Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

With the cosmetics now sorted on the GTV, and now beginning to turn my attention to improving the performance, albeit on a budget!

I've noticed in the last week, some ECU chips arriving on ebay. The one guy from Berlin reckons that it's possible with the upgrade to get 170+ bhp. To be honest, I am little sceptical at only £79!

What are your thoughts?

·
Registered
6,811 Posts
my thoughts, bo ll ox, there my thoughts, with anything inolving "chips" on ebay, unless there the potato kind:D

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
I have to agree with Alfa-Red ............. Save your £79 and use it to buy some petrol and enjoy the car .......... The only way you are gonna do anything with the electronics is a remap and then your gains will be in driveability and not much noticeable +BHP.

Cheers to All
Peter

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
Hi Guys,

With the cosmetics now sorted on the GTV, and now beginning to turn my attention to improving the performance, albeit on a budget!

I've noticed in the last week, some ECU chips arriving on ebay. The one guy from Berlin reckons that it's possible with the upgrade to get 170+ bhp. To be honest, I am little sceptical at only £79!

What are your thoughts?
The chip wont work, but you know that, to improve performance you need to make it breathe and exhaust better, and also remap to suit, to breathe better a cold air induction kit 250ish, to exhaust better a performance exhaust 300ish (but the skys the limit) and de-cat or fast flow cat, de cat 56.95 (just bought one),remap 400ish if its done well you will get around 170bhp, but more importantly increase the torque and move it lower down the rev range, the pull you feel at about 3,000 rpm is the torque,ur only making 80ish bhp at those revs, dont forget you dont get max bhp till 7,000ish revs and how often are you there? so if you enjoy tinkering and improving and want to spend a grand enjoy it, or buy a v6 but it'll probably cost more than a grand:)

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
like I said, I was sceptical.
Have already changed the exhaust with a nice stainless free flow (no transverse box) and fitted a KN filter.
The exhaust made a difference with more go and sporty sound, but KN has made very little difference.
The remap would be the next step, but I like the idea of changing the twinny for a V6, shame the missus doesnt!?

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
I am up for being educated but what evidence is there to suggest cold air will show a noticeable improvement in performance? Would not the sensors i.e lambda etc help the ecu adjust according to conditions.

·
Registered
6,811 Posts
I am up for being educated but what evidence is there to suggest cold air will show a noticeable improvement in performance? Would not the sensors i.e lambda etc help the ecu adjust according to conditions.
precisely, the ecu will adjust the fueling, cold air is more dense than warmer air, and requires more fuel to burn. more fuel = more power. educated:thumbs:

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
Cold air is denser,(more air in a given volume),therefore it contains more oxygen, oxygen improves combustion.

·
Registered
6,811 Posts
Cold air is denser,(more air in a given volume),therefore it contains more oxygen, oxygen improves combustion.
slightly more scientific than mine:lol:

·
Registered
6,811 Posts

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
When air is heated up or warm, the particles vibrate and move further apart, so for a fixed mass of gas, the volume increases (greater amplitude of vibrations means they take up more space).

The formula for density is: Density= Mass/ Volume

Cheers to All
Peter

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
When air is heated up or warm, the particles vibrate and move further apart, so for a fixed mass of gas, the volume increases (greater amplitude of vibrations means they take up more space).

The formula for density is: Density= Mass/ Volume

Cheers to All
Peter
Have u got a bronze certificate too?

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
like I said, I was sceptical.
Have already changed the exhaust with a nice stainless free flow (no transverse box) and fitted a KN filter.
The exhaust made a difference with more go and sporty sound, but KN has made very little difference.
The remap would be the next step, but I like the idea of changing the twinny for a V6, shame the missus doesnt!?
Time for that remap then nick, its probably more fun to tinker than just go out and buy anyway,.......... my missus is so car blind that if i ever want a v6 all i need do is make sure its a red one (ts is red).

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
btw Nick, this is my powergraph from a couple of weeks ago, car is standard apart from a stainless cat back (de cat going on soon), see what i mean, where you feel the "pull" in a TS is at the torque peak, not at the bhp peak, so the trick is to get more torque with ur mods and move it further down the rev range, have fun tinkering:thumbs:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Have u got a bronze certificate too?
I got the Silver one ............. and not only did I have to "retrieve" the Rubber Brick from the bottom of the deep end................. I had to come up with the formula for "Kinetic Energy" .......Which apparently is

For an object that is moving the kinetic energy equals one half times the mass of the object times the square of the speed of the object. In symbols:

EK = (1/2)mv2

I'd have got the gold if I'd got that right..........

But I screwed up........ and ended up with 30 Kilos of Weapons Grade Plutonium. I was expelled for that one .............

But i did get a job offer from the North Koreans ............ But as I was only 16 my dad wouldn't let me go ............. Said I needed to get an apprenticeship and "Get a Trade Under Yer Belt Lad"........

Cheers to All
Peter

·
Registered
6,811 Posts
I got the Silver one ............. and not only did I have to "retrieve" the Rubber Brick from the bottom of the deep end................. I had to come up with the formula for "Kinetic Energy" .......Which apparently is

For an object that is moving the kinetic energy equals one half times the mass of the object times the square of the speed of the object. In symbols:

EK = (1/2)mv2

I'd have got the gold if I'd got that right..........

But I screwed up........ and ended up with 30 Kilos of Weapons Grade Plutonium. I was expelled for that one .............

But i did get a job offer from the North Koreans ............ But as I was only 16 my dad wouldn't let me go ............. Said I needed to get an apprenticeship and "Get a Trade Under Yer Belt Lad"........

Cheers to All
Peter
show off:cheese:nerner:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts