Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 114 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had my 59 plate Mito Veloce 95bhp for a month now and and wondering about the lack of economy! :confused:

I can manage about 300 miles to a full tank of petrol which i dont think is that economic, especially as my previous car was a 1995 Mitsubishi FTO 2.0L V6 with the same size tank and managed 250 miles on a full tank.

The brochure about the Mito said it did between 30-65mpg depending on the urban or rural driving, i have done both and its never gone about 31 mpg!

Is this something i should get checked or does this sound about right for a brand new car???

Thanks

·
Registered
841 Posts
Sorry chap but youd best get used to it. Lots of threads on here and the Mito is unfortunately poor on fuel economy. Manufacturers figures as per every marque are just downright lies. Alfa just takes it to a whole new level. I think most people are only getting 30-35 combined if they drive them enthusiatically regardless of the engine :)

G

·
May improve slightly as the engine 'wears in' - loads of threads to search on this subject & I mean loads :lol:

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for that.
Here was me thinking i was getting a economic little runner haha
oh well! good job its fun to drive

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
The problem is it's too fun to drive. Nobody wants to drive it economically in Normal mode, because that's just boring. A heavy right foot is more the point of an Alfa.

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
i can get 40mpg on my 120bhp petrol if i drive carefully, even in urban areas.. 45-50mpg on motorway if you stay at 60-65mph. with it's performance, i don't think it's bad really.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ill keep an eye on it and may get it checked out if it doesnt get any better. Should have kept the FTO as my run around and the Mito as my weekend car haha

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
went up to York from Nottingham on Motorways and still didnt get more than 32mpg according to the dash computer. On that occasion managed 320 miles to a full tank!

·
Registered
7,708 Posts
I'm annoyed about the MPG too. The main reason I traded my 2.0 litre Fiesta ST in was for increased economy and I'm not getting it (I have the 95bhp engine MITO, too). And this is incredible when you consider and compare the two engine sizes. I might aswell have gone all-out and bought the 155bhp and had extra fun while I was at it.

But...I'm driving an Alfa Romeo, so I can forgive it of this (sort of).

P.S - Can anyone here answer why this is. I'm baffled.

·
Registered
44,882 Posts
Went from Coventry to Belgium last november, averaged 46 /47 mpg :D That's from a 95hp doing 70mph on the UK motorways and doing the national limts in France and Belgium. Everyday driving I'm getting between 38 and 40 mpg which is not too bad, not what Alfa promised but a lot better than the 29 / 30 mpg I was getting from my previous car.

EDit: car is a 59 plate with 1700 miles on the clock

·
Registered
397 Posts
From experience ANY car with less than 10000 on the clock will not
show advertised MPG.
Get the miles on it and both performance and economy will improve

·
Registered
7,708 Posts
Cool-o. We'll I'm on 7000-odd miles now and I have noticed a difference in MPG (but not as dramatic as I'd expected), so maybe another few thousand miles will help.

·
Registered
6,811 Posts
Maybe Alfa are lying anyway:)
But buy a diesel if you want economy and to wreck the planet
i what way does a diesel "wreck the planet" more than a petrol:confused:

anyway, they get better with more miles as the loosen up, so dont worry

·
Registered
336 Posts
getting about 30-32 mpg in current weather (lots of queing and stop start driving). Drops to about 25-28mpg if Mrs Walkies is driving (school run)

1 - 20 of 114 Posts