the EGR valve without a remap/delete.
Modern electronic EGR valves can't be blanked in the same way the older vacuum operated ones could, they require a tweek to the cars ECU software...

·
Premium Member
7,399 Posts
it clears parameters from sensors and re learns them
no it doesn't, only a "real" reset with f.i. mes does that....

from elearn:
<snip>
The control unit implements the self-learning mode in the following conditions:
removing-refitting or replacement of the injection control unit
removing-refitting or replacement of the throttle body integrated with D.V.E.
removing-refitting or replacement of the rpm sensor/flywheel, for recognizing misfire.
The values memorized by the control unit are preserved if the battery is disconnected.
System self-adaptation
The control unit has a self-adaption function which recognizes changes in the engine which occur as a result of bedding-in and ageing processes of both components and the engine itself.
These changes are stored in the form of modifications to the basic mapping, and their purpose is to adapt the operation of the system to the gradual alterations in the engine and components compared with their characteristics when new.
This self-adaptation function also makes it possible to even out inevitable differences (due to production tolerances) in any replaced components.
From the exhaust gas analysis, the control unit changes the basic mapping in relation to the original characteristics of the new engine.
The self-adaptation parameters are not cancelled if the battery is disconnected.
<snip>

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
no it doesn't, only a "real" reset with f.i. mes does that....

from elearn:
<snip>
The control unit implements the self-learning mode in the following conditions:
removing-refitting or replacement of the injection control unit
removing-refitting or replacement of the throttle body integrated with D.V.E.
removing-refitting or replacement of the rpm sensor/flywheel, for recognizing misfire.
The values memorized by the control unit are preserved if the battery is disconnected.
System self-adaptation
The control unit has a self-adaption function which recognizes changes in the engine which occur as a result of bedding-in and ageing processes of both components and the engine itself.
These changes are stored in the form of modifications to the basic mapping, and their purpose is to adapt the operation of the system to the gradual alterations in the engine and components compared with their characteristics when new.
This self-adaptation function also makes it possible to even out inevitable differences (due to production tolerances) in any replaced components.
From the exhaust gas analysis, the control unit changes the basic mapping in relation to the original characteristics of the new engine.
The self-adaptation parameters are not cancelled if the battery is disconnected.
<snip>

Simply disconnecting the battery doesn't reset the parameters - correct.
Following the ECU reset procedure after disconnecting the battery does reset the learned parameters.

·
Premium Member
7,399 Posts
Simply disconnecting the battery doesn't reset the parameters - correct.
Following the ECU reset procedure after disconnecting the battery does reset the learned parameters.
nope, only resets throttle body and idle....
but if you believe hard enough, it works.... :p

1 - 19 of 19 Posts