Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've being having a look at this lately, perhaps because so many people request help on 156 and 147 suspension. It is not a definitive list, because some options are just too expensive, and others, like Koni Sport, are just too hard for day to day use. (Please don't post and say you have Koni and think they are ok- they are too hard.)

If anyone has any of the listed options, please feel free to post a brief description of your thoughts.

1. Koni FSD dampers. These are £540. We know they work. Not a kit, just dampers, so no lowering. Probably don't need to be declared on insurance though. The Eibach Pro kit -30mm springs are a popular addition to the FSDs for another £130. Standard springs will provide a better ride, but used with Eibach Pro springs, this still provides almost unaffected ride with vastly improved handling and body control. Available from EB Spares, Alfashop and MSW.

2. Autodelta sport/comfort setup. 25mm drop. Red springs and black dampers. £583. Possibly similar to the EB Spares Bilstein kit (which is no longer available). Quality kit, and possibly the best answer for somone who dislikes the standard setup's front suspension bump vibration and wallow. Improves both ride and handling and £90 less than FSDs and Eibachs.

3. KYB kit. MSW list at £357. The cheapest I've found. 35-45mm lower seems too much. Only available for TS and 1.9. These come with standard dampers, so are probably best avoided as 156s really need stronger damping.

4. Weitec Ultra GT non adjustable. 30mm drop. Available at MSW. £433. Weitec is the budget KW range so should be quite good.

5. Weitec GT coilovers. MSW again £585. Dampers are non adjustable, but ride height is. As with all coilovers, the rear struts take up less room.

6. Eibach Pro S coilovers. 35-65mm drop. Dampers are non adjustable, but finished in stainless for corrosion resistance. Cheapest at MSW for £675, or so I've found. Another good product, and perhaps the one for those who want to go as low as possible without bellying and scraping.

7. FK Highsport coilovers (do not confuse with KW). 25-55mm drop. The cheapest coilovers (non ebay) I've found. I've fitted FK to a couple of cars before. It seems ok, and not too hard with handling improvement. Seem perfectly acceptable to me. Does anyone have long term experience? £564 from Gazzella.

8. FK Silverline. As the Highsport, but with stainless damper bodies for corrosion resistance. These cost £646 from Gazzella and only do what the Eibach Pro S does. For £30 difference, I think everyone would choose Eibach for piece of mind.

9. Koni Sport adjustable dampers. £486 from MSW. If the damping characteristic is more important than ride height, which it should be for 147s and 156s, this is an option. Only slightly cheaper than the full kit with springs. The accent is on handling with the springs, but it's the cheapest option with adjustable damping and £50 cheaper than FSDs.

10. Eibach damper kit. Available from MSW for £338. This is probably the cheapest option for a sportpack car as the original springs could be re-used. These dampers were valved for use with the slightly firmer Eibach Pro springs. It should work well, and retain good ride quality, but will it stop the suspension bottoming? An extra £130 for the Eibach springs takes the total to £466 for a full kit from a quality manufacturer. Should still provide very good ride quality for an uprated and lowered suspension though.

Hopefully this will allow some sort of comparison to reduce the number of suspension upgrade threads we get. It may be useful to list the option number whilst discussing just to make it really simple and clear.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
i would like to add that i have a streetline kit from ebay £200 and think that as well as a vast improvment over standard they look to be exactly the same kit as the autodelta one (only different colour) at a fraction of the cost, i have yet to compare it with an autodelta one and would like to do so if there is anyone in the north west with that setup

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Streetline is a name for the budget Bilstein range. The dampers are standard, but the springs are uprated. Unless yours are different, and if you can, post a link, then I would say this is not a good option. Generally, the first thing this cars need is uprated damping, not lower and harder springs.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thanks for the info. Can you be more specific as to how they are better than standard though? 25% uprated dampers and springs can't be too far off the mark though, but I doubt they'd anything like as well sorted as Eibachs or Bilsteins.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
i would agree that they are probably not as good as most of the others but for the price they are fantastic, there is no grounding while going over speed bumps any more, there is far less body roll in corners, far less nose dive under braking, the back end sags far less on accelleration, loads more grip and a more secure less twitchey feeling on cornering, a little less comfortable on rough roads but nothing like unplesant, i use the car to commute from preston to warrington so it has to be useable and they fit the bill for me :)

unfortunately i have nothing to compare them to other than standard v6 suspension and my old 1.8ts sportspack and it is a big improvement over both setups

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
:cool: That's the point of the thread- to discuss the merits of suspensions which don't cost the earth.:thumbs:

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
looks like the thread is doing its job :thumbs:

i would very much like to meet up and compare with different, more expensive setups to find out how much difference there is between mine and a more expensive setup if there is anyone nearby :)

·
Registered
651 Posts
how come you say dont post if you have koni, but then koni is in your list of options:confused: ...........there not too hard at all, on soft there just the same as sport pack but the car feels alot more composed and safe

·
0 Posts
its not the bilstein ones its a full kit with dampers, they are no longer on ebay but here is a link to the kit

Alfa 156 suspension kits

the only thing i can fault is they took 2 months to deliver when i bought through ebay
I fitted one of those kit's back in April & have been impressed so far - cornering is now imporved & the ride isn't too harsh over speed bumps - (although I slow right down on the approach now!) cannot comment on the longevity yet though

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
how come you say dont post if you have koni, but then koni is in your list of options:confused: ...........there not too hard at all, on soft there just the same as sport pack but the car feels alot more composed and safe
I mentioned the Koni FSD dampers because they give better body control without any detriment to ride and ground clearance. I then included the Koni dampers because they appear to be the only adjustable damper available seperately for decent money. I thought it only fair to mention the full Koni kit because not everyone is too concerned about ride quality, and they should be mentioned here if nothing more than a cost illustration. I'm sure with the correct damper settings, they could produce seriously sorted handling.

·
Registered
844 Posts
The sportline springs lower the car by 30mm. Has anyone lowered a 156 with 15" wheels by 30mm. I am not looking to lower my car although I understand the whole lower centre of gravity thing. I really want better handling as I do not have the sport pack though. Realistically I suppose I need to get some 16" or 17" wheels before I progress with this mod?

Thanks Guys.
:)

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Wheel size doesn't matter as the sidewall to wheel ratio changes to keep the rolling circumference the same. -30mm springs will lower a standard car 30mm, but a sportpack car by only 15mm as they are already 15mm lower.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
205/55/16
225/45/17
(alfa may use 215 on 17, but 225 is more accurate to the veloce 205/55/16)

If any of this helps?

BTW, I have KONI sport kit, yes it is firm, but very grippy.

The car was driven by a chap who went to international on the the bikes a number of years back, driven whilst snowing at high speed on the twisties, 90deg bends etc, he was very impressed and commented also that without the Q2 the car wouldn't still be on the road!

·
Registered
562 Posts
i had KYB Excel G Dampers & Eibach Pro-Kit Springs on my last Car (nissan Primera) and it was a realy nice ride, on the compfort side no worse than stock, handling improved quite a lot.

The Eibach Springs are about 140€
The Dampers are about 320€
-------------------------------
total 460€ ~ 370 GBP

Can't do anything wrong with this kit.

·
Vendor
46,137 Posts
My FK Highsport coilovers are set too low and hard at the front, the ride is pretty poor. The car doesn't ground out though. But it looks like the threads on the front coilovers has corroded, to the point I don't want to attempt to adjust them, after being on the car less than 2 years, which is dissapointing. They will be coming off and I will be replacing them with Koni FSDs and Eibach Pro Kit springs, eventually..

·
Registered
996 Posts
i have bilsteins on mine compared to my old Alfa V6 which had soley Spax springs its really different. the car seemed to bounce with the hard spax springs.
dampers are a must.
dan can vouch for the comfort :)

1 - 20 of 84 Posts