Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought i would post this as not many people seem to get petrol engines remapped (most diesel) this is for those thinking about it and wanna know if its worth it.....
I got my 2.0 147 selespeed remapped with Nigel at Angel, he came to my place and he was fantastic, great guy didnt make u feel stupid reallly chatty which i think is top, now gettin onto the remap, the power difference is minimal anyone looking for more power and acceleration its ok but not a miracle cure! what u get is slightly better response through gears, it basically feels a little less sluggish at lower revs.
The remap cost me £250 all in and id say if u havent got much money dont bother but if u have some spare cash lying around go for it!
Hope this helps all the people like me who wants to know...shall i?!

·
Registered
3,681 Posts
there are loads of threads giving the same advice. you should have read them before you spent the money :)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i read loads b4 and all of them had people saying how great and what a big difference it makes hence why i went for it. I dont think it was a complete waste of money or anyting but i think if i no what i do now i prob wouldnt have gone for it as the difference isnt drastic enuff for me, each to their own i guess???

·
Registered
224 Posts
Watch how sooty the inside of your exhaust is going to get. Hope you don't need a replacement catalytic convertor in 12 months time given all the unburnt fuel thats going through....

·
Registered
2 Posts
Quick question...was thinking of getting a remap, have a 147 2.0ts selespeed. Was just wondering if there is any marked improvement in fuel economy.
If not are there any ways to really improve fuel economy?
Look forward to your responses.

·
Registered
9,912 Posts
i read loads b4 and all of them had people saying how great and what a big difference it makes hence why i went for it. I dont think it was a complete waste of money or anyting but i think if i no what i do now i prob wouldnt have gone for it as the difference isnt drastic enuff for me, each to their own i guess???
remaps ive had on petrols have made a remarkable difference in smoothness of engine and the way they pull but i havent used you remapper......... so i would put question back to your mapper:thumbs:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hi all
Although new to this forum and to Alfas, I am a bit of an old dog around engine building and tuning and have come across this so many times, I thought twice about posting as this topic can get a little heated.
There is no perfect map for any particular car, and I am talking about individual cars not a specific model. There are so many variables from fuel octane rating in the tank at the time of the map to the ambient air temperature at the time of the remap ( assuming a live remap was performed ).
So asa basic start point, make sure you have good clean reliable fuel in your car at the time of the remap, as well as the oil being of the correct viscosity and be at the right level ( not filled to the top mark on the dipstick ).
Any aftermarket parts that you want to fit should be fitted before the remap is done, yes I know its obvious but you will be amazed at what has been asked of mappers, ' I'm going to get a full decat and big bore kit, can you map it for these before I get them?' I am not kidding!
And get it done on a day with a reasonable temperature, not in the middle of winter and not in the middle of a heatwave either.
On a standard car with the 'cat' in place and the standard airbox a remap should as a couple of guys have said, give you a smoother power delivery, a bit more midrange ( I did say a bit ) and very little at the top end.
The biggest problem with any modern car is the cat! If you want more power, better fuel economy and a smoother faster power delivery 'ditch the cat'!
Mappers get a hard time sometimes, mapping a standard car ( petrol ) is possibly a waste of time and money, but that is up to the owner or bill payer, yes you should notice a difference, even my wife notices a change when I have been 'playing', but I would suggest get the intake and exhaust sorted ( including ditching the cat ) then get the car remapped, then you will notice a difference.

Cheers Ive

·
Registered
9,912 Posts
mapping a standard car ( petrol ) is possibly a waste of time and money, but that is up to the owner or bill payer, yes you should notice a difference, even my wife notices a change when I have been 'playing', but I would suggest get the intake and exhaust sorted ( including ditching the cat ) then get the car remapped, then you will notice a difference.

Cheers Ive
most engines usually overfueled standard (safety lean engines hole pistons))and as manufacturers go on about economy they run ecu lean in rev range deemed for economy ,now uk have good quality fuel and as cars are shipped all over the world and uk cars travel as well they have to cater for poor fuel ..........so mappers give more ignition advance add more fuel and take it away where its not wanted , also a mapper can give a lean spot in range and customer thinks he's got a huge power hike from standard

·
Registered
1 Posts
Where?

Hi! I´m from Guatemala, where did you get your ECU remapped? Is there a website of some sort? or maybe an email? Thnx

·
Registered
50 Posts
OK, have had the CATs removed (legal here) and a POD type filter installed along with a new thermostat to stabilize the temp, and boy what a diff in performance. The car now seems to be running pretty rich tho, can really smell unburnt fuel at idle. Would an ECU reset help with this or is a remap required?

·
Registered
5,227 Posts
The only way to squeeze more power out of a petrol without any mechanical changes is to advance the timing until the engine starts to knock.

You can only advance this as far as the octane level in the fuel allows before knock (Or pre ignition).
Diesels are easy. You just dump more fuel in and it makes more power (Very crude).

Alfa's engines are lean burn and mapped to 95 octane generally.

You can however get higher octanes (You can buy 100 octane readily at the pumps) which should yield more power as long as the car ignition is mapped to it. This by default results in more power per power stroke and thus uses less fuel to obtain the same power.

Running rich on a petrol doesn't give any extra power. It just cools the combustion chamber. Too rich and you get bore wash.

The main thing a remap does with a petrol engine N/A is to smooth that power delivery and make it more usable and smooth. Unless mapped live using a higher octane fuel and then you can get extra power from it.
Equally using a thinner weight oil will actually free up some horses.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts